Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Red Cross

Guest Josephine

Thanks Sue - I'll add these details to my file.

Here's hoping they put more such photos into the public domain in the future.

Cheers, Frev

Hi Peter - and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the extra info on our Miss Chomley.

Just wondering whether you've miscopied the date when you say that she died on the 2 Jan 1960 - as the Probate Index & her Grave Plaque both state that she died 21 July 1960.

Just being a sticky beak now when I ask - would you be comfortable letting us know where you fit into the family?

Great to see this thread keeps returning

Cheers, Frev

Frev, you are correct re the date of death - my main system (with the family database) was down over Christmas and I couldn't read my own hand writing...

By the way, the family plot at St Kilda is CofE, not Baptist.

My GGgrandfather, Hussey Malone Chomley, was the second oldest of the 7 sons and is also buried with his wife and next to his son, my Ggrandfather, Alexander Francis Chomley, in the St Kilda plot. Hussey's older brother, Richard, died unmarried in 1874.

Chomley St on the other side of Dandenong Rd from St Kilda Cemetry was just inside the west border of the Chomley farm, Merville ... "away from the distractions of Melbourne town" said Mary Chomley (the older) in a letter to her cousins in Ireland in the early 1860s.

My father was annoyed with MEM because she had borrowed a couple of Hussey's diaries and never returned them. I live in hope that they may turn up somewhere...

regards

Peter

By the way, the family plot at St Kilda is CofE, not Baptist.

Thanks for the correction Peter - had tried to marry up the photo with my memory & the cemetery map - and obviously failed miserably! You've saved me re-checking on my next visit to St Kilda. Though I may still try & get a better photo anyway.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity with family connections, and I sure hope those diaries turn up for you too - I'm extremely wary of lending anything to anyone these days - once bitten............!

Cheers, Frev

• 8 months later...

MEM Chomley keeps haunting me - just came across this article in the The Argus 1919 - which mentions her wonderful work for the POW's.

If the link doesn't take you straight to it - it's on page 5, Wed 23 Apr 1919 - under the heading "Australians Who Were Prisoners - Halfway House in London" by Alice Grant Rosman.

http://ndpbeta.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/404476?zoomLevel=4

Cheers, Frev

• 1 year later...

Hi Sue,

Yes, I would dearly like to acquire a photo of Miss Chomley in her Red Cross uniform.

I attempted to track it down at the IWM without no success.

Regards,

Ross

It comes from the Imperial War Museum's 'Women, War and Society' collection. A couple of years ago there was free online access to the Collection via Thomson Gale during 'Library Week' and it was an image I grabbed then on the basis that it might come in useful at sometime. Unfortunately I don't have the full reference for it - worth looking if the offer comes up again, which is probably will.

Sue

Her photograph is in the Women's Work Collection under the heading of those granted the OBE. The actual IWM reference was DEC2/84. Whether they have changed that since I recorded it I can't say, but it ought to be enough for them to locate it.

Norman

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter,

I have recently completed the Great War documentary film titled, Beneath Hill 60 (www.beneathhill60.com.au) about the forgotten Australian tunnellers who fought a courageous and claustrophobic war below the trenches of the Western Front. I am now keen to work on a follow-up documentary film about the Australian Red Cross, concentrating on Miss Mary Chomley who, as you know, was Secretary of the POW Department of the former body in London during the Great War. As you also know, she gave hope and inspiration to many of the Australian POWs who wrote to her as their adopted Patron Saint and de facto Mother a long way from home. I am very interested in pursuing information on Miss Chomley...in particular, photographs and correspondence she received from Australian POW and any she returned. Kindest regards, Ross Thomas (rossjthomas@bigpond.com).

Frev, and others...

Firsty, thanks for this interesting discussion re Mary Elizabeth Maud Chomley from the family.

To answer Frev's question, yes, Mary was awarded the OBE for services on 15 March 1918.

I only met her once about 1958 at a family gathering and she was rather formidable to a young teenager ... I felt I was dismissed after the first greeting ... a rather formidably lady.<smile>.

She was baptised Mary Elizabeth after her grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Chomley, second wife of Rev Francis Chomley and sister of Sir Richard Griffith (of Irish Valuation fame) and also Maud after Rev. Francis' first wife, Magdelene (Maud) Hanna.

Her father was Judge Arthur Wolfe (named after the Wolfes of co Kildare and also after Wolfe Tone), the fourth son of seven sons of Mary Elizabeth Chomley who arrived in Melbourne from Wicklow, Ireland in 1849. Her mother was Juliana Charlotte Hogg. MEM was the eldest daughter (and third child) of nine.

She was born on 29 July 1871 at "the Springs", Malvern (may have been in Huntingtower Road) and died on 2 Jan 1960 at the house she inherited from her father in Bruce St., Toorak.

The Chomley manuscript archives at the State Library of Victoria contain a number of family records and letters, notes, etc. of a more personal nature from MEM. They show a very independant woman with a keen sense of responsibility and interest in current affairs. She also was interested in our family history, using some of her time in England to do research.

There are also a number of letters from people she had helped in her Red Cross role.

regards

Peter Chomley

Hi again Ross

Glad to see you're still pursuing our Dear Miss Chomley.

If Peter can't help you - you could always spend some time at the AWM - they have 5 boxes of papers including correspondance & a photograph album put together by MEM that would definately add to your doco:

ID number 1DRL/0615

Title Chomley, Mary Elizabeth

Maker Chomley, Mary Elizabeth

Object types Album;

Papers;

Places made Australia;

United Kingdom: England;

Date made 1915-1920

Measurement 5 boxes

Access Open

Copying provision Copying permitted subject to physical condition

Collection Private Record

Description Collection relating to Mary Elizabeth Chomley, Secretary of the Australian Red Cross Society and Prisoner of War Department, First World War. Collection comprises administrative papers relating to the organisation of the Prisoner of War Department, correspondence with captured soldiers, financial statements and correspondence with ex prisoners of war following her visit to Australia in 1919-1920. Other collection items include an album kept by Chomley with photographs of imprisoned Australian soldiers. The photographs in the album are indexed and many have been individually captured under the Accession numbers P01981 and P03236.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers, Frev

What an awesome thread! I have just read it for the first time, Miss Cromley sounds like an amazing women, I too am looking forward to the documentary on her.

Thanks for all the posts guys - she will never be forgotten

Liesl

Hi Frev,

Many thanks for the info. I intend on visiting the AWM after our film launch on April 8 to further my research. Am gathering considerable material on Miss Chomley to build a 3D character for our documentary. I would like to base it on correspondence POWs had with her and her replies. A poem or song sent by a POW would be heaven sent. Regards, Ross (rossjthomas@bigpond.com).

Hi again Ross

Glad to see you're still pursuing our Dear Miss Chomley.

If Peter can't help you - you could always spend some time at the AWM - they have 5 boxes of papers including correspondance & a photograph album put together by MEM that would definately add to your doco:

ID number 1DRL/0615

Title Chomley, Mary Elizabeth

Maker Chomley, Mary Elizabeth

Object types Album;

Papers;

Places made Australia;

United Kingdom: England;

Date made 1915-1920

Measurement 5 boxes

Access Open

Copying provision Copying permitted subject to physical condition

Collection Private Record

Description Collection relating to Mary Elizabeth Chomley, Secretary of the Australian Red Cross Society and Prisoner of War Department, First World War. Collection comprises administrative papers relating to the organisation of the Prisoner of War Department, correspondence with captured soldiers, financial statements and correspondence with ex prisoners of war following her visit to Australia in 1919-1920. Other collection items include an album kept by Chomley with photographs of imprisoned Australian soldiers. The photographs in the album are indexed and many have been individually captured under the Accession numbers P01981 and P03236.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers, Frev

Ross - a poem or song sent by a POW certainly would be a find - but I think if either where in the AWM files - they would have been published in the article on MEM in the AWM "Wartime" Issue 21.

Have you checked the newspapers for info?

This is one that I've copied:

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 13 Jun 1917:

The Red Cross has received a letter from a prisoner of war at Schneidemuhl, in Germany, expressing heartfelt gratitude for the comforts forwarded from Sydney. The following is an extract: - “Well, mother, I want you all at home to advertise as much as possible the splendid way the Red Cross are looking after and providing for us. I would like you to write to Miss Chomley, of the prisoners of war department. Australian B.R.C.S., and tell her of the way we all appreciate what she and her assistants are doing for us. I pray God that it will not be long before we can show our appreciation in a better way for all that has been done for us.”

Best of luck with your research, Frev

• 1 month later...
Hi Frev,

Many thanks for the info. I intend on visiting the AWM after our film launch on April 8 to further my research. Am gathering considerable material on Miss Chomley to build a 3D character for our documentary. I would like to base it on correspondence POWs had with her and her replies. A poem or song sent by a POW would be heaven sent. Regards, Ross (rossjthomas@bigpond.com).

Hi Frev again,

Re : Beneath Hill 60

Still celebrating after the release of our film, Beneath Hill 60. Have been receiving fantastic film reviews from around the nation. More importantly, the emails for gratitude from the pubic have been warming to the heart.

Re : Miss Mary Elizabeth Mary Chomley

Spent a full day at the AWM buried in the files of Miss Chomley. Amazing material! What a heroine she was! Definitely enough material for a documentary...perhaps not enough for a full feature film. Unable to find any poem or song that might have been sent to her. Would like to contact a descendant to see additional information. Kindest regards, Ross Thomas rossjthomas@bigpond.com

Hi again Jo

Your query about Miss Chomley intrigued me - so while I was at the library today - I went on a bit of a search. A quick scan (no index) of the History of the Australian Red Cross 1914 -1991 "Look what you started Henry!" turned up no mention. The Australian Dictionary of Biography only listed her father & her uncle.

Anyway, I also checked out the BD&M registers - and I've put together a little bit of background on her family at least. With a bit of luck some of this info may help to lead on to more detail of her actual life:

CHOMLEY, Mary Elizabeth Maude

It has been noted on the ‘womenaustralia’ website that Mary was born in 1872, however the Vic Birth Reg Index lists her birth as being registered in 1871 in Malvern (reg. no. 24361). The same website lists her death as 18 July 1960 – but the Victorian Probate Index lists it as 21/7/1960, it also lists Mary as a resident of Toorak, which is where her death was also registered. (reg. no. 9579)

Mary, the first-born girl was named after her paternal grandmother.

Her parents Arthur Wolfe CHOMLEY & Juliana Charlotte HOGG married in Victoria in 1867 and they had seven other children, including two sons who died in infancy:

1. Arthur Edward b.&d.1868 Malvern (19 days old)

2. Frederick Griffith b.1870 Prahran

3. Edith Gwendoline b.1873 Malvern, married Reginald Septimus BOYD in 1900

4. William Burgh b.1875 Malvern, died 4/8/1960, age 85

5. Eileen Frances b.c1880, died 1962, age 82 (unmarried)

6. Stawell Arthur b.&d.1881 St Kilda (4 months old)

7. Aubrey Joan b.c1884, died 1977, age 93 (unmarried)

Arthur Wolfe CHOMLEY had been born in Wicklow, Ireland 4/5/1837, and after the death of his father Francis, his mother (Mary Elizabeth nee Griffiths) emigrated to Australia with her 7 sons, arriving in 1849.

Arthur, a Judge, at one time presided over the County and Supreme Courts of Victoria.

In 1889, he had the homestead ‘Dromkeen’ built at Riddle’s Creek. It was so named, to maintain a connection with his mother’s family home in Tipperary. This grand old homestead is now a museum that houses the ‘Dromkeen Collection of Australian Children’s Literature’.

It was at Riddle’s Creek that Mary’s mother Juliana died 14/8/1896, at the age of 47. Her father Arthur died at his home in Bruce St, Toorak 25/11/1914, age 77.

Arthur’sBrothers (Mary’s uncles) included:

Hussey Malone CHOMLEY (1832 – 1906) – who was the Chief Commissioner of Police Mar 1881 – Jun 1902

Two of his grandsons fought in WW1 (sons of Alex Francis & Jessie CHOMLEY)

1. Lieut. Alec Leslie Rutherford CHOMLEY (6327), 3rd Div Artillery, 9/7/15 – 23/3/19

2. Rupert Rutherford CHOMLEY, AFC, 2/12/15 -

Henry Baker CHOMLEY (d.1903) – he was the father of the writer C.H. CHOMLEY (Charles Henry 1868-1942)

George Hanna CHOMLEY

Sources:

Victorian BD&M Registers

Australian Dictionary of Biography

Various websites

Cheers, Frev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I looked up Mary Chomley on the National Library's online Australian newspapers site and came up with many articles on her. See

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/

regards

Kirsty

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Frev,

Hi Frev,

Just returned from the Cannes Film Festival. Our film Beneath Hill 60 was very well received with sales confirmed to England, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Norway and Finland. Also secured some interest with my Miss Chomley project. As regards Miss Chomley my research has raised a number of questions.

Firstly, when did she leave Australia to go to England ?

Secondly, when did she take up nursing ?

Thirdly, when did she join the Australian Red Cross in London ?

Fourthly, did she join the Red Cross as a nurse or perhaps as a volunteer ?

I followed your advice and visited the AWM to view her boxes of files. Was particularly struck by the photo album she kept of pictures of POWS sent to her.

Finally, my attempts to contact Peter Chomley have sadly been unsuccessful.

Regards, Ross (rossjthomas@bigpond.com)

A minor event regarding Miss Chomley, which in the end did not take place;

Proposed visit of Miss Mary Chomley, Sir Timothy Coghlan and Lady Coghlan to visit Australian prisoners of war in Switzerland:

Letter from Mr Fisher, the High Commissioner of Australia, requesting that passports be granted.

Letter from N F Batterbee, Secretary of State for the Colonies, urging that Sir T Coghlan be allowed to visit Switzerland and stating that rumours of pro-German sympathies are inaccurate.

Correspondence giving Sir H Rumbold's reasons for refusing permission for Sir Coghlan and his party to travel to Switzerland.

FO383/451

I remember reading the letter of refusal but can't remember the exact reason; something to do with it being unnecessary as the war was either over or almost over.

Doug

Ross - great news about Beneath Hill 60 - I have to confess I still haven't seen it yet - rarely get to the cinema. Will look forward to the DVD though!

Glad you've found lots of great info in the AWM files on MEM - I also think that the Chomley manuscript at the SLV would certainly be worth following up (as mentioned by Peter in post 22):

“The Chomley manuscript archives at the State Library of Victoria contain a number of family records and letters, notes, etc. of a more personal nature from MEM. They show a very independant woman with a keen sense of responsibility and interest in current affairs.”

Answers to your 4 questions certainly would be important for MEM's story - hopefully someone knows them.

Best I can offer are the following excerpts:

From the Australian Women’s Register:

“In London during [the war], she worked at the Princess Christian's Hospital for Officers from 1915-1916 and was secretary of the Prisoners of War branch of the Australian Red Cross, London, from 1916-1919.”

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/IMP0133b.htm

AWM: “The Prisoner of War Department of the Australian Red Cross Society was established in July 1916 ……….”

The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 12 Nov 1919:

PRISONERS OF WAR - RED CROSS AID

WELCOME TO LONDON WORKERS

…………………………………………………..

Miss Chomley outlined the work which had been done in London on behalf of the prisoners of war. She said that in May, 1916, the first Australians were taken prisoner in France, and it was two months later before their names came through. In the meantime the Australian Red Cross had moved to London, and they commenced to distribute parcels. Miss O’Connor and Miss Oliver had taken up the work, and she (Miss Chomley) was asked to join in it.

…………………………………………………………………….

[and the following adds to her character]

Miss Chomley said they also sent two lots of clothing a year, most of which came from English factories. There were restrictions, but the authorities in England often allowed parcels to go through for the Australians. “They used to think,” added Miss Chomley, “that the Australians were ferocious people, and would rise up if not treated well. I used to encourage that feeling.” (Laughter)

……………………………………………………………..

Hopefully Peter Chomley will check back in here at some stage - in the meantime, I have one small lead which might turn him up - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Doug - thanks for sharing MEM's 'minor event that didn't happen' - just think what a boon for the men that would have been to have their saviour come amongst them.

Cheers, Frev

Doug - that certainly is the same Miss Chomley.

She was very influential in the Victorian Arts & Crafts Society and was a leading member of the Victoria League for a huge part of her life.

Actually, her contribution to society in the many fields she pursued both after WW1 & during WW2, are really quite as astounding as her work for the POWs.

Cheers, Frev

• 1 year later...

Dear All,

I am new to the Great War Forum and joined with the purpose of finding more out about Mary Elizabeth Chomley. I realise this thread is rather old but on the off chance that someone may come back and visit I thought I would post.

I am a post graduate masters student at the University of Melbourne (Australia). I am currently writing my MA thesis in Art History on the collection of James McNeill Whistler's print by the National Gallery of Victoria. This all seems rather random I realise but it is connected to Miss Chomley!! You see in 1958 the Gallery acquired Miss Chomley's print collection, particularly her Dujardin prints which has been purchased by her father's brother Charles Albert Chomley who died, tragically, at the young age of 21 in a boating accident in Switzerland in 1860. His personal belongings, including these art works had been retained within the family, until 1958 when Miss Chomley decided to donate them to the Gallery.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Miss Chomley's love of art. I know she was an active member of the Victorian Art and Crafts Society here in Melbourne after the War, there are many newspaper articles to attest to this. However, was she ever a buyer of art? Could she perhaps have purchased prints when she was in England?

Her history is so fascinating and I would love to do her generosity to the Gallery justice in my thesis by finding out everything I can about her.

Kind regards, Kim

Greetings all (and well done)

I seem to recall that there is an Australian film maker keen to make a film about the wonderful Miss Chomley - I'm sure he's been on the forum before asking for information. When I have a flash from down under I will advise his name.

cheers

Kirsty

I seem to recall that there is an Australian film maker keen to make a film about the wonderful Miss Chomley - I'm sure he's been on the forum before asking for information. When I have a flash from down under I will advise his name.

He's Ross Thomas who has added to this thread a few times - see post #40

Sue

Welcome to the forum Kim - and thanks for bringing our Miss Chomley back to life again.

Without checking the many newspaper articles again, I did have a copy of this one that gives me the impression that these prints may have been collected by her - unless of course these are some of those collected by her uncle. :blink:

The Argus, Tue 27 Aug 1935:

FUNDS FOR CHURCH RESTORATION

“Fair and Famous Women”

Probably only the committee knows how much credit is due to Miss Mary Chomley for her work for the exhibition of portraits of “Fair and Famous Women”, which was opened by Lady Irvine yesterday afternoon, and which Lady Huntingfield will open again to-day at 3 pm at Scots Church Hall, Russell street.

Nearly every one of more than 400 portraits belongs to Miss Chomley, and her annotations to the catalogue, which it was hoped at one time would be published in full, are a valuable contribution.

........................................................................................

Anyway, if anyone knows more about her artwork, it would probably be Peter Chomley. Ross Thomas (whose email address you'll find above) has contact with him - so should be able to help you get in touch. If not, let me know & I'll see if my contact for him still works.

Best of luck with your thesis.

Cheers, Frev

Dear Frev,

Thanks so much for that. Great article. I will try and get in touch with Ross Thomas. It is still such a mystery and probably one of those questions I may never find an answer to!

I don't suppose anyone has read the records held at the Red Cross?

Thanks again. Kim :)

• 6 years later...

It’s over 12 years since the inquisitive Josephine started this thread, and sparked my interest in Miss Chomley.  It seemed for a while that she was haunting me; little snippets of information turning up here and there, and various people enquiring after her.  Now almost 7 years after my last post here I’m bringing her back to the fore.

I’ve recently been researching some of the other women that worked with her at the Australian Red Cross Prisoners of War Department, and I decided it was time I organised my file on Miss Chomley herself, and put it on line so others could see just how amazing she really was.

So, for any that are interested, you’ll find what I’ve gathered here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/blogs/entry/2271-mary-elizabeth-maude-chomley-obe/

Cheers, Frev