Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for the men?

Sue Light

As I found myself getting a bit fed up recently with the constant droning on about blonde women of indeterminate age and dubious talents, I thought I'd offer a WW1 woman for your approval :rolleyes:, or not :( . I'm not sure what [other than the aforementioned] might appeal to the men of the Forum, but this seems to be a woman of exceptional good looks.

She is Lady Mary Swettenham, wife of Sir J. Alexander Swettenham, eldest daughter of Richard Pirie Copeland, and grandaughter of William Copeland, the manufacturer of Spode/Copeland china. Born in 1876, she was destined to be an organiser from an early age, being named as 'Head of Household' in the 1881 census, and at the age of 5 firmly in charge of her younger sister Henrietta, and six servants. She married a man more than old enough to be her father, but he probably had benefits other than youth, and he was Colonial Secretary in Singapore, and then Govenor of British Guyana and Jamaica before the War. She worked in France for long periods during the Great War managing hospital and ambulance units - she died in 1953.

Sue

I agree, she's a fine looking woman. And yes, the nurse's uniform adds to the effect, but then that's no bad thing - it must have helped many a soldier to be attended to by such an agreeable apparition. And with all the places that her husband was posted, she must have had many interesting tales to tell. Blondes of dubious nature wouldn't be any competition for this lady.

Add these tthese together, Rich father, good looks, nurses uniform and hanging around with soldiers she'd do for me.

She looks a bit like Nurse Fletcher-Brown from Blackadder :D

Or is it just me... :D

You got the boys interest there with that pic Sue.

Even I would say she is pretty but has very sad eyes!

Mandy

Thanks Sue - a beautifully-lit portrait, with a wonderful 'gazing into the middle distance' expression that says 'if you could only see the things I've seen'.

Here's one of Captain Oates, which I think has the same qualities.

post-11021-1146211709.jpg

She isnt unattractive but neither does she look the happy smiling kind of woman that frequent this Forum!

I didn't realise my webcam was on ;)

Good job mine isn't on Myrtle! I would scare them all away!!

Mandy

I can't think of anything else to add to this thread that isn't rude or sexist or maybe both so I shall refrain :D

I wonder if others can show the same restraint? But I like the examples of "Phwoar!" from the OED :lol:

Roger.

She is Lady Mary Swettenham, wife of Sir J. Alexander Swettenham, eldest daughter of Richard Pirie Copeland, and grandaughter of William Copeland, the manufacturer of Spode/Copeland china. Born in 1876, she was destined to be an organiser from an early age, being named as 'Head of Sue ...

She is certainly a fine looking woman, one with a look of the self assurance that is doubtless a product of her background and experience.

A woman unlikely to suffer fools gladly I would think but one who would demonstrate intense loyalty for those who deserved it.

Here's one of Captain Oates, which I think has the same qualities.

Not without the Nurses Uniform he doesn't!!! :blink::P

I suspect the misses below would compare favourably with the dizzy Blondes & Brunettes of Today!! {& not a Silicone implant or Collagen injection in sight.....!!}

{Oooh those ankles!!!!} :o

I have always fallen for petit brunettes. Funny that I am now very happily married to a blonde who is 3 inches taller than me :lol: !!!

Sue a serene beauty who has clearly "seen a lot" she is hauntingly attractive. As for the guy in the polar neck sweater he does nothing for me at all :P:lol:

Paul.

I have a cunning plan........................ :blink:

Watched it again this week, so funny.

boom, boom, boom

Has that young lady, Maie Ash, above, got a see through dress on? I`m sure I can see a stocking top and suspender. Oooer, screens please, nurse. :unsure: Phil B

Has that young lady, Maie Ash, above, got a see through dress on? I`m sure I can see a stocking top and suspender.

You could be right, Phil. Poor lass obviously forgot her underskirt. Honestly, she'll catch her death. Must've been the excitement of showing off her new shoes. Very smart they are too.

Gary

Dream on chaps - just thought I'd remind you that the nurses are likely to view you rather differently from how you view them - have you never heard all the raucous laughter coming from the sluice? :lol:

And I notice that the 'blonde' fans seem to have absented themselves from this thread - is that something to do with them failing to recognise a grown-up woman when they see one?

There are a few other notable 'beauties' who served during the Great War. The Duchess of Sutherland and her daughter Rosemary Leveson-Gower turned more than a few heads, although I can't find any pictures at present that do them justice, and I've had one off-list vote for Lady Dorothy Feilding from someone who prefers to remain anonymous rather than ruin his reputation!

And Oates... very Indiana Jones, but perhaps spoilt by the revelations about his slightly suspect past [allegedly]...

Sue

Cheers Gary I needed that. it's what six months of the year at sea does to you. I might have to take Sue's pin ups with me this time away :D

Roger.