Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDICAL OFFICERS CASUALTIES & AWARDS

petestarling

Chris

I have found the following for Roberts.

Educated at Birmingham where he was an Ingleby scholar and in 1906 a Queen's scholar and also was at the London Hospital. Qualified MB ChB Birmingham in 1906 and MRCS and LRCP in 1912.

Held appointments as clinical assistant at the Brompton Hospital and City of London Hospital and as medical officer to West Ham Town Counciul industrial school and medical officer of health for Ongar. Was the Tuberculosis officer for Essex County Council.

He married in 1907 the only daughter of Mr SH Cobb of Newport and left a widow and two children.

Member of 3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance and attained the rank of Captain on 1st May 1914.

There is a photograph with the obit.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Nothing as yet but do you have a London Gazette date for the DSC which may narrow the entry down a bit.

Pete

Pete, Surgeon HB Parker DSC - 4th Supp. London Gazette, 21 June 1918, page 7304 "in recognition of exceptionally good work done by him as Medical Officer of the Nelson Battalion, Royal Naval Division in Gallipoli". A very late award, two and half years after the event.

All that was published in the Lancet was the citation, which you already have.

Pete

Chris

I have found the following for Roberts.

Educated at Birmingham where he was an Ingleby scholar and in 1906 a Queen's scholar and also was at the London Hospital. Qualified MB ChB Birmingham in 1906 and MRCS and LRCP in 1912.

Held appointments as clinical assistant at the Brompton Hospital and City of London Hospital and as medical officer to West Ham Town Counciul industrial school and medical officer of health for Ongar. Was the Tuberculosis officer for Essex County Council.

He married in 1907 the only daughter of Mr SH Cobb of Newport and left a widow and two children.

Member of 3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance and attained the rank of Captain on 1st May 1914.

There is a photograph with the obit.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Roberts_WRS.jpg

Peter

Thanks for the info & I thought you would like to see his memorial plaque which is in St Nicolas Parish Church, Newport, Shropshire.

The inscription reads:

TO THE DEAR MEMORY

OF MY HUSBAND

WALTER ROWLAND S ROBERTS MB

CAPTAIN OF THE ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS

KILLED IN ACTION AT THE DARDANELLES

ON AUGUST 16TH 1915 AGED 33 YEARS

HE LOVED DUTY MORE THAN HE FEARED DEATH

All The Best

Chris

Peter

Any chance of the photo from the obit please

Chris

Chris

Of course but it will have to be when I go back to work next week.

Can you pm your address again please.

Pete

Chris

If this is not good enough quality pm me your postal address again and I will photocopy the page and send to you.

Pete

Chris

If this is not good enough quality pm me your postal address again and I will photocopy the page and send to you.

Pete

Chris

Pete

Chris

Pete

Pete

is there supposed to be something here?

Chris

Chris

There should have been an attachment. I will try again.

Pete

Pete:

Thank your for your kindness in extending this offer. Would you have anything on these 2 officers:

Name: TAYLOR, DAVID ROBERT

Initials: D R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Secondary Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 1st/4th

Date of Death: 14/07/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

and

Name: BROWNLIE

Initials: W

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Secondary Regiment: Yorkshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/03/1918

Awards: MC

Additional information: Brother of John D. Brownlie, of 117, Wool Exchange, London, E.C.2.

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 7.

Cemetery: HENINEL-CROISILLES ROAD CEMETERY

Thanks so much,

Chris

Peter

re Roberts thanks for the photocopy

will get on with your list today

Chris

Chris

Nothing on Taylor.

Brownlie has the following:

Captain William Brownlie was killed in action on March 25th. He was the youngest son of Mr William Brownlie of Invercargill, New Zealand, was educated at the Universities of New Zealand and Edinburgh graduating MA ans BSc at the former and MB and ChB at the latter. He held a temporary commission in the RAMC.

I will try to trace his MC and see if there was a notification.

Pete

Pete

anything on this chap please

Name: MANDERS, NEVILLE

Initials: N

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Unit Text: D.D.M.S.(Anzac) Army Medical Staff.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Additional information: Son of Maj. T. Manders, late 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers); husband of Mrs. M. B. Knapp (formerly Manders), of 77, Fellows Rd., Hampstead, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. 20.

Cemetery: NEW ZEALAND No.2 OUTPOST CEMETERY

Chris

Chris

I have found his service record which is two A3 pages. You are welcome to have them. Not much in the BMJ or Lancet, just notification of his death.

Pete

Pete

would be very pleased to see them - my thanks

Would you like a photo of his grave

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

do you have anything on this chap please

Name: ROBERTSON

Initials: J N

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Blake."

Date of Death: 22/12/1914

Grave/Memorial Reference: Church P. 19. 17.

Cemetery: FORD PARK CEMETERY (FORMERLY PLYMOUTH OLD CEMETERY) (PENNYCOMEQUICK)

All The Best

Chris

Steve

I have seen these before and wrote to the museum after hearing that they were in a cupboard, in the hope that they might transfer to the AMS museum but no joy.

Pete

Pete,

I'd also be very interested in whatever information you have on Colonel Manders, as he was serving with the New Zealand and Australian Division at the time of his death, and therefore of interest in my research into the Anzac officers who died at Gallipoli.

post-854-1156562778.jpg

post-854-1156563635.jpg

Colonel N. Manders

The information I have on him so far is:

MANDERS, Colonel Neville, A.D.M.S. to the New Zealand and Australian Division; Mentioned in Despatches. Egypt Medal & Bar, Khedives Star. India General Service Medal & 2 Bars.

Born Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, 12 Dec 1859.

Educated Marlborough College.

Married Maude Braybrooke VANE in Colombo, 1900.

Doctor, of London.

Wife's address 'Glenthorne', Dorset Road, Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex, England.

Killed in action at Godley's HQ, No. 3 outpost, Anzac, 9 Aug 1915.

Chief Medical Officer.

CWGC lists NOK as:

Father; Maj. T. Manders, late 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers).

Wife; Mrs M.B. Knapp (formerly Manders), of 77, Fellows Road, Hampstead, London.

Was stationed at Colombo, Ceylon as a Lieut. Colonel, Royal Army Medical Corps (1910).

Daughter; Ilsia Manders.

Was a keen zoologist, with several species of butterflies named after him. These were donated to museums on his death.

Information taken from Col. Manders's will (Probate London, 8th December 1915).

'... served in the 1885 Suakin Expedition (Egypt Medal & Bar, and Khedives Star), and in Burma 1887 - 89 (India General Service Medal and two Bars) where he had been severely wounded.' (Haigh, NZ officers died p20).

Landed at Anzac Cove 25th April 1915 (refer to article 'Reminiscences of Anzac' by Col. P.C. Fenwick, NZEF).

Youngest son of the late Major Thomas Manders, 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabineers), afterwards Adjutant, P.W.O., Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, and Catherine Manders, daughter of John Hacking. Born Marlborough, Wiltshire, 12 December 1859. Educated at Marlborough College and after qualifying (with honours) as L.R.C.P. (London) and M.R.C.S. (England), entered the Army Medical Service as a Surgeon on 2 August 1884. Gazetted Major, RAMC, 2 August 1896, promoted Lieutenant Colonel 2 August 1904, and Colonel 21 December 1910.

Served in the Suakim Campaign, 1885 (medal with clasp, Khedive's Bronze Star), and with the Burmese Expedition of 1887-89, in which he was severely wounded (medal with two clasps). Was Senior Medical Officer, Ceylon, 1908 to 1911, and at the Curragh. 1912 to December 1913, and was appointed Deputy Director of the Medical Service in Egypt, 21 December 1913, a position which he retained until January 1915, when he was, by special request, attached to the Headquarters Staff of the Australian and New Zealand Forces as A.D.M.S., going with them to the Dardanelles in April, 1915.

He was killed in action at Anzac, Gallipoli, 9 August 1915, during the attack on Sari Bair, and was buried on the beach at No. 3 Post.

General Sir Alexander Godley, General Officer Commanding, New Zealand and Australian Division, wrote: 'He had endeared himself to us all, and had so thoroughly identified himself with this force and had been such a help to us, that that his loss will be irreparable. I can hardly say how much I shall miss him and all the help he gave me. He was killed while making plans for the relief of the wounded, on the field in the execution of his duty, and I only hope that it might be some slight consolation to you to know this, and to know how highly we all thought of him, and how much we shall miss him both as a Staff Officer and a comrade. '

Colonel Manders was a prominent Entomologist, having done much research work in that branch of science. He was a Fellow of the Entomological Society, and a Fellow of the Zoological Society, and the Bombay Natural History Society.

He married at St. Michael's, Colombo, Ceylon 15 September 1900, Maud Braybrooke (Glenthorne, Dorset Road, Bexhill-on-Sea), only child of Frederick William Vane, I.S.O., Ceylon C.S. (retired), and of Louisa Frances, his wife, and had a daughter, Una Jim Chester, born 1 November 1901.' (de Ruvigny Volume 1 p243).

On Loan from the RAMC to the NZ & A Division from 13 March 1915. (Studholme p364).

Killed at General Godley's (NZ) HQ:

'Col. Manders had been killed on Aug. 9 by one of the stray bullets which constantly fell at Godley's HQ.' (Bean Vol. 2 p746n).

(Bean Vol. 1 p232, 233, 280n, 563, 566, 568, 569; V2 p746n, mentioned 358, 364n, 717n).

'Col. Neville Manders, A.M.S., A.D.M.S. to the New Zealand and Australian Division, crept out of his bivouac early on this fateful morning only to meet his end. A wandering bullet pierced his head, he fell forward, and when Major Holmes ran to pick him up he was dead! His many years of faithful service ended. Staunch to the last, he had never faltered - even under the galling yoke of Anzac.' (Carbery p94).

'Monday, August 9th, 1915. Bullets came streaming down our valley, and we put up a small wall of sacks, 3 feet high, behind which we slept. I was sitting at breakfast this morning listening to Colonel Manders talking, when suddenly I saw Charlie B. put his hand to his own head and say: 'By G----, he's killed!' Manders fell back dead, with a bullet through his temple, he was a very good fellow.

Came back for Manders' funeral. I was very fond of him. General Godley read a few sentences with the help of my electric torch, which failed. Four others were buried with him. Later I saw a great shell strike the grave. A cemetery, or rather lots, growing up round us. There are dead buried or half buried in every gully.' (Herbert, Mons, Anzac & Kut, page unknown).

'General Cox was wounded at his headquarters. At mine, my old friend of Mafeking days, Lord Charles Bentinck, who had joined my staff and I were sitting together discussing, with our medical officer, Colonel Manders, arrangements for the evacuation of the wounded from the beach. Manders suddenly ceased talking, his head dropped on his shoulder, and, remaining as he did in a sitting position, it was some moments before we realized that a spent bullet had noiselessly struck him on the temple and that he was dead.' (Godley p184).

Photo and biography in de Ruvigny Vol.1 p 243.

Bryn

You provided a lot of information on Col Manders - with your permission can I use the details & photo on the Roll of Honour medical database - I can offer you a picture of his grave at Gallipoli if you would like it

All The Best

Chris