Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can't find this lad on CWGC

jim_davies

Can't find this lad on CWGC website, he is commemorated on various war memorials in Stamford on Soldiers Died:

Pte Frederick Woods, 36267, 1st Northumberland Fusiliers, KIA, 3 May 1917.

Also have his obituary, which confirms the above. Tried various ways of inputting his name but haven't found him.

Jim

He's on 'Soldiers Died..' as 36267 Private Fred Woods, 1st Battalion, killed in action 3/5/17, as you report. Like you, a quick search of CWGC with 'Wood' like names didn't turn him up.

He's on 'Soldiers Died..' as 36267 Private Fred Woods, 1st Battalion, killed in action 3/5/17, as you report. Like you, a quick search of CWGC with 'Wood' like names didn't turn him up.

Does it say anything else on his MIC?

Mick

Could we not ascertain where other casualties of the battalion on the same day are buried or commemorated and then have a look at the "W"'s in the cemetery/memorial lists. Am away from my copy of SDGW so can't do this myself.

hell

if all else fails , send them an email

Ive had a couple of Coldstream Gds I couldnt find and they have always come up trumps :D

Ian

Hello

had a quick look using soldiers died - Arras memorial looks possible - 3 I looked up are commemorated on there... and two not on CWGC either ..very odd

Ian

Thanks for the checks guys, I'll email the CWGC and see whether they can track him down.

Ian who are they other two lads?

Cheers,

Jim

Hello

cant remember - Shilton I think . cant check on line as have an old version of cd and have to change the date on the computer to before 2000 ! and dont like doing so whilst on line

I will check unless some one beats me to it. Just thought odd that not there as usually it works well

Ian

Can't find this lad on CWGC website, he is commemorated on various war memorials in Stamford on Soldiers Died:

Pte Frederick Woods, 36267, 1st Northumberland Fusiliers, KIA, 3 May 1917.

Also have his obituary, which confirms the above. Tried various ways of inputting his name but haven't found him.

Jim

Hi Jim

I've been searching the soldiers died disc and there were 34 members of the 1st batt NF died on the 3/5/17 but not only could I not find your man but also about 4 more. but all 30 I found are all on the arras memorial. The whole 30. Didn't anyone do a search that day.

:( burnsey

Guest geoff501
I've been searching the soldiers died disc and there were 34 members of the 1st batt NF died on the 3/5/17 but not only could I not find your man but also about 4 more. but all 30 I found are all on the arras memorial. The whole 30. Didn't anyone do a search that day.

I've found 35 NCOs and other ranks on CWGC for 1st Bn for this date, plus one other Captain (age 21) and another Captain (age 20) 2nd Bn. attd 1st Bn. So 37 in total. All but one of the 37 are on Arras Memorial, one is Dury Crucifix Cemetery. None named Woods. Curiously the two with reg. numbers either side of Woods (36266, 36268) are there.

Hello

The mystery deepens...

Ian

Considering the numbers of deaths, I am suprspised that CWGC does not have more missing

They do however seem to sort out such problems , quite quickly, when exposed; I assume they release the importance of their records to the families and others

Stephen

Guest geoff501
Hello

The mystery deepens...

You mentioned SHINTON - thats the name in SDGW but it is SHINION on CWGC. Is this one of the two

you did not find?

Other than Pte. Fred WOODS, there is one other not on CWGC but in SDGW:

Pte 204091 Joseph LUDLAW 1st Bn. Northumberland.

The two captains I mentioned are present in both (Lt in SDGW).

Geoff

Guest geoff501

...and two on CWGC but not on SDGW:

Name: MASON, MATHEW

Initials: M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Service No: 26/426

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 2 and 3.

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name: JOHNSON, JAMES

Initials: J

Service No: 36248

Additional Information: Husband of Susan Johnson, of 3, Fold Yard, High Moorsley, Hettonle-Hole, Co. Durham.

Guest geoff501

Just found him, another difference in spelling between the two systems:

Name: LUDLAM, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Service No: 204091

Additional Information: Son of Joseph and Sarah Hannah Ludlam, of 13, Glebe Crescent, Water Works, Murton, Co. Durham.

Hello

Wasnt sure about the name - they look similar so probably, yes

Ian

You mentioned SHINTON - thats the name in SDGW but it is SHINION on CWGC. Is this one of the two

you did not find?

The two captains I mentioned are present in both (Lt in SDGW).

Geoff

JIm

Just checked the Red Cross List of Missing but am afriad whilst it included several 1st N.Fusliers from this attack, it did not make mention of Frederick Woods or anyone with the number 36267. Both 36266 Walton and 36268 Walker are listed as X Company, as is 426 Mason. 36248 Johnson is listed as Z Company.

Chris

With reference to SHINTON v SHINION above.....

CWGC amended this record to read SHINTON this morning after I reported the possible typo.

• 5 months later...

Hi Jim

Any chance of a copy of Fred Woods obituary please. I have his medals in my collection.

I have been aware for some time about Fred and others in his bn who lost their lives on the same day and are not commemerated ,but it is costly to convince the powers that be.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Absolutely, here goes: the "other case" is from the top of the column "during the past week news has been received that death has claimed two more local men", Fred was the second man.

"The other case is that of priv Fred Woods eldest son of Mr F Woods, 26 ST Pauls St, who is reportedas having been killed in action 3 May, through the bursting of an enemy shell. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers, and only 19 years of age. He joined the army about eight months ago, prior to which he was employed by the Martin Cultivator Company. He was home on leave at Easter."

I will also try to dig out the actual copy from the newspaper for you.

I'm researching the lads of Stamford, Lincs who fell in the war which is why I'm interested in Fred. Haven't progressed very far with regard to researching him though-got sidetracked with all the lads who joined the local regt. Have you been able to piece anything together on his service?

Jim

PS-received a nice reply from the CWGC yesterday regarding Fred, perhaps all is not lost