The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14 Bn Royal Irish Rifles

Lynn54

Hi, Anyone out there have any information about the 14th Bn RIR, my great great uncle Sgt J McGinty No: I/41099 was killed on 20/06/1917 and is buried at Messines, I know they were in the Somme but having trouble filling in gaps!!! Thanks

14th R Ir Rifles were 'The Young Citizen Volunteers' of Belfast (and surrounding districts).

Also known as the 'Chocolate Soldiers' because they came from 'well to do' homes .. i.e. they were apprentices, clerks, young managers etc.

Fought at Schwaben redoubt on July 1 . Billy McFadzean VC was a member.

More later.

I had posted Jim Maultsaid's YCV diary some time ago .. sadly the images are gone.

Des

PM me with your e-mail address - the files I have are too big.

• 3 years later...
14th R Ir Rifles were 'The Young Citizen Volunteers' of Belfast (and surrounding districts).

Also known as the 'Chocolate Soldiers' because they came from 'well to do' homes .. i.e. they were apprentices, clerks, young managers etc.

Fought at Schwaben redoubt on July 1 . Billy McFadzean VC was a member.

More later.

I had posted Jim Maultsaid's YCV diary some time ago .. sadly the images are gone.

Des

Dear Des

My great-uncle was a lance-corporal in the 14th Battalion RIR - he was wounded at the Somme and killed at Passchendaele. I would be very interested to read any files you have on the 14th (e.g. the diary you mention).

With many thanks

Sheena

Sheena - sadly my scanner is banjaxed so can't post the images. Maybe someone else from NI may have copies?

Des

Sgt J McGinty is burried in Messines Ridge Milatary cemetery. I had a photo of his grave but it was lost when my computer was repaired. Sorry.

I do not know if you already have it but here is his medal index card,

Regards,

Phil

post-43363-1251533290.jpg