Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died,

Tony Lund

I believe that Soldiers Died names some men with a Huddersfield connection as KIA in Germany. I assume that must mean Germany as it was before the Treaty of Versailles. If it is possible to search for this I would be interested to know if anything comes up.

Thanks,

Tony.

Hello

not that I know of - you just get France and Flanders

got any examples and I ll look for you ?

Ian

Maybe this is just a mistake:

1st 5th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.

Farrar, James Ernest. Enlisted Huddersfield. (Lockwood, Yorks.) 203680 Pte. KIA Germany. 20/3/17.

49th Division, I don’t know where they were at the time.

I have a feeling there are more but I have no definite information, I was hoping a search for Kia in Germany might be possible.

Thanks,

Tony.

Guest geoff501
I believe that Soldiers Died names some men with a Huddersfield connection as KIA in Germany. I assume that must mean Germany as it was before the Treaty of Versailles. If it is possible to search for this I would be interested to know if anything comes up.

Thanks,

Tony.

There are a few in Cologne Southern Cemetery. Looks like this fellow below may be one of those you're looking for. Probably not in SDGW, due to the date. I suspect influenza may be a possible death, but could also be accidental death. There are also (according to CWGC Cemetery reports, the relevant page will tell you) burials of POWs who died during captivity.

Per CWGC:

Name: MULLARKEY

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 12/02/1919

Service No: 31790

Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mullarkey, of 27, Hawk St., Huddersfield.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 18.

Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

Hello

not that I know of - you just get France and Flanders

got any examples and I ll look for you ?

Ian

Only one man who enlisted in Huddersfield but was resident in Lockwood KIA in Germany 20/3/17 a Pte James Ernest Farrar.On Soldiers died 3 men KIA in Germany. One from Surrey and one from Exeter

Burnsey

Tony - Soldiers Died lists over 550 soldiers who died in Germany and almost all of them are listed as having "Died" or "Died of Wounds" - which makes sense.

However there are three soldiers listed as having been Killed in Action in Germany. One is Pte Farrar, the second is Sgt Humphreys also of the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment but 2nd Battalion (17.05.17) and the third is P/L/Bdr. H. Page, Royal Artillery 05.09.18. Neither of the other two men has any Huddersfield connection listed.

I'm sure these must just be errors.

Tom

Thanks everyone, it seems a mistake is the most likely explanation.

I had been wondering if it might just be possible that there were local men in action over the German border in the French section of the line.

No doubt I will have seen the Sergeant Humphreys entry at some point in the Duke of Wellington's volume, I thought there was more than just one!

Tony.

if he was a POW and killed by british artillery fire on german soil,would that count as KIA germany,just a thought,bernard

Hello

I recall seeing a medal to a Grenadier (?) Guardsman killed by a bomb dropped whilst he was a POW in Germany

But was this killed in action ? More likely be recorded as died or died of wounds.

Ian

At one time I owned the BWM/VICTY to Pte. FARRAR. I sent for the Bn. War Diary for the date he was kia "in Germany". The WD told the story. He was part of a patrol after dark that ran into a German patrol. There was a fight & he was killed & his body was not recovered. So it would appear that for some reason this unit at the time considered "No Man's Land" or part of it to be "Germany". His body was apparently never identified as he is listed on the LOOS MEMORIAL. So for this man at least, he was nowhere near Germany when he was killed in action. Why they chose to list him as such will most likley remain a mystery at this point in time.

So for this man at least, he was nowhere near Germany when he was killed in action.

Thank you, all fascinating stuff.

Tony.

Guest geoff501
SDGW lists 568 men who died in Germany as a "Theatre of War", 3 of them as "Killed in Action".

Just by coincidence, while browsing The Times archive today (July 30th 1917 issue), I found one officer listed as 'Killed' in Hanover. Captain WG Morritt, 1st East Surreys, was shot and killed instantly on attempting to escape from captivity 27th June 1917. He had been a POW since 1914.