Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hywyn

I cannot find 28072 Pte Hugh John Jones mentioned in SDGW, however, I do have 28071 Pte William Griffith Hughes listed as serving with No 14 CCS.

He is listed on the Ciaro War Memorial, Egypt. died/dysentry. age 26 (Gallipoli).

14 CCS left El Kubri for East Africa on 22/4/1916, it is only a possibility but Pte H J Jones could have served with 14 CCS.

Barbara

I have found references to Regimental Medical Officers in connection with the Royal Fusiliers but I do not know if they are the 25th Bn. I do not have much knowledge about the individual regiments. I did however, come across the name Capt MacMillian, he is mentioned in the Official History as holding a commission with the 25th Bn RF. He opened a small hospital in East Africa. There are other officers names but it does not state that they are members of the 25th Bn.

Barbara

Could you please list the other officers names? I should be able to work out if they were 25th RF or not.

Regards

Steve

Another one for you database BJay

;)

Entry is dated January 1915

Dear Hywyn

Re: "What our forces were doing in Mozambique"

They were still after Von Lettow whom in Nov 1917 withdrew from German East Africa across the Rovuma River into (then) Portugusse territory (now Mozambique). He led them on a chase around Africa but they never got him. The war ended on the 11th of November 1918 he surrended with his small army intact on the 25th of November 1918.

The graves of members of the 25th Frontiersmen are spread across 4 different countries within Africa.

Regards

LF History

Dear BJay

Capt MacMillan was one of the more well known members of the 25th Frontiersmen I can send you some more details on him if you wish. He was 25 stone, 64 inch around the waist and regarded as a US citizen however Driscoll was still able to get him into the 25th. He was regarded as a very rich man and put his money into war effort in the form of his two houses in Kenya that were made into Convalescent Homes for the sick and wounded in East Africa. In 1918 he was knighted by King George V for his services. He passed away in 1925 age 52

Regards

LF History

Hi John :)

Many thanks, not just for this one but for all your help.

Steve

Yes I am happy to do that but I need to pick out the RMO from a list I have, also the names in the Official History are spread over several pages. I'm a bit busy over the next couple of days but will have time on Friday.

Barbara

LF History

Thanks, I would welcome any further information you have. Hopefully I can return some information when I list the officers I have.

Barbara

Barbara

Thanks for the lookup.

Some info I picked up today that may be of use to you.

14th RWF Nominal Roll of Officers who served with the Battalion on Active Service.

The RAMC attachments were

(all Captains)

W E Stevenson

Llewelyn Jones

Benson Evans

Goronwy Jones

Price- subsequently died

Honey

G Lorrimer MC

G R Wilson

Hywyn

Hi Hywyn

Many thanks for the names.

I did notice when looking through the list I have on RMOs that I have some listed as being attached to the RWF. I'll hook them out when doing a list for Steve.

Barbara

Doug

I did a search of the names I have on computer but could not find your grandfather 2252 Pte A J Bailey listed.

Lewisham is not that far from me so when I venture out and start looking at local information I will keep a look out for you.

Barbara

Barbara

Thank you,any help is appreciated.

Regards Doug.

Hi Barbara

Just wondering if your database contains one Pte Frederick Bennitt, who given the spelling may be a relative of mine. The only Frederick on the family tree I have is my grandfather Frederick Wilmot, who at the time was a C of E parish priest. Could he have taken time out in the RAMC? His regimental number was 154833.

thanks and cheers Martin B

Any chance he could have used the surname Bennitt, seems a remarkable co-incidence when you see this man?

Description Medal card of Bennitt, Frederick

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Army Medical Corps 154833 Private

That's exactly the guy I mean. My grandfather died the year I was born and my father never mentioned any war service, but I suppose he could have taken leave from the church and volunteered for a non-combattant unit.

He is one of nine Bennitts with medal cards, two of whom are definitely relatives and were KIA. The rest, who survived, I know nothing about, yet.

cheers Martin B

Hi Andrew, Steve, elliot, Julian and John.

My late father was in the RAMC, he was a historian for over 20 years but never found a comprehensive list of all RAMC personnel who took part in the Great War. He did however, find many papers, journals and books that contained various lists. Some of the lists provide very detailed information, but unfortunately, some of the lists only give a name and regimental number, some give a name and Unit but no regimental number, and some just gave a name and rank. It is a nightmare to sort out but sometimes a soldier can appear on more than one list.

I have now taken over my Father's research and am putting together a database of all RAMC personnel from the information I have to try to collate it. Hopefully then at least one comprehensive list will exist, but as Peter Starling states 'it will be a long job'.

I have taken a note of the names you are researching and will check them against the lists that I have.

Barbara

Hi

This is my first ever post so apologies for any errors. My grandfather Bertie Stevens served with the RAMC having enlisted in 1908 at Chatham. I got his MIC online which showed that he arrived in France on 20 Aug 1914 with 6/7 Field Amb. His Reg No is 1495. It also showed that he transferred to RE in March 1917.

My grandfather died when my father was 7 and I would love to be able to tell him more about his father.

Having read in this forum that records are thin on the ground for RAMC I wondered what to do. Any suggestions?

Liz

Hi Martin B

Sorry but I do not have Pte F Bennitt listed as yet. I also checked for Pte F Wilmot just in case but had no luck there either. I will keep a look out for you though.

Barbara

Hi Liz

I must admit I'm a little confused with the reference you gave of 6/7 Field Ambulance.

6th Fld Amb served with 6th Brigade in the 2nd Division but 7th Fld Amb served with 7th Brigade in the 3rd Division. Unfortunately they both arrived in France on 20th Aug 1914 so that didn't help me work out which one he was serving with, when he arrived at least.

Have you checked with the National Archives to see if his Service Records survived the London Bombing. If it didn't survive, you can have at look at the war diaries to see the movements of the Unit he was serving with. The reference to the war diaries are WO95/1338 for 6 Fld Amb and WO95/1406 for 7 Fld Amb

Barbara

Hi Barbara

I was a bit confused myself - mainly because of my ignorance re names of military groups. It was written on the card as 6/7 so I didn't know if this meant one or the other Field Amb or both.

I have not checked with the National Archives. I presume this is something that you have to do in person.

I know that my grandfather became a Corporal and I have been told that he was a stretcher bearer but otherwise know very little of his time in France.

I know that after the war he signed on for a further two years in the Reserves. Would this have any bearing on where I should look for more information?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Liz

Hi John and Barbara

Re-reading your posts, it's clear now that I wasn't. My grandfather's name was Frederick Wilmot Bennitt. The Wilmot is a traditional family name which is passed down (and has now reached me, for my sins). But only the Frederick is given in the records, which makes me wonder if it is in fact him.

cheers Martin B

Hi Liz

It is possible that your Grandfather served in both but if this was the case, then from my awareness he would have enlisted with one and then been attached or drafted to another.

A look at the Mother Site, as Hywyn recommended, will help if you have not already done so. The section 'How to research a soldier' provides you with the places that have information and explains how to access and interpret any information you find.

In the meantime, I have a record of the battles and engagements that both the 6th and 7th Fld Ambulances were involved in which I can send to you. If you have elderly relatives then maybe information like this will jog them into remembering a place that he served.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a couple of attachements.

Barbara

Hi Martin B

I don't know what to say, I have only just stopped laughing at myself. I can be so stupid sometimes. My only defence is that I have been really busy lately and rushing about a bit.

I can advise that I do not have anyone with the surname Bennitt on my database as yet. You stated that your relative was a C of E parish priest, do you know which parish it was? Unit histories often provide names so he maybe mentioned on a list that I have yet to input. Also, have you checked to see if your relative is on an absent voters list? Narrowing down the area might help identify if this is a relative of yours. Also the information I am putting together is starting to develop some pattern with the numbers, it is early days but that may eventually help as well.

Barbara

Martin I too appear to have suffered a 'senior moment' and read your post sans specs, sorr for the confusion.

Hi Barbara

I haven't got around to checking all the angles yet. As I live in France it's not so easy, and I'm not sure how much I can pick up on the web. But he was vicar of Saint Mary's Old Bletchley, Bucks, from 1906.

cheers Martin B