Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When people vanish

Old Chap

My mum's brother literally vanished after the Second World War. He walked out one day and never came back. That was until 1958 when he turned up at my mum's house. Once again John Quinn (if anyone is interested in the Royal Irish Rifles or has a copy of James Taylor's 2nd.Royal Irish Rifles book, there's a photo of his father, Rfm.John Quinn and a write up on p.345) vanished. The family heard a rumour he was working in London on the railways. However, John Quinn did visit Liverpool on one more occassion, he returned to the road he was born and asked a neighbour about his mother and then vanished forever. I tried on many occassions to trace John (as my mother is the last family member alive and in poor health) but without any success. Yesterday i subscribed to acertain web site to check the 1841 census and decided to check the on line deaths for yes, John Quinn. There he was, died April 2003, Camden. I have mailed the local newspaper to see if they will run a little story as i would like to know if John married and if so are there any children?

John was born 19/3/21 in Kingswood Avenue, Aintree. He served in the Second World War in Africa (so i was told). My mum always said he returned with possible shell shock. Whatever the reason i sadly never knew him. John's uncle, 25109 who lived in the same street, 25109 Pte.Alfred TATTERSALL, was killed in action in the Great War. My nan never mentioned either of them, obviously the pain must have been too great.

Bill

ps John Quinn snr. is the chap standing in my photo