Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines sergeant WW1

domwalsh

post-1778-1146739435.jpg

Hello everyone.

I am trying to identify this Portsmouth RMLI man, who is one of four sergeants sitting in a row. The photo was taken at Deal in 1918. According to the muster, two of the men are lance sergeants and two are full sergeants, but there is no apparent difference in the four men's stripes apart from this man's extra badge above his stripes. Someone suggested it could signify he's a colour sergeant but that doesn't tally with the muster. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any help much appreciated.

Dom

Dom,

As he is a Royal Marine I would say possibly Colour Sergeant. Not 100 % sure

but the badge is a bit suspect for a crown and it is only on one side. I am not sure

of official rank insignia but I would of thought the crown would be placed on both arms.

Any chance of seeing the full picture as I am also interested in the RMLI(see signature).

Do you know any history of the picture? If it was taken at Deal he could be maybe a territorial

being finally called up because as far as I am aware Deal was the main recruit training establishment.

regards,

Simon.

Instructor's badge of some sort?

Looks very much like the larger style 'Lewis Gunner' LG in a wreath ?

magnified it looks like a Royal Marine badge! is there any precedent for that?

Mick

Thanks for all the responses. He definitely can't be a colour sergeant so one of the other suggestions must be closer to the truth. The picture is of 5 Platoon of the 4th Battalion RMLI taken shortly before they went on the Zeebrugge Raid on St George's Day 1918. To see the full pic go to the following link:

http://www.stock.org.uk/history/ww1/ramsde...aac-garland.htm.

The officer is Lt TFV Cooke who won the DSO for his gallantry. The bugler in front of him is Bug Gutteridge who won the DSM. The only sgt I've positively identified is on Cooke's right hand, Sgt H Camfield. I've also identified the only corporal in the pic (with his stripes almost hidden sitting next to the mystery man with the badge): he is Cpl Masters. I was hoping the badge might help me identify our moustachioed friend. The private sitting on the ground extreme left of the photo is Pte JDL Press who won the CGM for rescuing Cooke from the Mole at Zeebrugge and was later badly wounded and taken POW in Crete in 1941.

My fond hope is to identify everyone in the photo!

Thanks to all.

Dom

• 4 months later...
Guest John Rawlinson

this man's extra badge above his stripes. Someone suggested it could signify he's a colour sergeant but that doesn't tally with the muster. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any help much appreciated.

Dom

Dom, Hi

Its a light machine gunners badge. The Corps adopted LG, MG, R badges officailly in 1919, however there are lots of photos to show that they were worn earlier. For the earlier authorised badges - gunnery, signals, musketry, pti - instructors worn the badge on the right sleeve above their stripes, I wasn't aware that LG badges were worn in this way, but I'm certain that this is what it means.

If you have the four sergeants service papers it might show tell you in the gnnery/musketry tests who has qualified. General Orders - ADM64 - I think also list the names of those who qualified on some courses - so you might find him in there.

Regards

John

PS - Nice photo, may contact you seperately about an RMHS project I am involved in

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I wondered if you know the name of the sergeant on your group photograph 4th. row down sitting 3rd. from right

hands clasped, he looks very much like my grandfather Thomas Eaton.

Regards eric17w

Hi Eric,

I don't think it was your grandfather as I don't have any record of a Thomas Eaton being in the 4th Battalion. Do you know anyhting about his service?

Best,

Dom

Hi,

I have attached a picture of my grandfather who I think looks very similar to the cccchap on your

photo. Thomas Eaton we believe was stationed at Deal at the end of the war but there are references

from the family to the infantry, the Labour Corps and Galipoli but all these seem only guesses.

maybe you might not see a resemblance.

Regards eric17w

post-40241-1226623767.jpg

Hi Dom,

Since my previous reply I have managed to merge another photo of my grandad over the one in your

photo with an amazing result, do you have an email address where I can send a higher resolution image.

Regards eric17w

Many years before the Great War there was formal agreement that RMLI would use Army badges and uniform items where there was no good reason not to. This, therefore, included many rank and appointment and skill at arms badges etc.

Given the badge in question is LG in wreath, then it should signify an instructor qualification ...... this is reinforced by lack of equivalent on left sleeve.

Welcome to the forum eric17w,

Royal Marines Records are not in with army records. At Kew their service registers are in ADM 159 (service number order), indexed in ADM 313, his medal roll will be in ADM 171/168.

Hi Eric,

Intriguing. Here's my email. But I think we need to see what his record of service says.

Best

Dom

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

• 3 months later...

Hi Dom,

I contacted you recently re. the photo of the RMLI taken at Deal and I was trying

to identify one of the sergeants as possibly being my grandfather Thomas Eaton.

I wondered if you have any more photos of RM's so that I might be able to find that

sergeant and prove who he was one way or another, if you could help with this you

do have my email address if not it is annwitheric@sky.com

Many thanks for your help in the past

Kind regards Eric

Hi. Thanks for your reply,unfortunately neither of the two Eatons were my grandfather. However I will use this link and have another try to find him

I have hit so many brick walls I have been on the point of giveing up. The

only concrete information I have is that he was in the Marines Labour Corps.

He may have finished up as a sergeant.

Regards Eric