Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seeking Capt George Douglas Pullar, 6th Black Watch

Simon Jones

I am looking for information on Captain George Douglas Pullar, 6th Black Watch

(in connection with my research into Sapper Dorothy Lawrence). I already have London Gazette entries, his service record & Campaign Medal Index Card.

I have today ordered two books by Dr. Albert W. (Bill) Harding, on Pullars of Perth and Perth in the Great War.

Does anyone know how to contact Dr Harding?

Many thanks

Simon

Malcolm

Thank you. I should have given the full title for 'On Flows the Tay' - Perth in the Great War, which I ordered today through Amazon (very cheap copies available). I'll try the publisher's website which you gave to try to contact the author if there are no contact details in his books when they arrive.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon

G.D.Pullar OBE - I have researched him .

I must have missed this about Sapper Laurence - what's the connection?

His Uncle was John Lindsay Pullar OBE,I have a reasonable amount on him and photo of his grave.

Fred

Hi Simon

I put that wrong GD was the uncle & JL was the nephew.

Fred

That is indeed G.D.

As well as various papersI have pics of him as an old man as well plus details of what he did later in life and where he lived & died.

He unveiled the train named THE BLACK WATCH in Glasgow, I have a pic of this wth him wearing uniform and medals. He finished a Major with the TD as well as the OBE.

I also have his medals+minatures & ribbon bars from his uniform. (I wonder where his sword is?)

Fred

Fred & Tom

Many thanks for your replies - I have just got back from being away.

My interest is that I think he was Town Major of Albert in September 1915. I have an account from an officer's diary which says that Dorothy was told to leave Albert by the Town Major 'Pullar'. G D Pullar seems the most likely candidate in the 51st Division (whose sector it was) and his regimental service ceases at around this time.

I know he was later an APM and his service file contains a report from 15/5/17 turning him down as a Major because he has not had enough regimental experience to become a Company Commander. Have you any reference to him as a Town Major?

regards

Simon

Simon

I have nothing to say he was Town Major of Albert at this time. His movements are not well documented by the regiment but if you pulled his papers you will have noticed it says he left the battalion in Dec 15. He was not made Major until 1.6.16 however the leter you saw refering to him as Capt was dated 6.6.17 which does not seem to fit the date of his being made Major? The title Town Major may have been honorary. In many respects he fits the bill especially as you know he was an APM at Etaples.

I have looked at a few references on Dorothy and it seems an interesting story to follow up, however I am not sure what papers may be worth pulling to prove if he was Town Major of Albert? There are too many gaps in his service that need filling and I have been looking for a long time although perhaps in the wrong places :(

Fred

Simon,

Here is the only mention I can find of him in A History of the Black Watch in the Great War Vol II. As you can see the year is 1915.

Aye

Tom McC

Pts 1 and 2

post-10175-1147113310.jpg

post-10175-1147113343.jpg

Tom

Very many thanks.

Simon

Simon,

Not much about him at the end of the Chapter on the 6th Black Watch. He has been promoted and given the OBE.

Hope this helps

Tom McC

post-10175-1147114901.jpg

Tom, cheers again!

By the way, the Pte Nicholson referred to in the earlier extract was the subject of this thread and an earlier linked one.

Regards

Simon