Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th CEF

Graeme Heavey

I currently have in my possession a 14-15 star and victory medal awarded to 53192 Sgt Young of the 18th battalion CEF.

Should there be a BWM too? Can any of our canadian cousins provide me with any info on him, his regt and if he survived (god I hope so). If I can trace his family they will get the medals back.

Graeme

I'm glad to hear the medals are in good hands.

The military attestation for Robert Young, 53192 indicates that he was born in London, England. Next of Kin: Henry Young at 34 Brunswick Rd., London N. He was born April 24th, 1889.

He enlisted with the CEF at Windsor, Ontario, Oct. 22, 1914.

His attestation may be viewed here:

Sgt. Robert Young 53192

I don't know when he came to Canada, however, the Canadian Census for 1901 and 1911 is online and is indexed for searching. I checked through both and didn't see him there.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

He likely survived: here are Canada's war dead:

Canadian Virtual War Memorial

Graeme:

I have checked the 1901,1906,and 1911 cenus and found no Robert Young. I did find a Mark Robert Young that would be the right age in passenger list for Home Children. I will try and attach a copy, and hope for success. My eyes are done for to-day but will try doing a Cenus search for a Mark Robert Young to-morrow and will post it if I find anything.

Doris

Here is a small sample of Canadian Great War websites which should enable you to undertake a quick overview of his activities. The war diaries will give a daily account and the Official History of the CEF will place things within context.

Regards

Borden Battery

===============================================

Library and Archives Canada - Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)

Over 600,000 Canadians enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) during the First World War (1914-

1918). The CEF database is an index to those personnel files, which are held by the National Archives. To date,

over 800,000 images of Attestation papers have been scanned and are being made available on-line.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html

Library and Archives Canada - War Diaries of the First World War

This database contains the digitized War Diaries of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units. From the start of

the First World War, CEF units were required to maintain a daily account of their “Actions in the Field.” This log was

called a War Diary. The War Diaries are not personal diaries, rather they are a historical record of a unit’s

administration, operations and activities during the First World War.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020152_e.html

Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919,

Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, C.D., Army Historical Section

This is the classic reference text [the Bible] for any student of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great

War. The original text is very difficult to obtain, however, the document is now available in .pdf format directly

from the historical section of the Canadian Armed Forces website. [Note: The pagination in the online document is

different than the original document - therefore citations with page number references cannot be used.]

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/O...ories/CEF_e.PDF

Graeme

Sorry my lad is not him. Different no. for army. I did find a Robert Young in the 1911 Census. I do not have access right now to get the details, but will try tomorrow.

I know Young's in the Ottawa Valley where I grew up. They are farmers and have been for generations. I will check out their family history to see if possible connection. Would be great to locate family. I know I would be estatic to be able to find my grandfathers medals. I will keep trying to see if I can help you find the family.

Doris

Friends,

Many thanks for all you have done. The good mans initials are R.H. the H may be for Henry? See next of kin above!! .

As I say, should there be another medal here? I am assuming so. My posts will be delayed between postings as I am at home for a few days and its not as easy to get time online but I will not forget to keep checking!!

Doris I hope you can find the mans family!! They will of course need to prove to me they are his family and should get the medals- I wouldnt want them to get into the wrong hands!

• 7 months later...

Always a war medal with the star and victory (the same as the BEF). Sadly it may have been lost in the great silver meltdown years ago.

I hope not Terry but I fear you may be right. I hope one of your countryman can help and sees this thread again. I brought it up because I havent forgotten about the medals you see.