Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major John Simeon WARD - PPCLI

Borden Battery

Detective Work required from the "Scotland Yard" arm of the GWF.

A film company in Canada is trying to make contact with any descendants of one Captain / Major John Simeon WARD of the PPCLI (Tapestry of War indicated he was a Captain, however the CWGC gives the rank as Major).

Captain Simeon Ward was killed in action March 17, 1915 at the age of 38 years.

He was born in England and moved to the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada to become a fruit farmer and later joined the PPCLI. Formerly he was with the British Army in India.

Can anyone offer up some geneological - military history comments and leads to track down some of his living descendents? As I understand, the film company wants to either confirm some details for their film and/or engage a living descendant in the film.

Regards

Borden Battery

PS For anyone other than a WARD who can offer up some useful information, I will put in a good word for you and act as your agent for a small cameo part. ;)

Here is the website associated with the proposed film on the Canadian Corp and the search for family associated with Captain Ward.

Borden Battery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CBC Great War Re-Enactment Movie Website Jan 2005

A dedicated website from CBC Television and Galafilms, it is part of their project to select descendents of Canadian Expeditionary Force soldiers for a major re-enactment film in the summer of 2006. The website includes general background information, information updates, biographies of selected participants and a small discussion forum.

http://www.greatwar.ca/en/newsfromthefront.html

BB

While I can't point you directly at a living relative, I can give you some genealogical information which I would assume could be developed and pursued by the film company researchers, who have more time and resources than I do. See what you think.

John Simeon Ward, who we are querying, was the son of Richard Ward (b. 1849, Gloucestershire) and Louisa Edith Simeon (b. 1844, Geneva, d. 1895, Kensington).

Louisa Simeon, daughter of Sir John Simeon and Jane Maria Baker, had a brother Sir Edmund Charles Simeon (1855 - 1915), and in 1883 he married Laura Jane Westropp-Dawson, daughter of Captain Walter Westropp-Dawson (who I know has been mentioned before on the forum).

They had a son, and therefore a first cousin to JOHN SIMEON WARD, Sir John Walter Barrington Simeon (1886-1957), who in 1909 married Adelaide Emily Holmes A'Court.

They in turn had a son John Edmund Barrington Simeon (1911 -1999), who married Anne Robina Mary Dean, but that's as far as I can get it, I'm afraid.

Hope this is of some use.

Looks like Sir John Simeon and Anne Dean had a son, Richard Edmund Barrington Simeon, born 2nd March 1943.

He would be the first cousin twice removed of John Simeon Ward. From what I can see, he is still alive.....and is a professor of political science and law at Toronto University.

Hello Steven and Mytle

Excellent work and your information puts you in "First Place" and ahead on us Canadians and a Kiwi.

Borden Battery

Thanks very much, folk. You certainly do work fast. I would be very grateful for sources for the information provided, in particular the photo of Richard Edmund Barrington Simeon.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne

Tauranga, New Zealand

Thanks very much, folk. You certainly do work fast. I would be very grateful for sources for the information provided, in particular the photo of Richard Edmund Barrington Simeon.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne

Tauranga, New Zealand

Photograph Source

• 6 years later...
Guest joannavoke

Hi,
six years on this is probably of no interest any more but my pre-married name was Joanna S. Ward my father was John Simeon Ward (born in July 1915) he was a Major during the 2nd WW, youngest son of Major John Simeon Ward. My father was one of three children and I am one of five. I have three children and 5 nieces and nephews. My fathers older brother lived in Zimbabwe and I think had two children, his sister Diana, had two children. None of Grandfather's children are still alive but five grandchildren, as far as I know, are still living.
Regards,
Joanna