Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt. G Hancox

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Can anyone tell me any info on the following i.e. where he was when he died, how he died ie illness or injury please.

762 Serjeant G Hancox aka 308197

West Riding Regt.

K I A 13/04/1918

1ST/7st Bn.

I came accross his 14-15 star today if anyone has his other medals they may wish to contact me to reunite them.

Thanks to those who reply.

SDGW has him down as KIA

Glyn

I can find something for you on Tuesday. The 1st 7th Battalion is in the same Brigade and Division as the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, and there is a copy of the history of the 1st 4th at Huddersfield library where I will be going on Tuesday evening. Wherever the 1st 4th are the 1st 7th will not be far away.

147th Infantry Brigade.

49th West Riding Division.

Enlisted Uppermill, resident of Delph, Lancashire.

These places are not too far from the Colne Valley, and the 1st 7th was known as the Colne Valley Battalion. Maybe he worked there and was a pre-war territorial? The Huddersfield to Manchester railway line runs right through the place.

I will take out the book, if nothing else it will give the general area he was in.

Tony.

According to the History of the West Riding Territorials in the Great War, the 147th Infantry Brigade was attached to the 34th Division at the time, and employed as a rearguard. They joined the Division near Armentieres on the night of 9th/10th April. Rearguard on the night of the 11th/12th. April 12th - 14th holding a position in the southern outskirts of Bailleul. During this period the 7th Battalion seem to have had a bad time of it, but there is nothing more definite.

Tony.

Guest KevinEndon

Thank you so much for your time in finding out this information for me a credit to this forum. Hope I can return the favour some time.

Kevin