Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not on the CWGC website,

Tony Lund

Charles Sykes Floyd, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.

I have a feeling this man must have died after the war. A 1914 volunteer with the Holmfirth territorial company, he was the son of a Holmfirth magistrate. He does not appear on the CWGC website or the main Holmfirth Memorial, but he is named on the Netherthong War Memorial, near Holmfirth, which is presumably his home village. The only address I have for him is “Rose Leigh,” which sounds like it is the house name.

Wounded when a Private in June 1915 not long after arriving in France, he wrote, “Four bullets whizzed past me and the fifth got me in the calf of the leg,” Wounded for a second time when a Second Lieutenant in July 1917.

If I could find his date of death it would make finding the obituary a lot easier.

Medal Index Card:

West Riding Regiment 3053 Private

West Riding Regiment 3053 Corporal

West Riding Regiment Second Lieutenant

West Riding Regiment Captain

West Riding Regiment Lieutenant

Any help will be appreciated,

Tony.

The Regimental Museum may be able to help.

The Duke of Wellington’s Regimental Museum

Bankfield Museum

Akroyd Park

Halifax

West Yorkshire

HX3 6HG.

Telephone 01422 354823 / 01422 352334

Fax: 01422 349020

E-mail: museums-arts@calderdale.gov.uk

Regards

Edwin Astill

Hello

not on soldiers died cd

Ian

Hello

Might not be anything but there is a Charles Sykes Flloyd mentioned in the Times - not read all the page but Huddersfield is mentioned in the text too

http://web1.infotrac.galegroup.com/itw/inf...sw_aep=cam_earl

Ian

Ian,

Thanks, but I cannot get access through the link. Is there a date for that Times reference please?

Tony.

Tony

I looked through the register of deaths from 1917 to 1925 but couldn't find your man.

I did find his birth registered in Q4/1885 in Huddersfield. And in the 1891 census, he lived at "Roseleigh", in Netherthong. By the time of the 1901 census, he was a boarder at Giggleswick Grammar School.

Tony

I looked through the register of deaths from 1917 to 1925 but couldn't find your man.

I did find his birth registered in Q4/1885 in Huddersfield. And in the 1891 census, he lived at "Roseleigh", in Netherthong. By the time of the 1901 census, he was a boarder at Giggleswick Grammar School.

Thanks for that. Apart from there being no record of his death all that fits.

At that time Holmfirth church birth registers were sent to Huddersfield every year or so. And Netherthong is in Holmfirth, in fact their memorial is at the top of a lane and the main Holmfirth one is (more or less) at the bottom of the same lane, about a mile apart.

I was thinking Captain Floyd might have been still alive when the main memorial was built, and the smaller village memorial might have come later. But I will not know anything for certain until I have tracked down all the details relating to the various Holmfirth area memorials. I have a feeling that is going to take some time yet.

I have records of two Holmfirth Mill owner's sons being killed serving as privates with the territorials so there is nothing unusual about a public schoolboy joining the local company in 1914, although the ones that survive do tend to be commissioned at some point.

Thanks again,

Tony.

• 6 months later...

Ok, my mistake, now lets change those initials from CS Floyd to CP Floyd.

Cecil Peel Floyd, was the brother of the Charles Sykes Floyd named above and it is Cecil not Charles that died.

Apparently he was with the Royal Garrison Artillery and his health broke down during training, presumably early in the war. He died at his home in Huddersfield in January 1919. He grew up at Netherthong near Holmfirth where his father was a prominent businessman and magistrate. It is no surprise to find his name on the memorial in the village but missing from the main Holmfirth one under these circumstances.

Tony.

• 6 years later...

The Charles Sykes Floyd you mention was my grandfather. His brother Cecil (aka Eric) died at the time of the Great War. They enlisted in the local Pals battalion together - my greatgrandmother's last words to my grandfather on the battalion's departure for France were 'Charley, look after Eric'.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
On 08/11/2006 at 14:36, Tony Lund said:

Cecil Peel Floyd, was the brother of the Charles Sykes Floyd named above and it is Cecil not Charles that died.

Apparently he was with the Royal Garrison Artillery and his health broke down during training, presumably early in the war. He died at his home in Huddersfield in January 1919. He grew up at Netherthong near Holmfirth where his father was a prominent businessman and magistrate. It is no surprise to find his name on the memorial in the village but missing from the main Holmfirth one under these circumstances.

Cecil Peel Floyd 177092 RGA. According to the pension record on Ancestry his disability was pulmonary tuberculosis, but this originated in civil employment prior to mobilisation and was neither attributed to nor aggravated by military service.

From October 1917...C S Floyd seems to have had an intense war.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20210213-091921.jpg

C P Floyd died on January 20th 1919.

Screenshot_20210213-092419.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer