Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for the men?

Sue Light

traced back to the thirteenth century in Somerford Booths - so just where you mean, I think.

Yep. Reckon so.

I'm not 100% sure exactly where Somerford Booths is - but it's nearish to Congleton and so is the village of Swettenham.

John

Guest Simon Bull
Lady Rosemary is the young gel with her hand showing the 4 fingers. She was at one time rumoured to be the choice of bride for Pragger Wagger

Michelle - pardon my ignorance but who is Pragger Wagger?

Guest Simon Bull

OK to return to the original theme of the thread:

I think Lady Mary Swettenham is extremely attractive, although I am not sure that I would say that she is classically beautiful. As far as beauty is concerned there is something just very slightly wrong about the proportions of the face that does not quite work for me.

Attractive because she is very pretty; because those things which make women very attractive such as intelligence and confidence and capability and spirit and determination seem to shine through the picture; because she looks as if she expects men to treat her as an equal and will not be easily daunted.

For me women may be beautiful but they are not necessary attractive if they do not have the qualities of personality and charm which this lady seems to have (although that is only an impression formed from a face).

I would far rather spend time with Lady Mary Swettenham than a beautiful bimbo who had nothing to say and no personality or charm (and that is not a sexist comment - it seems likely to me that the same thing could be said about men who have no charm, grace or intelligence).

Guest Simon Bull
And Oates... very Indiana Jones, but perhaps spoilt by the revelations about his slightly suspect past [allegedly]...

Sue

What slightly suspect past (possibly) Sue?

Simon

A few years back a story emerged about a relationship he had with an eleven year old, that resulted in her having a daughter. It seems to be one of those stories that can't quite be proved or disproved - but for me it rather takes the gloss off Oates, if he can be thought of as glossy in the first place.

As for Lady Swettenham - I think I agree with you. The picture is striking, mainly because it's beautifully posed and lit, and the sitter seems experienced in projecting herself for the camera. And also because when it was taken she must have been forty years old, and even without airbrushing, seems to have the most flawless complexion. I would be very interested in her character and her motives for doing this wartime work, but I think we'll just have to guess at that.

Sue

Guest Simon Bull
Simon

A few years back a story emerged about a relationship he had with an eleven year old, that resulted in her having a daughter. It seems to be one of those stories that can't quite be proved or disproved - but for me it rather takes the gloss off Oates, if he can be thought of as glossy in the first place.

As for Lady Swettenham - I think I agree with you. The picture is striking, mainly because it's beautifully posed and lit, and the sitter seems experienced in projecting herself for the camera. And also because when it was taken she must have been forty years old, and even without airbrushing, seems to have the most flawless complexion. I would be very interested in her character and her motives for doing this wartime work, but I think we'll just have to guess at that.

Sue

Oates - I do recall this now. I had sort of discounted it as possibly scurrilous, but who knows...

My estimation of Lady Swettenham's looks goes up knowing that she was 40 - looks much younger.

I would far rather spend time with Lady Mary Swettenham than a beautiful bimbo who had nothing to say and no personality or charm

I agree with you Simon.

I'm much reminded of a colleague many years ago. He always claimed that his two hobbies were adultery and building canal boats (the product of the latter being somewhere to take the product of the former). I well remember his sage advice to us young chaps - that being "At some point, lads, you have conversations. It can never just be sex". Wise words from an expert.

John

The claim was made by author Michael Smith in his book I Am Just Going Outside that Oates had fathered a child with an 11-year-old Scottish girl. The story was reported by BBC Scotland in 2002. More details here.

Gary