Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Tours

Guest Messenger Marshall

Guest Messenger Marshall

Hi,

Having been to see my Great Grandfathers grave in April and a brief visit to Ypres, I am heading back end of May but this time staying in Bruges. Planning a few days out at Ypres and wondered if anyone had gone on any of the organised battlefield tours that go from Ypres. Also I have found a couple of companies that do day trips from Bruges itself. Has anyone any experience of these tours or can anyone recommend one in particular.

Any advice appreciated

MM

Hi

Philippe who runs Quasimodo Tours from Brugge does a very good day tour of the area. I can heartly recommed him.

The website address is: http://www.quasimodo.be

Have a good stay

Liz

The Ariane hotel runs a minibus tour which always seems to attract favourable comment in the hotel's guest book. There are others, including one run by the Grenadier bookshop , down towards the Menin Gate. I have heard mixed reviews about that one, it must be said, but I hasten to add that I have no personal experience of any of them. Try to go on one that injects some individuality into the tour, rather than just 'this is Tyne Cot, be back on the coach in 10 minutes'. Difficult to tell in advance, though.

Guest Messenger Marshall

Hi yes thanks for your comments, will definatly look around, the last thing we want is to be rushed - might just try and do as much as we can independently (by bus and train) dont mind a bit of walk or cycling..... They all seem to visit pretty much the same places and I dont want to be on a tourist run... will keep investigating and looking to do it independently! Thanks again

I thought you wanted a tour from Brugge. If you want a tour from Ypres there are several to choose from and some will even adure to your requirements - so you go where you want to.

The tours based in Ypres are:

Flanders Battlefield Tours - Ariane

Over the Top Tours

Salient Tours

Trench Map Tours - Iain

Also, Kristof Demey

and Kristof who is a member of the forum also does tours to all areas.

Hope this helps

Liz

On the whole, I would advise you to go with your instincts-do your own, with e.g the Holt's Guide and map. My wife and I would definitely recommend the cycle option.

Talking from a tour guides point of view, I would have to politely suggest that there is a gulf of difference between taking a real guided tour and simply taking a map and going on your own.

There is a real gulf of quality difference in tours, agreed, but the art of a Good guide is far more than simply acting as a map reader, they will give factual details, tell stories of daring, sadness and humour, in a way that enables the group to "smell the cordite"

My advice is to carry on with your own research and choose carefully to ensure a great tour.

Good luck

JW

Would definately recommend Leger Tours. We have been with them on many occasions and have no complaints in fact have only the highest praise. We can all read books and absorb knowledge that way but their battlefield guides have so much information and make the whole tour so interesting. They will answer questions and will look points up and write to you after the tour ( this happened to us )

Two of their guides are Paul Reed ( walking the somme etc.) and peter williams ( don't start him on the zulu wars!)

We are in fact travelling with leger for the 1st. july anniversary of the somme weekend and are really looking forward to it.