Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Page Letley

Jen

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I'm researching Charles Page (Bottle) Letley. I know he was in 63rd Field Co, Royal Engineers Driver 38864 and he's buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cementery. He was born in 1886 in Strood Kent. Son of William and Elizabeth Letley. It sounds like everybody in this forum knows what they are talking about and it goes straight over my head as I'm new to this.

Jen - Have you tried the Public Records Office at Kew? The least you'll find there will be the man's Medal Index Card.

If you try Chris' main site at www.1914-1918.net you will find some tips etc.

To be buried at Lijessenthoek he probably died of wounds - in which case it was almost certainly in No 10 Casualty Clearing Station (otherwise known as Remi or Remy Sidings).

Sadly no admission books survice for this CCS, but the buildings which formed part of it are still there - at the rear of the cemetery.

Thanks for your replies.

Lee, unfortunately I can't get to Kew.

Paul, thanks very much for the info, do you know if there is anywhere on the net that I can see a photo of the grave?

Jen, if on the wants, swaps etc. part of this forum you ask for a photo someone will take it for you, this is the second largest CWGC Cemetery there and gets lots of visits.