Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Accident report?

Flyvulcan

My great-uncle was killed in an aircraft accident on 11Aug1918. He had survived 1 year of night bombing ops in France with 100SQN before being rotated for a rest on "home defence" duties. He was conducting instructional duties at the time of his accident. His accident occurred at Ashington Aerodrome, just outside Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It was probably in an Avro504 as I have a photo of a crash he had about 3 weeks before his final crash and this aircraft is a 504.

Could anyone advise me where I may be able to obtain a report relating to his final crash, if indeed there is one? I have a copy of his service record from Kew and in the entry relating to his final accident, there is a pen entry stating "Tele Aero 36 Sunderland". This may simply be the "authority" or "reference" relating to his accident. There is another "Incoming Authority Confirming" which is H.172 14/8/18.

His name is 2nd Lt. Alexander Wald, Spec Reserve RFC (by then RAF I think).

I have his diary/photos/medals/aircraft parts from the day he left Australia as part of the Australian Imperial Force, through Gallipoli, France etc to the day he died. Learning more information about his death will give me all the information I need to complete a book about him.

If there is anyone in the UK who could get their hands on a copy of this accident report, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Lt A Wald MC, of No 36 Sqn RAF, was flying FE 2b C9793 when he was killed in a flying accident on 11 August 1918. Commanded by Major W J Tempest, No 36 Sqn was a night fighting unit with its headquarters at Newcastle and bases at Ashington, Cramlington, Hylton and Seaton Carew.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

His casualty card may be at the RAF museum, but it will probably just have the same information as above.

You probably already have this, but in case you don't, 2Lt Alexander Wald's MC Citation, from the Gazette of 16 August 1918, is below.

Gareth

post-45-1146435146.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Dolphin, you come up with some amazing information! His second last crash ( he had many while at 100SQN) in July 1918 was at Hylton. The photo he sent home from it was of an Avro504 and his diary stated that Officer Cadet Horsington was badly hurt in the prang and he himself was "badly shaken", although he looks quite well in the photo where he is lying in the grass in a playful pose next to his overturned aircraft. He was off flying duties for a week after that prang. His diary doesnt reflect that he went back on to the FE2b, which of course he was experienced on from 100SQN. Thanks again. PS I have a copy of his gazetted citation but your effort is appreciated.