Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hi
Can anyone help me with some info regarding my grandfather Wilfred Lawton who served in a Field Ambulance unit during WW1? I have a copy of his medal card (which appears to be the only record that survived WW2) which notes under the "Roll" heading: R.A.M.C. 101B 31 (The "B" is in superscript)
I'm wondering if this is a Battalion/unit number? If not, does anyone have suggestions as to how I can find out which unit he served with?
Regards,
Andrew

Andrew

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the reference R.A.M.C. 101B 31 is not a reference to his unit number but his individual entry in the Medal Roll. The reference can be translated (at the National Archives) into a WO329/xxxx reference which will be the actual Medal Roll with his entry listed.

The Medal Rolls often give additional information such as Battalion/unit details but I believe that this is not so with the RAMC, the ones I've seen merely state RAMC, no unit details.

Regards

Steve

If you post his service number someone might no which unit it belonged to.

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hi

Thanks for the help but I'm not sure I even have his service number. The only number I have is on the medal card under the heading "Reg'd number" & that is 81196. Do you know if this would be a service number?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Andrew, I hope you don't mind if I add my similar difficulties.

I understand that RAMC personnel were attached to fighting units. I am researching the 123 Coy MGC and I know that their RAMC complement comprised

Cpl Taylor

Pte Hamber

Pte Hamilton

no full names, no numbers !

There are 106 Hamiltons on MIC, 103 Taylors and 3 Hambers - but none survive in WO 363.

Am I right in assuming that I don't have a hope in h--l of finding these people !?

Surely there must once have been a list of where RAMC personnel were allocated.

Julian

Much the same situation for my grandfather the notation 101 B27 and a page number appears on his medal record , I was unbelievably lucky in that I chanced upon a photograph of him on a website. I have not been to Kew but if his service record still exists, 1 in 4 chance, it would presumably go in to far greater detail and list a parent unit.

Best of luck

Julian

This is a major problem we encounter daily in the AMS Museum. I have never found a complete list of which RAMC units and teeth arm units RAMC personnel were allocated to. The same goes for Regimental Medical Officers. I have started a database of doctors and the units they were allocated to but it will be a long job.

Pete Starling

Hi Andrew, Steve, elliot, Julian and John.

My late father was in the RAMC, he was a historian for over 20 years but never found a comprehensive list of all RAMC personnel who took part in the Great War. He did however, find many papers, journals and books that contained various lists. Some of the lists provide very detailed information, but unfortunately, some of the lists only give a name and regimental number, some give a name and Unit but no regimental number, and some just gave a name and rank. It is a nightmare to sort out but sometimes a soldier can appear on more than one list.

I have now taken over my Father's research and am putting together a database of all RAMC personnel from the information I have to try to collate it. Hopefully then at least one comprehensive list will exist, but as Peter Starling states 'it will be a long job'.

I have taken a note of the names you are researching and will check them against the lists that I have.

Barbara

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hi All

Thanks for the info I am managing to glean from all your posts. I'm very glad to see I am not the only person banging my head on the proverbial brick wall. I'm also wondering whether my grandfather's location would have related to his allocation. He was from Durham (born in Seaham Harbour) & presumably joined up there. I wondered if he would have automatically been attached to a Durham unit such as the Durham Light Infantry. Any thoughts/ideas?

Regards to all,

Andrew

bjay

could I ask you check the name William Milner on your ramc list too. Landed france 24/3/1915

thanks

Phil

Phil

No problem. I will also check to see which Units landed in France on that day but it's going to take me a couple of days due to work commitments.

Barbara

bjay

could I ask you check the name William Milner on your ramc list too. Landed france 24/3/1915

thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

The only RAMC Unit to arrive in France in 24/3/1915 is No 18 General Hospital. I have not got a list of any personnel attached to that Unit.

However, I have found three W Milners.

1638 Milner W 6th London Field Ambulance attached to 47th (2nd London) Division

Arrived in France on 16/3/1915

This name was on the Nominal Role as at August 1914. He was listed in B Section

401411 Pte Milner W 1st West Riding Field Ambulance attached to 49th West Riding Division (TF)

Arrived in France on 14/4/1915

This name was taken from the Leeds Absent Voters List

Capt Milner WA 1st South Western Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance

I couldn't find any reference to when or where they arrived.

This name was taken from an Officers List 1916

I hope the soldier you are searching for is listed here.

Barbara

Barbara

Thanks for the info. My grandfather is not one of the three men you mention. Before enlisting he was a 1st officer on merchant ships, so I don't know how he gets into the RAMC, but he got tranfered out of the RAMC in 1916 to the RNR and is then commissioned as a temp. Lieutenant, then later moves to the Royal Engineers waterways & railways division. A real mystery to try to solve, but I'm slowly building up information. I wonder if the connections RAMC and Navy background could be a hospital ship when he enlisted ?

Thanks anyway

Regards

Thanks for all your help.

BJay,

Here's another one I would appreciate your checking for.

I have been trying to research a Doctor who was assigned to the 9th Field Ambulance. Here is what I have found so far.....

Temp. Captain C(harles) F. Drew RAMC

19 March 1915- Appointed Temp Lieutenant --- L.G. 12 May 1915 (Supp)

1 June 1915 – Entered France --- Medal Index Card

19 March 1916 – Appointed Temp Captain --- L.G. 10 April 1916 (Supp)

24 Dec 1917 – Mentioned in Despatches (L.G. of same date? Pg.12484?)--- Medal Index Card

23 Jan 1918 –Relinquished commission on account of illness. – L.G. 22 Jan. 1918 (Supp)

1 Jan 1919- Awarded the Military Cross (No. 9, Field Amb) - L.G. 1 Jan. 1919 (Supp)

7 Nov 1924 ? Associated with Victory, British , Star (1915) & Emblems on MIC

Also shown as on Officer roll 141 Pgs. 204b and 338 .

No.9, Field Ambulance.

Joined 3rd Division Aug 1914

Left 3rd Division 28 Aug 1915

Joined Guards Division 28 Aug 1915

Duration?

I've been told that the records for Temporary Commissions were not kept, so his history has been difficult to ferret out. I tried to find him after the war, but don't really know where to start with civilian records.

Thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this.

Dean

Hello Dean

DREW, Chas. Francis M.C., c/o National Bank of Australasia, 5 Bishopsgate, E.C.2 - M.B.,B.S. Adelaide 1911: Temp. Capt R.A.M.C.

I found this in the 1921 Medical Directory. If it is your man then he went on to become a Practicioner within the postal District of London.

I hope this helps. If not I'll try other lists.

Barbara

Barbara,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm sure this is my man and it gets more and more interesting.

I'm going to have to borrow your expertise once again. The address you found is "care of" N.B. Australasia and there is a mention of Adelaide. (N.Z.?) Is there a chance that he had emigrated and this was his London contact point? I'm not good at translating Brit addresses.

The reason I have for asking this is I am researching him in connection with an inscribed revolver from WW1. I have traced the revolver's ownership back to 1947. At that time it was in the possession of a person (not Drew) in Australia. Due to the markings on the gun (or actually, the lack of certain markings), indicates that it was not commercially exported from England and was, more than likely, "hand carried" out of the British Isles.

If this is a possibility, I may have to start searching "Down Under".

Dean

added: I just reread the address and am wondering if the reference to "M.B.,B.S. Adelaide 1911" is when and where he received his medical schooling?

Dean

I am not an expert but I am guessing that he may have given that bank address because he may not have had a permanent address in England. However, he most likely did bank at that branch so used it as a postal address.

I would say that his medical training was definately in Adelaide, Australia? (I have not heard of Adelaide in NZ). Maybe he practiced both there and in London.

Barbara

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hi Barbara

Re: Wilfred Lawton

Thanks for your help anyway. I'm at a bit of a dead end with it it at the moment. Do you think the number 81196 off the medal card would have been his service number? Other than that I have absolutely no other info on him at all.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

The number 81196 sounds to me like his Regimental Number. It should be under the heading Regtl. No on the Medal Card.

Sorry I can't help any further. I will post a message on here if I do ever managed to trace him. If you get any other information, let me know so we can try to narrow down the options.

Good luck

Barbara

Barbara

Could you please see if you have any record of my Grandfather, Pte Arthur Pitt in your records?

His regimental No on his MIC is 16.

Thanks

Bob

Hi

Can anyone help me with some info regarding my grandfather Wilfred Lawton who served in a Field Ambulance unit during WW1? I have a copy of his medal card (which appears to be the only record that survived WW2) which notes under the "Roll" heading: R.A.M.C. 101B 31 (The "B" is in superscript)

I'm wondering if this is a Battalion/unit number? If not, does anyone have suggestions as to how I can find out which unit he served with?

Regards,

Andrew

This is not realy related to this topic but I thought i would post the pictures any way they are of the 108th FA with the names of the men on back of card. The RSM with the Sam Brown has what i think is the 17th Div flash on his arm .

Dan

post-2583-1148059457.jpg

post-2583-1148059472.jpg

Dan

The images you have attached are of great interest to me.

Is it possible to enlarge them so that I can compare the names with any records I have?

Many thanks

Barbara