Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gateshead East Cemetery

Andrew P

In my research on Fremantle people on WW1 I have found information on a Richard William Leonard who served in the Merchant Navy. He was the 4th Engineer on the ships Thistleban & Thistleard and was on both these ships when they were sunk but was rescued from both.

Soon after his last rescuing he was struck down with with Erysipilas? & Dysentry in July 1917 and shortly after died.

He is not listed on the CWGC site but I have found that he was buried in Gateshead East Cemetery.

I'm hoping that he may be eligible for listing on the CWGC site, but I do not have his grave plot number. Is there a search site for civilian burials in England?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

From the details you give, he would not qualify for CWGC listing.

Members of the Mercantile Marine only qualified for war grave status and CWGC listing if they died on duty and of a war related cause. From your description, his case would fail on both these points.

Okay, thanks for the response Terry. I had thought that as he died from the effects of the sinking that he would qualify for CWGC status. Seems a pity that he doesn't.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

If he died as a result of ships being sunk by enemy action, he would qualify. However, you would have to prove that his death was a result of this.

I can't see this being the case from the two illnesses you mention above.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would get hold of his death certificate and then search the papers for a story on his death and or the circumstances of the sinking.

If he died soon after the sinking there is a GOOD chance his death might be attributable to war service. I recently had 2 men approved who died of heart disease!!!!

Oh yes, don't forget that the medical profession of the day was not advanced like today. It is a possibility that the authorities now might now consider his death to be attributable.

If you don't have time or the inclination to do this then I would be happy to help.

Regards to all

Neil

Neil

Don't get confused.

This man was in the Mercantile Marine and, as such, different rules apply. This is not as straightforward as a military man.

His death would have to have been the result of a war cause whilst on duty. The two diseases listed above would seem to have been unlikely to have been caused by this.

Thanks for the offer Neil but from what Terry is saying it doesn't sound to hopeful. I am hoping to track down surviving family to see what extra details they might have.

I will still be including him in my Fremantle list so is there anyway I can find out his plot number in Gateshead. Is there any civilian burial database accessible on the internet?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

I haven't come across online listings for civilian cemeteries but the local authorities are usually very helpful and send out maps and locations of particular graves on request. I suggest that you contact:

www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk

Gateshead East cemetery is on their list.

Myrtle