Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Great Uncle

Guest Messenger Marshall

Guest Messenger Marshall

Having found out a fair bit about my great grandfather I am now trying to find out a bit more of my great uncle John Turner Marshall - died 23/04/1916 - buried in Jarrow. He was part of the Corps of Royal Engineers 2/2nd Durham Field Coy, R.E). What would his role of been in war. It is also a complete mystery as to how he died, as records just say 'died'. I heard he died in the Irish Uprising, and his body brought back. Really dont know! Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks

MM

MM,

As he died in the UK he will have a death certificate, which might give you a bit more info.

You can see a bit more about the RE both on the sister site 'The Long, Long Trail' and also Google for Royal Engineers - there is a good site about them but I do not have the address.

Puerly as a guess, I doubt his body would have been brought back home, rather than having been buried where he died in Ireland.

The term 'died' implies from other causes such as illness or accident.

Maybe he was injured or taken ill in Ireland, brought back to England and then died later.

Ian

Guest Messenger Marshall
MM,

As he died in the UK he will have a death certificate, which might give you a bit more info.

You can see a bit more about the RE both on the sister site 'The Long, Long Trail' and also Google for Royal Engineers - there is a good site about them but I do not have the address.

Puerly as a guess, I doubt his body would have been brought back home, rather than having been buried where he died in Ireland.

The term 'died' implies from other causes such as illness or accident.

Maybe he was injured or taken ill in Ireland, brought back to England and then died later.

Ian

I did hear a story that he died by being hit by an army truck - but I do know that his wife fought hard to bring his body back to the UK. thanks for ypur thoughts