The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur John Gentry, KRRC

Kerry T

Dear all

I am trying to find information on my Great Grandfather, Arthur John Gentry.

According to Soldiers Died... he was a Rifleman with 12th Battalion, the County of London Regiment, Affiliated To KRRC. He died of wounds on 24th September 1918.

I have copies of a letter from the War Office dated Nov 1918 apologising for not declaring him missing, one from the KRRC Record Office dated Sept 1919 officially declaring him dead, and a letter from the stretcher bearer who found his body on 28th Aug 1918, returning his personal effects to my Great Grandmother. Also a copy of the MIC. Oh and I know he is commemorated at the Vis en Artois War Memorial.

Can anyone help with where I might look for any more information? He enlisted in Lambeth, but I don't know when - I think it was 1916+ but not 100% sure. I would like to see if his service records still exist, but do I need to know whether he was listed under KRRC or County of London Regiment first? I would also be interested in learning about the battles he fought in, but again don't know where to look.

I would be very grateful for any help, but please note that I am a novice when it comes to military history so probably won't understand any technical terms! Also, apologies if I am asking questions that have been raised hundreds of times before.

Thanks in advance

Kerry

Hi Kerry

here is the CWGC reference

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1742688

and the Medal Index Card

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=9

both of which lead me to believe that he was KRRC

Thanks for that Delta

Do you know if I need to search under KRRC for his Service Records, or do I do it by surname/service number?

Sorry to be a pain but I don't want to go to Kew and come away with nothing relevant. I know many service records are destroyed, but there's always hope.

Thanks again

Kerry

Hi Kerry,i had researched this man about 2 Years ago,for a relative of His who knows My Family,but never recieved any feedback.I have left you a Personal Message.Best Regards..PBI :D

:D have just checked his MIC and he was KRRC.