Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

• 2 months later...

I was trying to find the Gairloch Drill Hall.  This fits with description in Always Ready.

But they were still raising funds in 1895 so must have been something earlier.

Down Low Road there is a pair of houses with one called "The Old Armoury".

Former Gairloch Drill Hall
-
Auchtercairn
NG 80137 77016
-
Described in 'Always Ready' as opposite Low Road and pre-WW1, corrugated iron-clad hut.
-Location confirmed by  alocal
-
In 1895 they were still trying to raise funds for a new drill hall but seem to using a site somewhere in the Auchtercairn area from at last the 1880s.
-
 Inverness Courier - Friday 11 December 1891
Gairloch Exhibition of Stockings and Yarn. — The annual exhibition of Gairloch stockings and yarn was held in the Volunteer Drill Hall, Achtercairn, on Tuesday last, the Ist inst.
-
Ross-shire Journal - Friday 14 December 1894
DRILL HALL FOR GAIRLOCH.
SUCCESSFUL CONCERT THE HOTEL.
On Friday evening concert in aid of the Gairloch Drill Hall Building Fund was held in the Gairloch Hotel.
-
 Ross-shire Journal - Friday 19 April 1895
VOLUNTEER DRILL HALL AT GAIRLOCH. — The want of a proper Drill Hall in Gairloch is a matter which has been engaging public attention there, as on several occasions the lack of the necessary accommodation for any functions which might be held was severely felt. Captain Lamont, of the local Volunteer Company, has set about remedying these complaints in a practical way, in so far that, along with a willing Committee, a concert for to-night (Friday), has been organised, the proceeds of which will go, along with some money already collected, towards the building fund. Mr J. H. Dixon of Inveran has kindly agreed to preside.
-
 Ross-shire Journal - Friday 06 September 1895
GAIRLOCH VOLUNTEER BAZAAR — The bazaar in aid of the funds now being; raised to provide a drill hall and instructor’s quarters for I (Gairloch) Coy. Ist V. B. Seaforth Highlands was opened on Tuesday of last week at noon, by Mr and Mrs Rudd of Shieldaig Lodge.
-

FLICKR

5-JMB_22_09_2018_10_16_35_0002376203.JPG.04bfbbd9c40f0374fea764d43fc789ad.JPG

Still trying to identify the location of the Moidart Drill Hall at Shielbridge.  I had a look in the Valuation Roll but can't see it - does not prove that it does not exist of course. 

Interesting to see some of the other ones in Argyll that are not in Always Ready

Dalmally

Tayinloan

Ditto

Also

Glenbarr

Ballygrant

Jura (site of)

Also

Kilkenzie

I know these are after WWI but could have been there earlier and not picked in the roll or the use of a hall formalised post-WWI

A bit more

Army and Navy Gazette - Saturday 27 January 1912

The drill halls at Oban and Lochgilphead have been completed, and the building of the new drill hall at Ballygrant will shortly be proceeded with. Sanction has been given by the military authorities for the erection of a rifle range at Bowmore, Islay, for the use of G Co. 8th Batn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. A proposal has been received by the Association from the Marquis of Breadalbane to make the accommodation at Dalmally Drill Hall larger than that sanctioned by the War Office, and as Lord Breadalbane's proposal seems reasonable one, it has been submitted to the War Office for approval. The County Association have agreed to leave the period of re-engagement of timeexpired men to the discretion of officers commanding units.

• 1 month later...

FLICKR

Pitlochry Former Drill Hall / Armoury
-
 Dundee Courier - Saturday 29 August 1891
"as regards volunteers in particular, he might say that the Pitlochry corps had always been in debt. They could not put in uniform under £5, and supposing the Company was 100 strong, that would mean an expenditure of £500 for clothing. Then they also required targets, shooting ranges, armouries, and a house for the drill instructor, all of which entailed a considerable expenditure, which was not forthcoming when the volunteer movement took place"

Armoury not on 1900 OS Map
 Dundee Evening Post - Friday 27 April 1900
(drawing of public hall)
Public Hall just been completed in Pitlochry.
The hall besides being of much use as a place of entertainment, is expected to be largely taken advantage of as a drill hall for the volunteers, who are a numerousbody in Pitlochry.

Edinburgh Evening News - Tuesday 16 June 1903
PITLOCHRY DRILL HALL BURNED DOWN. — Last night the armoury and drill hall of H Company (Pitlochry) 5th V.B.R.H., together with the drill instructor's dwelling-house attached, was destroyed by fire. The Outbreak began in the armoury, and the building being lined with wood and water scarce, the flames spread rapidly,  to the accompaniment of exploding cartridges The damage is estimated at about £500.

Dundee Courier - Monday 28 March 1910
Function at Pitlochry Drill Hall
Colour-Sergeant-Instructor Birch has just expired as instructor to H Company, 8th Royal Highlanders (Cyclist) Battalion.
 Dundee Courier - Wednesday 05 April 1911
"Only a few years since new armoury and Drill Hall together with drill-instructor's dwelling-house, were erected"

-
Pitlochry, Armoury Road, Drill Hall And Armoury
Armoury (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), House (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Pitlochry, Armoury Road, Drill Hall And Armoury
Classification Armoury (20th Century), Drill Hall (First World War), House (Period Unassigned)
Alternative Name(s) House And Armoury, The Old Armoury
Canmore ID 168273
Site Number NN95NW 98
NGR NN 93660 58049
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/168273

01-JMB_13_11_2018_15_00_56_0002439403.JPG.2180787e0cc395dcc6f00e388f609398.JPG02-JMB_13_11_2018_15_01_22_0002439503.JPG.c4166ed89a48d7ae3beb9a57b28a1dae.JPG10-JMB_13_11_2018_15_04_08_0002440303.JPG.755a50d49afe13a45925dde6dc082f57.JPG11-JMB_13_11_2018_15_04_48_0002440403.JPG.accf9baa97b4a136580d6950e5fc9dca.JPG

On 18/11/2016 at 16:09, mbriscoe said:

Just wish I had taken some before it was refurbished or could find them if I did!

Fort William Drill Hall

There is a Drill Hall marked on the 2nd  Edition OS Map roughly where the West Highland Museum is now.  So there was a Drill Hall because I have found references to election meetings there in 1880 but no location given.

The later one was said to have been used as a Gun Operations Room in WWII.

Someone pointed out to me today that there was another Drill Hall marked on the maps.

1860s they drilled in the Fort

1871 OS map show Voluntees' Drill Hall at the East end fo the town, roughly around where the Imperial Hotel is now.  It is a long building.

1899 map shows the one around Cameron Square.  The previous one is not marked as such but the building is still there with another along side.  It has possibly been shortened because of the railway line running past one end.

Going to have to check the newspaper archive again.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit bigger than a drill hall, but this seems like the most appropriate place to post the question. I have a few similar questions to follow.

A family member was in the King's Royal Rifle Corps, and was sent to Winchester. I gather that the barracks have been renamed, but are still standing. Would this be the correct address as at September 1914?

KRRC Garrison, Rifle Depot, Upper Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester

Thanks
Keith

On 22/09/2018 at 22:49, mbriscoe said:

I was trying to find the Gairloch Drill Hall.  This fits with description in Always Ready.

But they were still raising funds in 1895 so must have been something earlier.

Down Low Road there is a pair of houses with one called "The Old Armoury".

FLICKR

5-JMB_22_09_2018_10_16_35_0002376203.JPG.04bfbbd9c40f0374fea764d43fc789ad.JPG

I stayed in there in 1969 whilst serving with the Royal Engineers. I have a feeling that this was a wooden structure at the time but may have covered with CGI later. It might be that my memory is playing up though. The front part was a small kitchen area and there were toilets on the right hand side in the main hall with a couple of wash basins. We were there for several week repairing the pier at the harbour. The diving team recovered a WW1 German gun barrel just off the pier which I think was identified as a piece of naval ordnance. The local story was that it had been given to the village as a war trophy and mounted somewhere in the village. When the men came home from war some took strong objection to it and hauled it down to the pier and threw it in the loch. 

TR

5 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I stayed in there in 1969 whilst serving with the Royal Engineers. I have a feeling that this was a wooden structure at the time but may have covered with CGI later. It might be that my memory is playing up though. The front part was a small kitchen area and there were toilets on the right hand side in the main hall with a couple of wash basins. We were there for several week repairing the pier at the harbour. The diving team recovered a WW1 German gun barrel just off the pier which I think was identified as a piece of naval ordnance. The local story was that it had been given to the village as a war trophy and mounted somewhere in the village. When the men came home from war some took strong objection to it and hauled it down to the pier and threw it in the loch. 

TR

It sounds quite possible that the structure was reclad with something longer lasting.

Hadnt heard about the gun, what happened to it!  I bet the museum would like to have had it.  Don't know if you have see but the old AAOR is being converted to be the new home for the museum.

Some years ago I went to a conducted walk around the sites around Loch Ewe and we were given coffee etc in the church hall in Poolewe.  We discovered that the WWII Gun Operations Room was nearby, completely unknown to anyone outside the area (and they did not know what it was!).

• 1 year later...
On 19/05/2003 at 21:22, HERITAGE PLUS said:

Graeme

Chippenham Youth & Community Centre

The Bridge Centre

Bath Road

Chippenham

Wilts

4th. Wiltshire Regt. Territorial Army HQ and Drill Hall originally built in 1911 but substantially rebuilt in the 1960s and only recognisable as a 60s building. Externally there are a number of outbuildings. This centre is situated in the middle of a gigantic traffic roundabout. .

Still in use by Wiltshire ACF

Another one in Chippenham.

s-l1600.jpg

Though a clearer photograph of the hall at a different time is on the Drill Hall project

• 2 months later...

Because of a temporary glitch, the drill halls site can be reached through www.drillhalls.org.uk rather than its usual address.  

Edited by Dragon

• 4 weeks later...

This is the drill Hall in Wigan being demolished, probably in the 1990's. A road widening scheme was to be done so it had to go.

Wigan Drill hall.jpg

Thank you for that. How very saddening. 

There are more photos on the Wigan World website. https://www.wiganworld.co.uk/search.php?q=drill hall

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was given this image for reasons nothing to do with drill halls but having looked for a similar shot I can't find one anywhere so thought it may be of use or interest.

5th Royal Sussex Regiment Cinque Ports 1913, I have no idea if this is Rye or Hastings or ?? The number over the door is either 57 or 37. I have a higer-res version which is a little better, PM if needed. I have no idea who the pen-marked individual is.

TEW

drill.jpg.223e41ace66ffbe041d7e1b61329a06e.jpg

I cannot be certain but the possible drill hall locations are as follows

image.png.e571976f6f6297e69c3082c4674351e4.png

We are looking for a drill hall constructed in 1913 - date on inscription - and newspaper articles describe Crowborough as being constructed in 1913 (officially opened 1914). The site was in Fermor Road. I have not found any photos of the building but the 1920 OS map is below and also with a text description from 1914 of the new building. The single storey structure to the right of the drill hall is not on the map which is perhaps worrying for Crowborough as the location. I cannot make out what the signs says.

image.png.f311074ee85a25d7e351410036065f6c.pngimage.png.ed8a43378932d9ab4ed31253b6c1ecea.png

Today the hall has been demolished but I know Crowborough a little and the photo is a possible match for this part of town. The other 7 towns had drill halls that do not fit with the evidence as well as does Crowbrough. Happy to be proved wrong by someone with real knowledge!

Closer look at the image and I'm 95% sure the number over the door is 57. The sign to the right looks like A Corden, only the D is suspect.

Not seen an A Corden in the 1915 Sussex Directory for Crowborough. But there is an Albert Corden in the 1916 directory for Uckfield. A coal, coke and wood merchant and carrier, based at 63 High Street which I'm sure is not the location of the hall but perhaps an out of town store for Mr Corden?

I wonder if my photo is the same for West Sussex Record Office via TNA?

Clipboard01.jpg.afdefd4876e120bfd3075000fc47d66c.jpg

TEW

The Uckfield Drill Hall was approved for construction in 1912 so completion in 1913 is possible. I cannot find Albert Corden as active in Crowborough, just as you say in Uckfield which is geographically v close. It is suggested that the Uckfield drill hall was on Framfield Road. I cannot turn up a decent OS map later than 1913 for the immediate post WW1 period. Today this part of the road has been redeveloped but it was previously industrial units.

I think the jury is still out but I now lean towards Uckfield but someone out there may know for sure.

CPK

In July the Manchester Evening News reported that the Bury Drill Hall had been closed 'on saftey grounds' https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/historic-castle-armoury-in-bury-24392867. It was hoped that the closure was temporary, and there have been other reports elsewhere of moves to try to raise £2 billion, including from the MOD, to restore it. So far as I am aware it remains closed, and, although it was hoped that its closure would be temporary, who knows?

• 1 month later...

Is there an EMail address for Mike Osborne?

Always Ready does not list a drill hall in Archiestown but when I sent in some pictures to Grampian HER, they recognised this hall as being a drill hall on the 25" map.

07-2W9A9039.JPG

04-2W9A9036.JPG