Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

digital cameras

Coldstreamer

Hello

Some one offered once to take a picture of a memorial but couldnt get a decent picture as the names where too high up

playing with my camera and putting a pair of binoculars to the lens works!

See below examples (I hope!)

It might help some one but obviously has more applications that war memorial photos

Ian

post-3871-1146339213.jpg

post-3871-1146339248.jpg

Yes , this does work fairly well and there is even a name for it - "digiscoping". At it's most sophisticated you can get get dedicated adaptors to link good quality digital cameras to similarly good quality spotting scopes -by leica, zeiss etc. The results are almost as good as those achieved by dedicated guality telephoto lenses.

Hello

never thought there would be a name for it

this was as technical as holding the camera lense right up against the binoculars . the only tricky bit is holding a camera, bins and adjusting both at the same time. but with a digi you take as many pics as you want and keep one..any one miss film ?

Ian

..any one miss film ?

Not me.

I love the freedom of being able to take 300 pics and then bin half of them later.

Also, as I don't impose my works of art on bored friends and relatives by going through endless print albums, I can please myself what I want to see.

Finally, and probably the most important point, digital is the ultimate in portability and is not confined to one particular medium to view.

Martin

I don't impose my works of art on bored friends and relatives by going through endless print albums

Martin

But you can e-mail fascinating pics of your family and pets, recent DIY jobs & wonderful close ups of the flowers in your garden to appreciative acquaintances. :P Phil B

But you can e-mail fascinating pics of your family and pets, recent DIY jobs & wonderful close ups of the flowers in your garden to appreciative acquaintances. :P Phil B

Yes but they can bin the emails without even having to look at them.

Have you ever tried to walk away from someone who is intent of showing you an album of pics of little Sarah at the age of 2?

I too love my digital camera, have had loads of fun with it and it lives in my handbag all the time!

Whats the syaing? the things you see when you don't have your camera (sorry gun!)

Mandy PS anyone want to see my photo's...........

ok I'll get me coat.

this was as technical as holding the camera lense right up against the binoculars . the only tricky bit is holding a camera, bins and adjusting both at the same time.

Ian

Yes it is tricky holding and adjusting both especially in a seaway. Many moons ago and wanting something a little different I took some shots using a film SLR (55mm focal length lens) aligned with one half of a pair of admiralty pattern binoculars but with the bin's large optic against the front of the lens filter in other words the wrong way round. This enabled a good shot at very close range of a group in a Gemini dinghy comming alongside the yacht Merlin whilst sailing in the Solent.

An extension of this idea is to put a standard focal length (wrt 35mm 45-50 mm) lens face to face with a 200 mm or so telephoto for a magnification effect (macro like) on the cheap if you already have such optics sculling around. This may work with some digital cameras at their maximum optical zoom setting.

Hello

Heath Robinson is my middle name - I like finding solutions especially that cost very little - all very "lean"

Ian

For a Heath Robinson piece (no insult intended!), the results are magnificent!

Roxy