Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for the men?

Sue Light

Thanks for starting this thread, Sue. Bottom line (excuse the pun) is that underlying all this I'm sure we all have enormous respect for the contribution these brave women, on all sides, made to the war...nursing the wounded, undeniably boosting morale and preserving a vestige of humanity.

Gary

Yes I agree with that they did a marvellous job.

Roger.

Thanks Gary - there are several forum members who have a great interest in women's contribution to the War, but it really does remain minority interest for most people - and perhaps that's good news in some ways.

Anyway - for all those suffering from uniform mania, just sit back, relax, and imagine that you're the Prince of Wales:

And although not named on the image, I believe the woman on the Prince's left to be Lady Rosemary Leveson-Gower, daughter of the Duchess of Sutherland.

Sue

"And I notice that the 'blonde' fans seem to have absented themselves from this thread "

:D

post-150-1146250072.gif

Anyway - for all those suffering from uniform mania, just sit back, relax, and imagine that you're the Prince of Wales:

Nurse of the left is saying "No problem. Uncross your legs and pop back there for a piss".

Nurse on the right is gesturing to her mate off camera meaning "Four fingers of gin. I need a really stiff drink after talking to this ejeet"

Guest Dangerfield

And I was thinking 'I wonder what that woman is doing in uniform?' when looking at that picture.

I mean, take a closer look. Doesn't the prince look quite feminine on that photo? :)

C'mon Sue you must've known this would happen. :D

Roger.

C'mon Sue you must've known this would happen. :D

Roger

It worries me [REALLY worries me] that you might even suspect that I didn't!

Serious discussion... keeping to the point... sensitivity... HERE? :blink:

Sue

:ph34r:

Roger

It worries me [REALLY worries me] that you might even suspect that I didn't!

Serious discussion... keeping to the point... sensitivity... HERE? :blink:

Sue

:ph34r:

Good point, whatever was I thinking. :D

Roger.

Right - back on track. TD60 posted this photo of his great grandmother, a French Nurse. She has a beautiful, grave face, class ,and will restore sophitication and good taste to ths thread:

Marina

Right - back on track. TD60 posted this photo of his great grandmother, a French Nurse. She has a beautiful, grave face, class ,and will restore sophitication and good taste to ths thread:

Marina

Well done Marina, and about time too.

roger

Was it a mere 26 hours ago that I started a tasteful and sophisticated thread... ?

For which I'm extremely grateful.

Any idea where old man Swettenham came from - there's a village not far away of the same name?

John

The nurses are as beautiful as the lads are handsome.

Uniform maketh the man or woman.

Mandy (and no I will not post a pic of me in uniform cos I can't find it, Mum must still have it!)

Dream on chaps - just thought I'd remind you that the nurses are likely to view you rather differently from how you view them - have you never heard all the raucous laughter coming from the sluice? :lol:

Sue

Hah! I recall a nurse making noises of a rather different kind in the sluice once whilst in a ward at Haslar. But to tell more I had better move to Chit Chat but even then it is off topic WRT WW1. ;)

Any idea where old man Swettenham came from - there's a village not far away of the same name?

John

The two well-known Swettenhams, Alexander, and his younger brother Frank, were both born in Belper where their father was a solicitor, but thanks to the wonders of the Internet it seems that their family line can be traced back to the thirteenth century in Somerford Booths - so just where you mean, I think.

Petrol Pigeon

Are you suggesting that the nurse was not alone in the sluice at the time, or did she, perhaps, merely have her foot caught in a urinal [very noisy indeed]. :o

Answers in plain brown envelope to the address on the packet...

Sue

It wasn't me!!!! Honest!!!!

• Admin
And although not named on the image, I believe the woman on the Prince's left to be Lady Rosemary Leveson-Gower, daughter of the Duchess of Sutherland.

Sue

Lady Rosemary is the young gel with her hand showing the 4 fingers. She was at one time rumoured to be the choice of bride for Pragger Wagger