Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDICAL OFFICERS CASUALTIES & AWARDS

petestarling

How you doing, Pete?

I'm seeking detail of Lt (TP) James Richardson Spensley, attached 8 East Kents, DoW on 10 Nov 15 as a PoW. I presume he was probably a Loos casualty (I've started a thread elsewhere to see if any Buffs buffs can help).

But what is interesting is to google this chap's name and see the Wickipedia entry!!!

I'm looking this up on behalf of a woman in Winnipeg who has given me detail on my house and hamlet, including a tithe map, from 1841. Her detail about this ancestor are out of synch with CWGC, details of which I've already sent her.

Off to Somme this weekend with some Scottish infantrymen.

Must get together soon.

Love (as ever) to your wonderful wife :D

Chris

• 3 months later...

Can I take up your kind offer please?

Wonder if you have anything on Major Reginald Carlyon TWEEDY, RAMC, who died at Newquay 12th July 1917. I do have quite a lot on him already as he was our local GP in Kenilworth. What I'm really looking for is a photograph - did they ever have any in the BMJ?

Sue

I have just about every page of the Lancet and British Medical Journal for WW1 with Medical Officer occurances. It list casualties and Honours & Awards and in the case of casualties in many cases gives an obituary. There are also some citations given. What I have not done yet is indexed it because it is a large file.

If you have a date I am willing to look up the issue and see if I can find anything.

Pete Starling

Hello Pete

Have you time to look up the following man please.

Captain Wilfrid H Hensley 6th Somerset Light Infantry

Wounded in Action 9th April 1917 Arras

Killed in Action 21st March 1918 Moy St Quentin

Thanks for your time

Clare

I have just about every page of the Lancet and British Medical Journal for WW1 with Medical Officer occurances. It list casualties and Honours & Awards and in the case of casualties in many cases gives an obituary. There are also some citations given. What I have not done yet is indexed it because it is a large file.

If you have a date I am willing to look up the issue and see if I can find anything.

Pete Starling

Hello Pete

Have you time to look up the following man please.

Captain Wilfrid H Hensley 6th Somerset Light Infantry

Wounded in Action 9th April 1917 Arras

Killed in Action 21st March 1918 Moy St Quentin

Thanks for your time

Clare

Sue

The Lancet & BMJ did publsh photographs of the war dead but not one for Tweedy. There are just a few lines mostly about his civilian practice.

Pete

Clare

I am a bit confused. Was he SLI or RAMC attached to SLI? I only have RAMC.

Pete

Clare

I am a bit confused. Was he SLI or RAMC attached to SLI? I only have RAMC.

Pete

Ooops! Sorry Pete. Must have mis-read your original post.

Clare :blink:

Pete

Do you mind looking to see if you have the following two officers?

Capt E.W.Carrington MC RAMC attd 2nd Btn Worcesters Killed in action 27th Sept 1915

Col C Stonham CMG RAMC Died in England 31st Jan 1916

Thanks Hambo

Hambo

Edward Worrell Carrington was the youngest son of the late Sir WJ Carrington of Avenue House Reading. He was educated at marlborough, at Keble College Oxford and at Kings College London and took Diplomas of MRCS and LRCP in 1913. He joined the RAMC as a Temp Lieutenant on 10th August 1914 and was sent to the front soon after and was attached to 2nd Bn Worcester Regt for over a year. In Feb 1915 he was awarded a MC.

Only a brief mention that Stonham had died.

Pete

• 3 months later...

Pete Starling

Dear Pete

You're wonderful! Any chance you could look up Dr Martin Ricono for me? He died in March 1917 at Etaples. Italian but lived in South Africa and went to France with the South African Labour Corps.

Yours in hope

Rowland

• 7 months later...

Pete Starling

Hi Pete

Wonder if you would look for a Marwood Mintern Munden please. Family story is that he was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre for evacuating civilians under shellfire. But I can't find any Medal Card for him at the NA; no details in the London Gazette; no papers in the Burnt records. Army List says he was a Temp Lt from 12Feb1918 and was still in the Army in the Jan1919 list - though I don't know when he was demobbed.

Is there a record to confirm the story, please?

Thanks

James

• 3 weeks later...

James

First of all I must apologise for not getting back to you sooner. Various excuses.

I can only look for an award if I have a rough date of the award. They appeared in the medical press soon after they were announced.

Pete

Hi Pete

No probs about delays - I'm the same: when it comes to balancing work with play, it's often the play that gets put off until later. :(

I'm sorry, but I have no idea of dates - other than it was probably during 1918. The batallion history suggests that it was most likely to have been sometime in April that he took the action which led to the award - though it might have been in September or October - or even sometime during 1917.

But thanks for the offer anyway - nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Cheers

James

• 9 months later...

Good evening Pete,

Can you look up cpl Henry Thomas Powell Lilliman. He was in the 3rd east Anglian field ambulance and lost an eye in Palestine. I do kno that he was a male nurse previous to the war....

Karen

Pete Starling

Sorry Peter I left of the date, December 1917....

Karen

Good evening Pete,

Can you look up cpl Henry Thomas Powell Lilliman. He was in the 3rd east Anglian field ambulance and lost an eye in Palestine. I do kno that he was a male nurse previous to the war....

Karen

Hi Peter

This is a long shot, but would you please have a look in your treasure chest of WW1 related medical information to see if you have any information on:

ALEXANDER GRAY

He was in the RNVR but served with the Navy and was listed on the 1918 Navy list

His rank was Sub-Leut Surgeon, listed as temp sub-leut in the Navy list and his medals are impressed as sub-leut

This is all the information I have, and I'd be gratefull for anything you can come up with

Many thanks

Dianne

• 11 months later...

Pete,

Would you have anything on a Captain Horace Dorset ECCLES, RAMC attached to 13th Royal Irish Rifles, died 16/08/1917, commerated on War Memorial Guys Hospital. Mentioned in Dispatches.

Also a Lieutenant Andrew Rowan Hamilton, RAMC attached 13th Royal Irish Rifles. Who survived and is noted in the Roll of Service of Edinburgh University.

• 4 months later...

Hello Pete

I'm not sure if you are still active on the GWF. If you are, please would you by any chance have anything on Dr Lance Lempriere RAMC? (There is a grave accent on the third 'e'.) Pre 1914 he was the doctor at Haileybury College, Hertfordshire, and I believe became RMO of an infantry battalion. However, his military service is proving somehwt elusive. I'd like to track down his battalion if possible.

regards

Charles