Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian war graves commission...

roel22

Resurrecting an old thread.

There have been recent changes within the various Belgian defence and veterans organisations and I must admit I found it hard to track down who did what with the cemeteries and war graves now. I contacted them yesterday and got this helpful reply from Steve Maertens of the new War Heritage Institute: 

"The maintenance itself is done by a private firm.
The planning and the payments are done by the Defence Department
The control and the general management is with the War Heritage Institute and more in particular by the War Graves Service."

On 21/02/2007 at 14:39, CROONAERT said:

If you want anything looking up from this CD-ROM and can't get hold of him, drop me a line as Patrick gave me a copy of this CD a while back (apparently, according to him, I was (at the time) the only person in the UK to posess this CD! B) )

Dave

I have the CD, but then I^m not in the UK! However, I did find that there is no trace of at least two graves on the CD (Bath and Cork).

19 hours ago, museumtom said:

He is buried in Cobh Old Church Cemetery healdav.

I couldn't remember the name! But, in fact, he isn't there. My wife and I spent a couple of hours searching for his grave (of course he my not have any headstone). But the rest of the cemetery is very interesting - Lusitania victims and all sorts of local worthies.

Edited by healdav

On 20/12/2019 at 18:00, museumtom said:

Yes. Interesting because we would have seen that. It may be that it is fairly new - it was at least 20 years ago that I was there. I did pass details of the request to the Cork WFA Branch, and they said they would look into it, so maybe they found records that said where he was buried (the cemetery, is built in and around an old chapel, so it's anything but tidy), and the Belgians put up a stone - it is anything but the standard Belgian WW1 gravestone.