Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gt grandads medals

Graeme Heavey

Can pals please help me? I think I am going to drive myself insane. I am becoming increasingly obsessed with trying to locate my gt grandads medals, they being 1914 star and bar, War and Victory.

What, in reality, are the chances of ever getting them? Family rumour is that he pawned them for food money in the 30's. Would they have been destroyed?

Has anyone ever succeeded in getting a relatives medals tracked down?

You see where I'm going here-the loony bin!!!

Hello

Not impossible, I have reunited medals so you can find things that have become seperated

More chance than winning the lottery..

Good luck

Ian

Hi Ian.

He is S/6611 Pte Bernard Heavey 4th Royal Fusiliers, he also got a SWB number 143279. He was discharged wounds March 1917 but re-enlisted in September 1918 into the RASC. Would his medals be inscribed with his $RF details or his RASC details?

Its niggling isnt it?

I think they would be the Royal Fusileers , it of cource is possible that since he was discharged rather than transfered he may also have got a pair with the RASC if he qualified. These of course should have been returned. As for finding them ,needles in Haystacks but if you dont try you certainly wont. Prehaps they are sitting in an office desk somewhere waiting for some kind hearted person to return them to their rightful owners. No that could never happen could it? Gareth

Hello

Yes I realised who he was as it says at the bottom of the page! :rolleyes:

There are some a amazing stories on the forum of finding medals and information purely by chance

At least the medals are known to have been around -Mrs Coldstreamers g dad died in ww1 and his medals went straight into the bin when they arrived - yet the plaque and scroll have been cherished ever since. Well except when some one cromed the plaque!

Ian

Three reunites and counting Gareth!

Ian I suppose that happened a lot and still does. My grandad George never claimed his medals from WW2 after he was forced to beg for a council move from London to Dagenham because my youngest uncle had breathing problems as a baby. The council man asked him why he thought he was owed anything-how I would've loved to of seen the b******s face when Grandad said he'd spent 3 years in Changhi at the hands of the Japs! They moved a year later!

I've put my request on medaltracker.com and have posted on the forum about it but am unsure where to go next. He doesnt appear to have an RASC mic. His RASC number is T/439677.

Three reunites and counting Gareth!

Ian I suppose that happened a lot and still does. My grandad George never claimed his medals from WW2 after he was forced to beg for a council move from London to Dagenham because my youngest uncle had breathing problems as a baby. The council man asked him why he thought he was owed anything-how I would've loved to of seen the b******s face when Grandad said he'd spent 3 years in Changhi at the hands of the Japs! They moved a year later!

I've put my request on medaltracker.com and have posted on the forum about it but am unsure where to go next. He doesnt appear to have an RASC mic. His RASC number is T/439677.

Hi Graeme, I didnt realise you had some success thats brilliant and one in the eye for the doubters! I hope you have luck in your search, I got close with a right surname right regiment but not my granddad,but Im still trying. Gareth

More chance than winning the lottery..

With just 378,000 1914 Stars awarded there is probably a bit better chance of finding it than winning the Lottery Jackpot.{1 in 378000??,as opposed to one in God knows how many!!}

As the Medals were pawned {If in fact that is actually what happened}it is likely that once they had not been redeemed they would probably have been sold {Pawnbrokers were renowned by Collectors as a source,having Drawers of Medals for sale @ 2/6d a go!}so there is always a possibility that one day they may come onto the Market{as unlike Lottery Ticket number they actually existed @ some time & are not random}The fact you have to come to terms with is that some 80 odd years has elapsed since their issue,A World War has taken place,in which much material was destroyed,there has been @ least one serious Silver Boom,in all that time Medals have been Bought,Sold,Collected & even binned,so it is purely an act of faith that they might turn up,like Coldstream I have been fortunate in Re~Uniting a few "broken" Groups,often from different ends of the country,where one or more Medals has been disposed of seperately from the other{s} so there is always hope,& Medal Groups I thought I'd missed out on forever have found their way to me,so dont despair get on with enjoying life,if its meant to be it will happen!

hello

thanks for the stats - much better than the lottery eh ?

Seems you have all the bases covered so far with regard to finding the medals

you could also try in medal news magazine

Keep on plugging away..

Ian

Can pals please help me? I think I am going to drive myself insane. I am becoming increasingly obsessed with trying to locate my gt grandads medals, they being 1914 star and bar, War and Victory.

Graeme, good luck in your search. Very hard to do but not of course impossible.Finding them first and then getting the " owner " to part with them are two tasks.

I am lucky in that my GGF`s pair are in the family but would feel the same as you if they were not.

Regards,

Roland. :)

Thanks troops. The only avenue I have come up with since yesterday is the possibility that my Grandad's two sisters families may have some more clues. God knows where they are living at the moment. I'll get on to it today.

My aim is to give them to my dad (if possible) before he decides he's going off somewhere ( if you catch my drift ), which he isnt at the moment I hasten to add!!!

If I did win the lottery, a huge reward would be up for the person who found them I can tell you!!

If I did win the lottery, a huge reward would be up for the person who found them I can tell you!!

Trust me they`d soon turn up then.. :lol:

Roland.