Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Red Cross

Guest Josephine

Fabulous detail - as always, Frev.  A fascinating woman beautifully honoured.  Congratulations.

Jonathan

Dear Frev,

Miss Chomley was an obviously strong-willed woman from a well-off family, whose efforts in the name of Australia received recognition in the form of a highly-deserved OBE.

Her portrait is a good one, showing her wearing a very smart uniform with Officer's Stars and her OBE ribbon up.

She was too busy or preoccupied with her good deeds, travelling between Toorak and London, to get married: or she was simply wed to her self-imposed Crusade.

Frev, you have done well to put her on the Map. (I researched a similarly-dedicated Brit nurse, Sallie Round, and found a life of dedication, too.)

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Jonathan and Kim - I'm still hoping that more detail on Miss Chomley will come on-line in the years ahead....and perhaps one day someone really will make her story more widely known, whether it be in book or film or....

Kim - the dedication of so many of these ladies, especially during the war years, never ceases to amaze me!

Cheers, Frev

• 2 years later...
On 08/08/2018 at 23:42, frev said:

It’s over 12 years since the inquisitive Josephine started this thread, and sparked my interest in Miss Chomley.  It seemed for a while that she was haunting me; little snippets of information turning up here and there, and various people enquiring after her.  Now almost 7 years after my last post here I’m bringing her back to the fore.

I’ve recently been researching some of the other women that worked with her at the Australian Red Cross Prisoners of War Department, and I decided it was time I organised my file on Miss Chomley herself, and put it on line so others could see just how amazing she really was.

So, for any that are interested, you’ll find what I’ve gathered here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/blogs/entry/2271-mary-elizabeth-maude-chomley-obe/

Cheers, Frev

Thank you very much for doing this Frev on the great woman of the Australian Red Cross. My great grandfather Robert Montgomery of the 55th Battalion AIF was a POW at SCHNEIDEMUHL Prison Camp. My great grandfather owes is life to the these wonderful women of the Australian Red Cross based in England. My great grandfather is in quite a few of the 400 photos that where sent to Miss Chomely by POW's here is a link to the Australian Virtual War Memorial and my great grandfathers story https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/161175 he is in the back row 2nd from the right. Cheers Gary

4160879.jpg

Hi Gary - and welcome to the forum

Thank you for bringing Miss Chomley back into the spotlight - she was indeed one of the many great women of her time.

Your Great Grandfather and his fellow prisoners were certainly lucky to have such a caring organisation looking out for them...

Cheers, Frev