Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

Waiting for a trio to a BSM , an old soldier posted to Gibraltar, then later France before returning home and dying of TB. In the 1911 census he has his home address as Artillery drill hall, Nelson road, in Great Yarmouth. He lists himself, wife and two children. Was it normal to have drill halls lived in?

It seems normal to have a house attached or alongside for the Drill Sergeant, certainly until around WWI.  You can usually quickly recognise from the style of the building.

Noticed today  a building on Coliergate, York, which is now a very good Hardware store, was originally a drill hall. There is a plaque to this effect on one side but it is very hard to read due to being hit by numerous vehicles. From what is legible it says West Yorkshire and rifles amongst other things. It looks on the side like several photos of other drill halls on this site, no doubt a standard plan was used.

What is perhaps surprising is that in a place with as much military building as York they still went ahead with a drill hall.

Always Ready has at least ten drill halls listed for York.  It has details Colliergate, I will type them out later when I have the desktop on a difficult with laptop balanced on my knee!

Colliergate Drill Hall

Large hall with highly decorated brick- and tile-work around doorway and windows; built for1 Corps, York Rifle Volunteers formed in 1859, they became the 1 Volunteer Bn. of West Yorkshire Regt. in 1887, with A-E Coys. in Yorks; currently used for retail.

Details of the memorial but no picture - sure they would like one if you get chance!

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30888

Also on Wonkypedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colliergate_drill_hall,_York

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1258004

York Herald - Saturday 02 October 1869

Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Since their establishment the York Rifle Volunteers have had the use of the Guildhall accorded them for the purposes of drill and parade by the Corporation; but that which was not at all an inconvenientaccommodation for 140 members has become so now that that number has become tripled. It was felt as the corps increased in numbers that a drll-shed, armoury, band-room, and other offices for ite use was most desirable; but owing to various circumstances, although some years have pasaed since thia desideratum was first mooted and an appeal made to the liberality of the public for its acquisition, the corps still drills in tbe Guildhall. This state of affairs, however, we are happy to state, is shortly to be altered, as Major Sir Jas. Meek (Captain-Commandant) has purchased, on behalf of the corps, an eligible site on which at present stands the Old Sand Hill Hotel and other premises in Colliergate. A prior site had been selected on Lord Mayor's Walk, but an increasing impression as to the inconvenience of the locality for a drill-hall led to the purchase of the above property, as affording a more eligible and central site.

9 hours ago, mbriscoe said:

It seems normal to have a house attached or alongside for the Drill Sergeant, certainly until around WWI.  You can usually quickly recognise from the style of the building.

thanks for that,

I did read that drill halls were often certain size rooms for drill, probably with a few offices but not accommodation, presumably not above as young family upstairs might not be able to sleep in evenings so separate house along side would make sense. the building is now a cheap furniture shop for low paid.

It could well depend on the area.  In a large city, the instructor would perhaps be able to travel from a nearby barracks or his home.  But someone posted to a rural area would find it difficult to find somewhere to live and it would be too far to travel.  Similar continued for many years in the church, police and other organisations where people tended to move around, even the BBC.

Adam and Eve Mews, London - West London RiflesCapture.JPG.2c964c99fc325e2e5096ce19d817a293.JPG

Capture.JPG

Duke's Road, London - Artists' RiflesCapture.JPG.ad29a62f56b94a647ef443741059efad.JPG

Comprehensive data on the drill hall of The Rangers (12th London Regt) in Chenies Street, which was originally built for the Bloomsbury Rifles, in this topic here ...

Modern appearance via StreetView:

https://goo.gl/maps/oQLE4Sq3hwS2

5 hours ago, Keith Woodland said:

Noticed today  a building on Coliergate, York, which is now a very good Hardware store, was originally a drill hall. There is a plaque to this effect on one side but it is very hard to read due to being hit by numerous vehicles. From what is legible it says West Yorkshire and rifles amongst other things. It looks on the side like several photos of other drill halls on this site, no doubt a standard plan was used.

http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Yorkshire/TownYork.htm

19 hours ago, chaz said:

. In the 1911 census he has his home address as Artillery drill hall, Nelson road, in Great Yarmouth. He lists himself, wife and two children. Was it normal to have drill halls lived in?

Yes, very common.  http://www.drillhalls.org/Anatomy.htm

Nelson Road, second drill hall down, in text & photos. http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Norfolk/TownGreatYarmouth.htm I have a contemporary image which I haven't uploaded.

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:13, BillyH said:

Just having a browse on this old topic, and member mbriscoe has been been posting several Scottish drill halls.

I thought I would dip my toe in the water with the drill hall at Aberlour which I am very familiar with. I don't have a photo of it because it isn't very photogenic (!) but I could get a photo later in the year.

Here is a link to it for anyone interested :

https://canmore.org.uk/site/192665/aberlour-7-the-square-old-drill-hall

BillyH.

My photo of Aberlour in 2007

20130203_1.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:16, WW1 Obsessed said:

Apologies if already been mentioned, but i didnt fancy trawling the 48 pages.. i found this

https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/iha-drill-halls/heag055-drill-halls-iha.pdf/

after a little search,

We contributed information to Historic England's (then English Heritage) research for this.

Note:

Thank you to contributors who have added posts to the thread. I haven't been active here for a year, so apologies if the lack of comment seemed ungracious.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

5 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Comprehensive data on the drill hall of The Rangers (12th London Regt) in Chenies Street, which was originally built for the Bloomsbury Rifles, in this topic here ...

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/248159-rangers-memorial/

Modern appearance via StreetView:

https://goo.gl/maps/oQLE4Sq3hwS2

Mark- I seem to remember that when this was discussed before, that we corresponded amicably as I used to live quite close to the memorial. But somewhere,somewhere deep wasn't there a mention of a recruiting film. c.1915 featuring The Rangers and their drill hall. If you have a memory of this could you let me know- I cannot locate it on You Tube-where I am sure I viewed it- and would like to see it again as I prepare to write up 2 local casualties of The Rangers.

Mark- I seem to remember that when this was discussed before, that we corresponded amicably as I used to live quite close to the memorial. But somewhere,somewhere deep wasn't there a mention of a recruiting film. c.1915 featuring The Rangers and their drill hall. If you have a memory of this could you let me know- I cannot locate it on You Tube-where I am sure I viewed it- and would like to see it again as I prepare to write up 2 local casualties of The Rangers.

Mike,

We've conversed in a few topics about the drill halls of several of the old Rifle Volunteer units in the London area, not just The Rangers - all amicable, but I don't remember this recruiting film I'm afraid.

That said, this film in the IWM collection matches your description 100%! ...

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060010035

RECRUITING FILM FOR THE 12TH (COUNTY OF LONDON) BATTALION, LONDON REGIMENT (RANGERS)

Object description

A recruiting film made sometime in the first twelve months of the First World War encouraging men from the Holborn District of London to join their local Territorial Force (TF) Regiment by showing some of its activities.

Full description

START 10:00:00
Titles 'THE "RANGERS" (12TH BATTALION LONDON REGIMENT. THE OLD GRAY'S INN CORPS NOW AT CHENIES ST., TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD'.
Intertitle 'The headquarters'.
A single shot showing several non-commissioned officers standing around smoking cigarettes in conversation with one another at the entrance to the Chenies Street Headquarters of the 12th (County of London) Battalion (note the recruiting posters on the building); a man in a suit and straw boater pauses to look at the recruiting posters on the wall of the headquarters and is approached by one of the NCOs (a Sergeant). A uniformed police constable strolling by on his beat stops to find out what's going on before continuing on his way. The Sergeant steers the civilian into the entrance of the headquarters.

Intertitle 'Recruits being attested'.
A single shot filmed inside the Drill Hall in Chenies Street showing four young men volunteering for service with the the London Regiment; they are seen standing in a row with interlinked arms alongside a recruiting Sergeant listening to an officer read out the oath of allegiance to King George V. They each kiss a copy of the Bible and then hand it to the recruiting Sergeant who puts it down on the table in front of them.

Intertitle 'Clothed and kitted within two hours'.
A single shot inside the drill hall showing three new volunteers being issued with a field cap, a greatcoat and a tunic as well as other items of army clothing by members of the battalion, watched by the quartermaster sergeant (?) standing next to a table where uniforms ready for issue have been placed.

Intertitle 'Return From drill'.
A single shot consisting of a view down Chenies Street towards Gower Street showing the band of the 12th Battalion (?), London Regiment, marching at the head of approximately sixty four members of the Rangers led by two officers and four senior NCOs. The procession is followed by some children on the pavement. Two London taxi cabs bring up the rear.

Intertitle 'Being paid'.
A single shot filmed inside Chenies Street Drill Hall showing members of the Rangers battalion on pay parade and two NCOs and an officer standing behind a table where the battalion pay clerk is seated with documents in front of him. Five soldiers step forward in turn, salute, receive a small envelope containing their pay from the officer whilst the pay clerk notes his name, salutes again and leaves.

10:03:07
Intertitle 'A performance by the Rangers (sic) fine band'.
High angle panning shots over all thirty four members of the military band with the band leader and conductor in the middle as they perform to a small number of civilians in a street.

Intertitle 'THE FINISHED SOLDIER - JOIN THE "RANGERS" AND "DO YOUR BIT.
THE FIRST BATTALION IS AT THE FRONT. THE SECOND BATTALION IS AT IPSWICH. THE 3RD BATTALION IS AT TADWORTH TRAINING FOR THE 1ST AND 2ND'.
A line of riflemen (probably from the 3rd/12th London Regiment) mainly wearing greatcoats crouched low in a ditch behind a hedgerow being ordered by two officer instructors to keep moving. The location is probably Tadworth near Epsom in Surrey. Two officers dressed to keep the damp at bay watch the exercises from the edge of a wood. Scenes showing a platoon-sized detachment of riflemen wearing field caps and greatcoats deploying in close order inside a wood and a signaller using a flag to send a message. A section of riflemen breaks cover and advances in open order across a field. The rest of the platoon form up at the edge of the field and then retire into the wood. The section seen earlier advancing across the field retreats past haystacks back to the wood. Riflemen lying on the ground and kneeling in close order work the bolts of their Lee Enfield SMLE Mk 1 rifles to suggest that they are in action although it is clear that their weapons are not loaded.

Concluding intertitle
'THE RANGERS IS YOUR LOCAL TERRITORIAL BATTALION. SHOW YOUR PLUCK AND PATRIOTISM. DON'T LEAVE YOUR PALS IN THE LURCH; THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR YOU. FALL IN AND HELP THEM'.

Production date:  1915

Catalogue number:  MGH 354

Haven't found a version available on-line though.  Let us all know if you do - it sounds useful.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark-Thank you for the very full information-I think the film was on You Tube and has since been deleted. It did lead me to look further at what was out there and the Pathe films coming up on You Tube are very interesting. There also seems to be some good material on the viewable stuff now available from the British Film Institute.

I have a couple of local casualties with The Rangers and pass The Drill Hall quite often. A contemporary pic. of The Rangers would be good to go with the write-ups. Surprisingly, for a battalion that included many from The Polytechnic, the regimental history is not good on OR. Informative and better than many regimentals but individual ORs don't rate.  Never mind.....   I will have to do my KRRC casualties in due course, so I may well be picking your brains about them.   :wub:

I popped up to the Argyle Road Drill Hall in Sevenoaks earlier to take a couple of shots. There were a couple sunbathing in the grounds so I couldn’t do much more.

Also attached is a profile of the sergeant instructor for the 4th Royal West Kents, William Hayward.

98FC1EC4-E564-43FC-AE34-E9CD6C4FE49D.jpeg

60036C1A-E65E-4C05-8201-D1AB4F09DDDD.jpeg

C1F2283D-AC90-4D75-A73F-6BBD5D431E3D.jpeg

28D495CE-87C2-4D93-9321-D43058A9098B.png

What a wonderful portrait of a characterful old rifleman!  I'll tell Andy about this gem!

Thanks for sharing this Matt.

Cheers,

Mark

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but there was a drill hall at Birdwell, Barnsley:  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4148044

Much altered now, the former rifle range in the basement was used as a shooting club in the 1980's and 90's, of which I was a member.

The Wartime Memories Project records the drill hall as being used by H Coy, 5th York and Lancaster Regiment.

Edited by 593jones

Hello there 593jones,

Some years ago I took photo's of this building for this forum thread, I even went into the ladies hairdressers to explain why I was taking photo's of the building.

I submitted them to Gwyn and Greame and I gave up my rights to them over to Gwyn and the project.

Cheers Roger.

17 hours ago, Roger Thompson said:

Some years ago I took photo's of this building for this forum thread, I even went into the ladies hairdressers to explain why I was taking photo's of the building.

I submitted them to Gwyn and Greame and I gave up my rights to them over to Gwyn and the project.

Here they are:

http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Yorkshire/TownBirdwell.htm

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon
Spacing

Here in Ninfield we have the oldest Cinque Ports Artillery Drill Shed still surviving, as our Memorial Hall.

We're pretty confident of 1865 for its construction, paid for by Thomas Brassey, the railway contractor (NOT in the Beeching sense!) for his son, the future Lord Thomas Allnut Brassey.

23 hours ago, Roger Thompson said:

Hello there 593jones,

Cheers Roger.

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

That's excellent, had I been less lazy and disinclined to read all 49 pages of the thread I would have seen them  :wub: 

It was a great shame the shooting club had to close, but on a brighter note, the former owner has now opened a new shooting club in Barnsley (sorry for thread drift!)

Edited by 593jones