Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill halls

Graeme Fisher

This is the former Drill Hall at Fauldhouse, West Lothian, as it looked on 5th December 2009.

I have found newspaper cuttings discussing it as far back as 1910 when it was being built for the purpose of training the 1-10th (Cyclists) Bn, Royal Scots.

The hall runs the length of the pathway, and it was used for rifle practice etc.

The front of the building originally sported two vertical windows either side of a main door.

post-34757-1260305956.jpg

This is the building side on. The address is Bridge Street, Fauldhouse.

Many of the names listed on the strategically placed War Memorial, walked through it's doors, including my Great Uncle.

post-34757-1260306406.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

4th Durham Howitzer Brigade R.F.A. (T.F.) - Bolingbroke Hall, Bolingbroke Street, South Shields, - Durham TA Association

Picture can be found at this link

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/CustomPages/...;sectionID=6149

Extract from Shields Gazette Thursday, 23rd July 2009

Bolingbroke Hall's origins were particularly bracing, the place having been built in 1884 at a cost of £3,000 as the headquarters of the 3rd Durham Volunteer Artillery which had been formed in 1859.

It was endowed with a drill hall which was considered one of the largest in the country, as well as offices and a large parade ground.

The hall was used as a mobilisation centre during both world wars but was eventually taken over by the old South Shields Borough Council in the 1960s when, at that time, it was the home of the 274 (Northumbrian) Field Regiment RA (TA).

Bolingbroke Street today

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.994485&a...r=0&src=msl

Further information on Bolingbroke Hall;

Bolingbroke Hall was the Headquarters of the 4th Durham (Howitzer) Brigade, and the location of the 4th Durham Battery and half of the Brigade Ammunition Column.

The 2nd Battery, 5th Durham Battery, and the other half of the Brigade Ammunition Column were based in Ellison Street, Hebburn - Durham TA Association

Seaham Harbour - Castlereagh Rd, Seaham, County Durham Durham TA Association

Built in 1888 for 2nd Durham (Seaham) Volunteer Artillery Brigade. In 1914 it was the Headquarters of 3rd Northumbrian (County of Durham) Brigade RFA (TF), the 1st Durham Battery, and the Brigade Ammunition Column. In 1958 it was converted into a clothing factory and burned down in 1986.

http://www.east-durham.co.uk/seaham/volunt...imagepage2.html

http://www.east-durham.co.uk/seaham/street...imagepage5.html

Thank you very much for the information, Ian. It's very helpful.

I'm sorry for the delay in either of us responding to you; I was away over New Year.

Gwyn

The Armoury, Victoria Road, West Hartleppol - Durham TA Association

Durham, R.G.A.(T.F.);-

H.Q; No.III; No.IV; No.V & No.VI Coy's

3rd Northumbrian(County of Durham)Bde,R.F.A.(T.F.);-

3rd Durham Bty

West Hartlepool Armoury, Victoria Road The building was later demolished to make way for Middleton Grange Shopping Centre. The parade ground of the armoury became the location of the West Hartlepool, War Memorial, built in 1923.

Map showing location:

post-46676-1262543342.jpg

Location today:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.684439&a...r=0&src=msl

Hartlepool War memorial on the old parade ground:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Durham/HartlepoolWest.html

Huge thanks to forum member Martin Harvey for venturing forth yesterday to take photos of a soon-to-be-demolished drill hall in response to a personal request from me. It's much appreciated.

Thanks for the further information about the north east, Ian.

Gwyn

• 3 weeks later...

Drill Hall Barrack Road, Newcastle upon Tyne

1st Northumbrian Bde, R.F.A.(T.F.);-

H.Q.

1st & 2nd Northumberland Bty's

1st Northumbrian Ammunition Column

Current Status : Converted to Appartments

The drill hall Barrack Road Newcastle was the Headquarters of the 1st Northumbrian Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force. It housed the 1st and 2nd Northumberland Batteries and the Brigade Ammunition Column. Barrack Road refers to the Infantry and Artillery Barracks to the North West of the drill hall. The first reference to the Drill Hall on Barrack Road was found in Ward's Directory for 1891-92.

The 3rd Northumberland Battery was based in Dunn Street, Elswick

The drill hall is opposite St James Park, home of Newcastle United. When the 1st Northumbrian Brigade was mobilised in 1914, the drill hall and St James Park were used for accommodation.

Subsequently the drill hall was used as headquarters for 72 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (TA) , together with 2 gun batteries and 272 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (TA), again with 2 gun batteries. In 1967 it became Regimental HQ and HQ Battery, 101 (Northumbrian) Regiment RA (V), until 1981 when it was sold for conversion into apartments.

Barrack Road Drill Hall 1960's

post-46676-1264716325.jpg

Ordnance Survey 1896

post-46676-1264716338.jpg

Barrack Road Drill Hall today

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.975158&lon=-1.62512&z=17.4&r=0&src=msl

Thank you very much indeed for that excellent information, Ian. It will all be saved until we prepare that area.

Gwyn

Hi Ian

In my youth in Newcastle there was a drill hall in Northumberland Road, opposite the City Hall and the Northumberland Baths. Is it still there and is it the right era?

cheers Martin B

Martin

I also remember this from my youth !!! The Drill Hall you are referring to is St Georges Drill Hall and it is still there, but it is no longer a drill hall. The 'St Georges Drill Hall' was moved to Sandyford Road, a modern building, which i believe is still a TA Centre.

The drill hall is on my research list.

From a post by Graham Stewart which detailed addresses of the Drill Halls extracted from "Robert Wards Naval & Military Directory for Newcastle & Durham - July 1910, St Georges Dill Hall it is shown as the location of 6th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers and Northumbrian Division ASC.

6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(T.F.);-

H.Q. - St.Georges Drill Hall, Newcastle.

'A'; 'B'; 'C'; 'D'; 'E'; 'F'; 'G' & 'H' Coy's - St.Georges Drill Hall, Newcastle.

Northumbrian Divisional Transport & Supply Column, A.S.C.(T.F.);-

Divisional(H.Q.)Coy & Northumberland Bde Coy - St.Georges Drill Hall, Newcastle.

What I am not sure of is whether this is the same drill hall we remember from our youth, or if it was in another location.

Ian

Elswick Drill Hall, Dunn Street, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne.

1st Northumbrian Bde, R.F.A.(T.F.);-

3nd Northumberland Bty

Current Status: Demolished

The Elswick Battery Drill Hall was near Lord Armstrong's Elswick Engineering works on the banks of the River Tyne in Newcastle. During the second Boer War the 1st Northumberland Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) volunteered for Imperial Service and in January 1900 authority was given for it to raise a battery for the war. This battery was composed entirely of men from the Lord Armstrong's factory and was given the title the Elswick Battery. On the formation of the Territorial Force, the Elswick Battery became the 3rd Northumberland Battery in the 1st Northumberland Brigade RFA (TF). On mobilisation in 1914, some Battery members were not allowed to deploy with the rest of the Brigade, their expertise and skills being required in the Ordnance factories of the Elswick works.

post-46676-1264805217.jpg

Dunn Street, Elswick. Newcastle upon Tyne. Today

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.961485&a...r=0&src=msl

Thank you again! You mentioned Graham Stewart's post; I think that Graham and Graeme communicated about this area a while ago.

Re Northumberland Road, Newcastle: the database includes this information from Kelly's Directory, 1894: 'The Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry, which forms part of the 12th Yeomanry Brigade, have head quarters and drill ground in Northumberland road.' and Kelly, 1914: ‘Northumberland (Hussars) Yeomanry Territorial Force; head quarters [and A squadron], riding school and armoury, Burt hall, Northumberland road.'

I haven't been through the database yet and added these contributions to the material Graeme already has; I've been poorly and have stuff of my own to do. So please excuse the lack of informed comment. Graeme knows the area better than I do, anyway.

Gwyn

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to draw attention to this thread. The former drill hall in St Peter's Lane, Canterbury, is at risk of demolition.

The group fighting to save it would welcome any information from Kent experts.

Many thanks.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

We are now on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/DrillHalls

Gwyn

• 2 months later...

From a post by Graham Stewart which detailed addresses of the Drill Halls extracted from "Robert Wards Naval & Military Directory for Newcastle & Durham - July 1910, St Georges Dill Hall it is shown as the location of 6th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers and Northumbrian Division ASC.

6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(T.F.);-

'A'; 'B'; 'C'; 'D'; 'E'; 'F'; 'G' & 'H' Coy's - St.Georges Drill Hall, Newcastle.

Northumbrian Divisional Transport & Supply Column, A.S.C.(T.F.);-

Divisional(H.Q.)Coy & Northumberland Bde Coy - St.Georges Drill Hall, Newcastle.

/quote]

Kelly's Directory 1886 (Page 134)

"St George's Drill Hall, situated in St Mary's place off Bath road, and built in 1883, for the head quarters of the 3rd V.B. Northumberland Fusiliers, is a building of red brick with stone dressings in the Norman style.

The large drill hall is 195ft long and 95ft wide, and will hold 10,000 people standing, or 2,000 seated; attached to the hall is the sergeant-majors residence, officer's mess, sergeant's mess room, and lavatory, &c. ; dinners can easily be provided for 2,000 persons; at the west end of the building is gallery seating for 100 persons. There are store rooms and armoury, the latter containing 740 rifles."

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Ian. I'm sorry for the very late response; I've only just returned to this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Todays East Anglian Daily Times

Drill Hall in New Road, Framlingham, to be demolished for housing.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/former_mod_hall_to_make_way_for_homes_1_649934

Thank you. :) We knew plans to demolish it had been kicking around for some years. I think the community hoped to save it for youth use.

Please see http://www.drillhall...Framlingham.htm

I took this in March, 2007:

4996251672_c3dfa64597_z.jpg

Gwyn

Im glad you have a picture as I am only a few miles away and would have popped over and taken one,

but it would not be for a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Norman

• 4 months later...

I believe Hammersmith and Fulham Council voted yesterday to dispose of the 1898 Drill Hall in Shepherd's Bush, despite local opposition. Other buildings are also to go.

Local people tell me that the disposal will probably lead to demolition. This drill hall was recently renovated and refurbished with European money among other funding. It is well used by a range of local groups and indeed was the location chosen for a photo opportunity for the Deputy Prime Minister to promote Sure Start (I may have the project title wrong) unaware that the building and therefore the children's group was under threat.

The generous gift of a local Captain (Stephen A Walker), the building is being sold as a short term answer to council debt.

Gwyn

Gwyn

I am not surprised to hear that H&F are trying to sell off the Drill Hall. They have caused a a huge furore as they are also selling off the Irish Centre which is a very well used venue in Hammersmith. So many of the places where people can gather are being destroyed.

Another Drill Hall that is being sold is the one in Rhayader, Mid Wales however in this case it was already being used as a small supermarket and the reason for its closure is probably more to do with one of the large chains of supermarkets opening a store 10 miles away.

Myrtle

You sent us some super information about Rhayader; it has an interesting history and I hope it survives.

We sent an historical statement for the use of the people trying to save the Drill Hall (Village Hall) in Shepherd's Bush. Looking at the Consultation, I noted that H&F used '58 Bulwer Street' instead of 'Village Hall' or 'old Drill Hall'. I suspect that quite a lot of respondents weren't aware that this was the address of the Village Hall and therefore didn't realise which building was meant.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a photo of the drill hall in High St, Cowdenbeath, Fife ?

I think it was the hall for one of the companies of the 7th Black Watch.

Also, what about the drill hall in Chelmsford , Essex, near the bus-station ? Built, I believe, for the 5th TF battalion of the Pompadours, I think it was used latterly by the Essex Yeomanry.