Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

Barbara this 27th FA about Christmas time 1914 at Aldershot I believe, half of them don't have cap badges yet, fairly typicla of New Army Blokes. My Grandfather is front row 2nd in from right. The only other one I can ID is Pte Albert Chapman who is 2nd Back row on extreme left.

Straying off subject a bit but does anyone know the whereabouts of a RAMC training depot in Wales that was used in the Great War. i would be obliged if it rings bells with anyone.

Thanks for posting image John.

I've got a feeling that I may have seen this before. Will have to come back to you on that.

Barbara

Straying off subject a bit but does anyone know the whereabouts of a RAMC training depot in Wales that was used in the Great War. i would be obliged if it rings bells with anyone.

Llandrindod Wells was a base of the RAMC and Noel Godfrey Chavasse was one of the officers in charge there, before he went overseas.

Dan

The images you have attached are of great interest to me.

Is it possible to enlarge them so that I can compare the names with any records I have?

Many thanks

Barbara

Will try i am having major probs with soft ware on me new com

Dan

• 3 months later...
Hi

Can anyone help me with some info regarding my grandfather Wilfred Lawton who served in a Field Ambulance unit during WW1? I have a copy of his medal card (which appears to be the only record that survived WW2) which notes under the "Roll" heading: R.A.M.C. 101B 31 (The "B" is in superscript)

I'm wondering if this is a Battalion/unit number? If not, does anyone have suggestions as to how I can find out which unit he served with?

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew you may well have this info by now, but this is the link to your Grandfathers Medal Index Card, may shed some more light.

Description Medal card of Lawton, Wilfred

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Army Medical Corps 81196 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/12

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

John

You were asking about training depots in Wales.

I'm in the middle of researching snippets I've picked up from a Caernarfonshire newpaper called Herald Cymraeg.

On 12th January 1915 it refers to 16 men from the Deiniolen/Dinorwig area joining the RAMC and they went to Porthcawl ( in S Wales)

In June a number of them are reported home on leave from Prestatyn ( in North Wales). A quick google shows that there were three companies of the there in 1915.

Hope this helps

Hywyn

By the way BJAY

If you're monitoring this thread I think I can identfy them all by number but I need to get my head round how to present it if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm looking for any information about my grandfather, Hubert J Clark, who was a stretcher bearer in the RAMC. I've located his medal card but it gives little info apart from his regiment no: 77954. Apparently he was wounded, but we don't know when and where. He survived the war.

Regards Gamakly.

PS his surname would normally have had an 'e' on the end but as there was no 'e' on the medal card I have left it out here.

Saw your post and hope that maybe you will be able to help me, I am a real newbie to this part of family history. I have a photograph of my grandfather which clealy shows RAMC on his uniform. I know that this is the medical corps but other than that I know nothing, other than his name Edwin Scudamore.

Can you give me a few pointers on how to proceed in gaining information about him, maybe if I'm really lucky his name already appears somewhere within your research.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Bjay

I`m really sorry to heap yet another name on to you to check. But I would be grateful if you could check out Samuel Whorton 81532 on you RAMC list. He was my Gt Grand,others step-brother. He died 24/12/18 and is buried at St James church in Norton Canes. Most of the rest of the family served in the South Staffs Reg if its any help.

Many thanks. Kev.

Phil

So I download this MIC but unclear what information this woul give me. Reading some of the earlier posts it sounds like RAMC information is a little scarce. My main interest is when he joined and where he served. I am also looking into my Wifes Grandfather who was in RFA. Would like to know if they fought in the same battles. I know this may sound a bit romatic but ...

Hi Gamakly

I have traced one Hubert Clarke as known to have served with 33 Field Ambulance. However, I do not have a service number listed so I cannot state that this is definately your Grandfather.

The 33rd Field Ambulance served in the 11th (Northern) Division and was located in Gallipoli before going to France. Does this ring any bells?

I will have a look through the info I have on 33 Field Ambulance to see if I can trace where this name has come from.

Barbara

Hi Paul (onthecauseway)

Milner has provided you with valuable information in that your Grandfather's service number was 444117. In 1917 Territorial Units were allocated a range of 6 digit numbers and all those serving in the Territorial Force were given new numbers to correspond with the Unit they served.

The numbers 444011 - 446000 was allocated to the 2nd Southern General Hospital. T. Your grandfather's service number 444117 means that he was serving with this hospital.

The 2nd Southern General Hospital. T covered the military hospitals in the Bristol area, however, a part of it was sent abroad.

The War Diary opened at Bristol 16th Feb 1917 "Can you form a hosptial from Southern GH for overseas (France)?".

It arrived in France on 22 April 1917 and was sited at Etaples from 23/5/1917 - 26/4/1919.

Your Grandfather's MIC will tell you what medals he was awared and the place and the date he first arrived abroad.

Hope this helps

Barbara

Hi Kev

So far, I have looked in Soldiers Died in the Great War, RAMC. but Samual Whorton is not listed in it. I did trace him in the RAMC Graves and Memorials book but it provides the same information as the info on the CWGC website.

I am now in the process of adding names to a database so if I find him on a Roll of Honour I will send you a PM.

I note that the cemetery is in Staffordshire, so you may find a reference to his death in a local archived paper or in the London Gazette. Also, the RAMC tried to place wounded soldiers into a hosptial as close to their home town as possible, if you are not aware of his home address it might be worth looking for him on a Staffordshire Absent Voters List. If you can trace him this way then you may be able to find out which Unit within the RAMC he served.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi Kev

So far, I have looked in Soldiers Died in the Great War, RAMC. but Samual Whorton is not listed in it. I did trace him in the RAMC Graves and Memorials book but it provides the same information as the info on the CWGC website.

I am now in the process of adding names to a database so if I find him on a Roll of Honour I will send you a PM.

I note that the cemetery is in Staffordshire, so you may find a reference to his death in a local archived paper or in the London Gazette. Also, the RAMC tried to place wounded soldiers into a hosptial as close to their home town as possible, if you are not aware of his home address it might be worth looking for him on a Staffordshire Absent Voters List. If you can trace him this way then you may be able to find out which Unit within the RAMC he served.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi Barbara, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to look this up for me, it is much appreciated. I will try some , well probably all, of your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Kev.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I've spoken to my mother but she says Grandad never mentioned being in Gallipoli. She has a letter that he received while in training which was dated 2nd Feb 1915. I forgot to mention that when we found his medal card there was another one on the same page with the same name. I assumed that as we knew that Grandad was definitely in the RAMC that this man would be different. His service number is 18063 and the regiment ( I think) says RE. Do you think they may be the same person? They were both awarded the British and Victory medals. There is no other information on either of the medal cards as to when they joined the war.

I'm afraid I have no other info, except that Mum has an idea that he told her he was injured during the battle of the Somme.

Many regards Gamakly.

Barbara,

Thanks for checking the nominal rolls you have for 1st and 141st FA. I believe my grandfather did not join until 1915, but based on the medals he received I assume (if that date is correct) he did not get to France until 1916. I know less about his brother and when he joined.

I think it is most likely that my grandfather was with with the 1st into 1919 since the billeting location for the 1st matches his description while the 141st does not. As the 1st was stood down the men were distributed to the remaining FAs and apparently he went to the 141st where I see his SOS record.

I also notices that men are moved between units for TD quite a lot - more than I would have expected and I believe much more than would have happened between infantry units. Unless of course, you compare it to how much movement there was between Coys within a regiment. (I don't know the answer to that - after all as you know I'm air ;-) Perhaps someone else can comment?)

I have got the War Diary for the first month of the No 1 FA transcribed and in pdf. Its about 152K in size and a draft form that needs a little touching up, but is quite useable. I'm posting this here in case other on the forum are interested. The first OC writes more than some later ones so there is some record of his impressions as well as statistics. How can I get his to you? Is 152K to large for an attachment on this forum?

Cheers,

John Harrop

Gamakly

The name Hubert Clarke that I have serving in the 33rd Fld Amb was mentioned in the book Gallipoli by John Masefield, so if it is your grandfather then he definatley served in Gallopoli.

33 Fld Amb was located in Gallipoli between 6th Aug - 20th Dec 1915, they were then on the Somme between 14th Sep - 28th Sep 1916, then they moved to Ypres. If your Grandfather wasn't entitled to the 1914-1915 Star then it would be safe to say that this is not your grandfather.

It is possible for two MIC's to belong to the same person, maybe a look at the actual medal roll might provide you with more information.

Also, if you can find out where your grandfather's home address was during the war you may also be able to trace him on an absent voters list.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi Barbara. No idea if it helps but I have a note of Lieutenant R.J.Jones being killed by machine gun fire whilst out in No Mans Land tending the wounded. This occurred 10 July 1916 during the Welsh Division attack on Mametz Wood.

And Captain Jones (131 RAMC) asking for volunteers from the HQ staff to assist in bringing in the wounded and finding that every man voluntered including many who had been up all night dealing with the wounded from an attack on Morlancourt).

Bernard

Hello Bernard

I have T/Lt Raymond John Jones listed as KIA 10/7/16 under 129 Fld Amb. He is buried at Carnoy Military Cemetery, France. Same Division though - 38th.

I did not have an account of how he died so I can add that now. Excellent, thanks very much.

Barbara

Barbara,

Many thanks for the information. I'll follow that up to double check if Grandad really was at Gallipoli. You are very kind to search for all this information for us. A real star!

Regards

Gamakly