Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Inniskillings history

lionboxer

Regular or service? Any name. may be able to help.

Any mention of Sgt. Richard W. WESTGATE 41038 I don't know which battalion but was transferred from the Norfolks and then back again to the Norfolks but with a different regtl. no. The MM was Gazetted on 19th Nov 1917. Thanks.

Lionboxer

No Westgates on the list of MM winners for Ulster Division.

Therefore you can rule out all the Inniskilling Btns in that formation.

Sorry .. that's all I have.

Thankyou for that. So what battalions do we have left, 7th and 8th? Any idea why he joined the Skins from the Norfolks then went back again?

Lionboxer

I have gleaned further information that might be helpful. In Nov 17 Lt Col Sherwood-Kelly of the Norfolk Regt won the VC with the First Bn Skins. I wonder if my man was drafted at the same time from the Norfolks with him. Is there a mention in the First Bn history?

Lionboxer

Reckoned he was with regular mob. Keep going. Check what I can my end.

des

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth Sir Frank Fox states that Major J Sherwood Kelly assumed command of 1st Bn RIF on March 29th 1917 in place of Lt Col Willis.

(The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in the World War by Sir Frank Fox OBE.)

• 4 months later...

Does anyone with a history of the Inniskillings have a mention of Lt. Col. John McDonnell, 5th Btn Leinster Regt., attd. 1st Btn Inniskillings at the time of his death on 29/9/18? He is buried in Ypres Reservoir Cemetery.

"Oficers Died in the Great War" says he was killed in action. Were the Inniskillings there at that time?

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks, Desmond7. That gives an account of the action in which the 1st Inniskillings were involved.

The action on the day Lt.Col. McDonnell was killed was well to the east of Ypres, from Becelaere to Dadizeele and Vujfwegen. However, McDonnell is buried in the Ypres Reservoir cemetery, in the centre of Ypres. Do you think it is reasonable to suppose that he was wounded, and taken to a medical unit in Ypres? Wouldn't he have been buried nearer to the battlefield if he had been killed outright?

Michael