Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Graeme Fisher

Drill halls

chaz

thanks Dave, lived there so many years and didn't know!:blush:

mbriscoe

I was a talk tonight promoting a new book, The Moidart Sniper.

The author's father was in the Lovat Scouts at Moidart.  I asked him where the drill hall was and he said Shielbridge.  I can't find any mention of one or see it on the map.

mbriscoe

Kingussie Drill Hall is being converted into a private residence.

mbriscoe

I was trying to find the Gairloch Drill Hall.  This fits with description in Always Ready.

But they were still raising funds in 1895 so must have been something earlier.

Down Low Road there is a pair of houses with one called "The Old Armoury".

Former Gairloch Drill Hall
-
Auchtercairn
NG 80137 77016
-
Described in 'Always Ready' as opposite Low Road and pre-WW1, corrugated iron-clad hut.
-Location confirmed by  alocal
-
In 1895 they were still trying to raise funds for a new drill hall but seem to using a site somewhere in the Auchtercairn area from at last the 1880s.
-
 Inverness Courier - Friday 11 December 1891
Gairloch Exhibition of Stockings and Yarn. — The annual exhibition of Gairloch stockings and yarn was held in the Volunteer Drill Hall, Achtercairn, on Tuesday last, the Ist inst.
-
Ross-shire Journal - Friday 14 December 1894
DRILL HALL FOR GAIRLOCH.
SUCCESSFUL CONCERT THE HOTEL.
On Friday evening concert in aid of the Gairloch Drill Hall Building Fund was held in the Gairloch Hotel.
-
 Ross-shire Journal - Friday 19 April 1895
VOLUNTEER DRILL HALL AT GAIRLOCH. — The want of a proper Drill Hall in Gairloch is a matter which has been engaging public attention there, as on several occasions the lack of the necessary accommodation for any functions which might be held was severely felt. Captain Lamont, of the local Volunteer Company, has set about remedying these complaints in a practical way, in so far that, along with a willing Committee, a concert for to-night (Friday), has been organised, the proceeds of which will go, along with some money already collected, towards the building fund. Mr J. H. Dixon of Inveran has kindly agreed to preside.
-
 Ross-shire Journal - Friday 06 September 1895
GAIRLOCH VOLUNTEER BAZAAR — The bazaar in aid of the funds now being; raised to provide a drill hall and instructor’s quarters for I (Gairloch) Coy. Ist V. B. Seaforth Highlands was opened on Tuesday of last week at noon, by Mr and Mrs Rudd of Shieldaig Lodge.
-

FLICKR

5-JMB_22_09_2018_10_16_35_0002376203.JPG.04bfbbd9c40f0374fea764d43fc789ad.JPG

mbriscoe

Still trying to identify the location of the Moidart Drill Hall at Shielbridge.  I had a look in the Valuation Roll but can't see it - does not prove that it does not exist of course. 

Interesting to see some of the other ones in Argyll that are not in Always Ready

Dalmally

Tayinloan

Ditto

Also

Glenbarr

Ballygrant

Jura (site of)

Also

Kilkenzie

I know these are after WWI but could have been there earlier and not picked in the roll or the use of a hall formalised post-WWI

mbriscoe

A bit more

Army and Navy Gazette - Saturday 27 January 1912

The drill halls at Oban and Lochgilphead have been completed, and the building of the new drill hall at Ballygrant will shortly be proceeded with. Sanction has been given by the military authorities for the erection of a rifle range at Bowmore, Islay, for the use of G Co. 8th Batn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. A proposal has been received by the Association from the Marquis of Breadalbane to make the accommodation at Dalmally Drill Hall larger than that sanctioned by the War Office, and as Lord Breadalbane's proposal seems reasonable one, it has been submitted to the War Office for approval. The County Association have agreed to leave the period of re-engagement of timeexpired men to the discretion of officers commanding units.