Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Burutu - 1918

cenbeth

Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

On 10 April 1918, this ship was attacked and fought off a German submarine. The Captain, H A Yardley, was awarded the DSO and my grandfather (Edward Jones) given a gold medal by the passengers which I have.

My Grandfather wouldn't speak about himself so I have never been able to find out about him. What I'd like to know is whether anyone else was given Gold medals for this action and whether there is any citation with Captain Yarley's medal.

Thanks

Cennydd

Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

On 10 April 1918, this ship was attacked and fought off a German submarine. The Captain, H A Yardley, was awarded the DSO and my grandfather (Edward Jones) given a gold medal by the passengers which I have.

My Grandfather wouldn't speak about himself so I have never been able to find out about him. What I'd like to know is whether anyone else was given Gold medals for this action and whether there is any citation with Captain Yarley's medal.

Thanks

Cennydd

Dear Cennyd

If you look at P5 of this bulletin you'll see some other postings re Burutu. Were either your grandfather or Captain Yardley by any chance Canadians? My Grandfather Jacob Bussey was in the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve and went down with Burutu in September 1918.

Allan West

Cennydd, not the answers you are looking for, but you might find this interesting

On10th April 1918 the SS Burutu SS (defensively armed), 3,902 grt, was damaged by German U-boat, U 154. The U-boat was fought off by gunfire 14 miles SSW from Cape Mesurado, Monrovia area. 2 members of the Burutu's crew were killed.

Best wishes

David

Cennydd, not the answers you are looking for, but you might find this interesting

On10th April 1918 the SS Burutu SS (defensively armed), 3,902 grt, was damaged by German U-boat, U 154. The U-boat was fought off by gunfire 14 miles SSW from Cape Mesurado, Monrovia area. 2 members of the Burutu's crew were killed.

Best wishes

David

Dear Members,

Can any one help me?

Thanks

Cennydd

Hi Cennydd

Are you sure the Captain was awarded a DSO, only 'Naval Honours and Awards' by Hayward give

it as a DSC. 'Henry A.Yardley, LG 21st June 18, Captain Merchant Navy'.

I've tried to confirm either in the LG but have had no luck, perhaps someone with more expertise

could oblige.

I presume the gold medal is a private issue, would be interesting if you could give us more details.

Regards

John

Hi Cennydd

Are you sure the Captain was awarded a DSO, only 'Naval Honours and Awards' by Hayward give

it as a DSC. 'Henry A.Yardley, LG 21st June 18, Captain Merchant Navy'.

I've tried to confirm either in the LG but have had no luck, perhaps someone with more expertise

could oblige.

I presume the gold medal is a private issue, would be interesting if you could give us more details.

Regards

John

Hi,

I got my information from The Elder Dempster Fleet History, 1852 - 1985. In this it describes Captain Yardley as being awarded the Distinguished Sevice Order. It could have got it wrong.

Yes, the gold medal would be private as it was awarded by the passengers. It states:

Presented to Mr EDWARD JONES by the passengers of the RMS BURUTU during an

engagement with an enemy submarine

On the reverse it states

Monrovia

April 10th 1918

Regards

Cennydd

• 14 years later...

Hi If anyone has any info / family photographs they would like to share regarding the Burutu I would love to hear from you.  My great grandfather was first mate Frederick Blythe who went down with the ship.

Tuvs

Welcome to the Forum !

I see that the original poster here,Cenbeth,hasn't been on the Forum since 2008. I was going to suggest that you got in touch and asked if you could see the account of the BURUTU in the Elder Dempster Fleet History 1852-1985, where it is likely to have the incident recorded.

I have used this book in Southampton Maritime Collection for other ED vessels lost/damaged in WW1 and know how useful it is !

Edited by sotonmate

On 25/11/2020 at 13:08, sotonmate said:

Tuvs

Welcome to the Forum !

I see that the original poster here,Cenbeth,hasn't been on the Forum since 2008. I was going to suggest that you got in touch and asked if you could see the account of the BURUTU in the Elder Dempster Fleet History 1852-1985, where it is likely to have the incident recorded.

I have used this book in Southampton Maritime Collection for other ED vessels lost/damaged in WW1 and know how useful it is !

Many thanks for this

There may be a crew list. crew lists or Elder Dempster. I found one somewhere a few ago for another Elder Dempster ship.