Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DVD - 1914 - 1918 - BBC series

Guest Messenger Marshall

Guest Messenger Marshall

Sorry I know its not a book, but can anyone recommend etc.. the DVD box set for the above - released April 2005 or can anyone recommend any others????

Much appreciated

Hi Messenger

If you mean the Great War seven DVD box set, then yes I can highly recommend it, you can also get it on tape.

Annette

Guest Messenger Marshall
Hi Messenger

If you mean the Great War seven DVD box set, then yes I can highly recommend it, you can also get it on tape.

Annette

Hi thanks for your reply, I should of been more specific, I have seen a 3-disc DVD narrated by Judi Dench by the BBC called 1914-1918 - wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Guest Firemanbob
Hi thanks for your reply, I should of been more specific, I have seen a 3-disc DVD narrated by Judi Dench by the BBC called 1914-1918 - wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Hi Messanger

I have the set you have mentioned, and its ok....some good footage and general history of the Great War. I have also seen the 7 disc set which Annette mentioned which is excellent. I guess its down to the cost at the end of the day? If you have a BBC shop near you, they sometimes have both sets on offer, if not try a search on www.kelkoo.com

Bob

I have not seen the 3 disc set except on the shelves in the shops but you will not regret the 7 DVD set. It is truly superb.

Try eBay. That is where I got mine.

REgards

I have not seen the 3 disc set except on the shelves in the shops but you will not regret the 7 DVD set. It is truly superb.

I have been after something like on DVD for a little while and didn't know what would be best. If it's comprehensive, fair, well written, the narrator doesn't bore you and it has decent original footage (rather than reconstruction, which i'm not too fond of) then i'm keen to get a copy. How much?

Chris

I would have no hesitation in recommending it. I never tire of watching it.

I have never seen it for less than 99.99 pounds but I got mine via eBay for 64.00 pounds

Good Luck

I would have no hesitation in recommending it. I never tire of watching it.

I have never seen it for less than 99.99 pounds but I got mine via eBay for 64.00 pounds

Good Luck

Well that has sold it for me, i'm going to have a look for it at the weekend. If it's something that you don't mind going back to time and time again then that to me is worth £100...but of course anything less is always a bonus!

Thanks

I found the 1914-18 BBC series a little disjointed, slightly on the negative side and not giving a balanced view of the war but rather pandering to the version of the Great War that rests in peoples minds.

The Great War series is far superior.

Sean

Play.com have it at £70 which is where I got mine. Needless to say, I have no connection etc etc.

Rich.

i picked up "the great war" TV series for £9.99 on tape off ebay, cant afford the DVDs way to expensive for a student

totally unrelated picked up the World at war on tape (the ww2 documentary from the 1970's) for £10 all in good nick (volume 2 case & cover wrecked that doesnt bother me the tapes are fine)