Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC Document

jacjac18

I'm researching my great Uncle John Bauld who was in the 1/9th Argyll and Sutherlands. I've managed to find his MIC from the National Archives, but it's pretty hard to read and I'm new to all this so don't really understand what the bit about Victory, Bristish and Star means and the numbers after them. Can anybody help?? I hope the attachment works!!

thanks in advance

Jac

MedalDoc_2_.doc

The numbers are references to the Medal Rolls ledger books held at the National Archives at Kew.

The references enable us to find the original book which will tell us what battalion he went overseas with.

The references are:

Victory Medal & British War Medal G/105 B2 page 137

(These medals were campaign medals, usually awarded as a pair and recorded in the same book, hence the squiggly line "Ditto" and were awarded to all those men who served overseas in an theatre of war)

The 1915 Star (Refs G/4B page 24) was given to those men who went overseas between 23-11-1914 and 31-12-1915, being basically the "Volunteers medal". After that most recruits were conscripts or later volunteers at least.

The Theatre of War first served in is France (1) is thenumber for this Theatre, and is actually superflous here.

John Bauld served in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders as a Private, Regimental number 2134. (This entry is also ditto'd but is just referring to the two medal roll book entries, one for 1915 Star and one for the VM/BWM pair)

He was Killed in Action on 10th May 1915 at the The Battle of Frezenburg during the Second Battle of Ypres:

Name: BAULD, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/9th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/05/1915

Service No: 2134

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 42 and 44.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

His 2134 number is a Territorial style number, which is consistent with the 9th Battalion which was a Territorial unit. They went overseas in February 1915 and were later attached to 27th Division.

The date of John Bauld going overseas is entirely consistent with him going overseas with the main battalion.

In view of the above information, I think any perusal of the Medal Rolls is unlikely to give you new information.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, you're right, there wasn't any new information on the card other than the Victory and Britsh parts, but I had no idea what they meant. At least thats cleared it up and I can try something else now.

thanks again

jac