Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDICAL OFFICERS CASUALTIES & AWARDS

petestarling

I have just about every page of the Lancet and British Medical Journal for WW1 with Medical Officer occurances. It list casualties and Honours & Awards and in the case of casualties in many cases gives an obituary. There are also some citations given. What I have not done yet is indexed it because it is a large file.

If you have a date I am willing to look up the issue and see if I can find anything.

Pete Starling

sounds great I'll have something for you tomorrow. Is just a name OK?

Pete,

Any info on these RAMC officers would be much appreciated:

Capt James Matheson

KIA: 30/11/1917

Capt Richard Felton MC

Wounded: 27/07/1916.

MC appeared in Gazette Issue 29793 published on the 20 October 1916

Thanks,

AGWR

Pete,

Very kind offer, is there any mention / obit for Captain Thomas Whittle Martin MC, RAMC attached 11th Royal Scots. KIA 09/04/17. I have this officers file, and details from the regt history, local papers etc but was always curious to know if there was anything in the Lancet.

Many thanks Neil.

Thanks for the offer, do you have anything on this man?

Name: MacLEOD, GEORGE MUNRO

Initials: G M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps

Date of Death: 22/05/1915

Additional information: Son of William and Johanna MacLeod; husband of Dora Campbell MacLeod, of 268, Kenmure St., Pollokshields, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 834.

Cemetery: GLASGOW (RIDDRIE PARK) CEMETERY

Much appreciated.

David

Capt James Matheson was the youngest son of the late William James Matheson of Newton, Novar Rossshire and was educated at the Edinburgh Institution and Glasgow University where he graduated MB and ChB in 1916. Temporary Commission at Lt and promoted to Captain after a year. Served for six months in the Navy, also in Meopotamia and in France. Attached to Middlesex Regt when killed.

Temp Lt Richard Felton.

MC for gallantry and evotion to duty during operations. He tended the wounded during an intense bombardment and a few days later when a shell blew in the orderly room killing three men and burying the remainder he rescued the latter under most dangerous conditions. But for his pluck and devotion to duty many more lives would have been lost.

Pete

Neil

Martin was educated at Victoria University Manchester and qualified as a doctor in 1912. He was in practice in Hale, Cheshire before joining the RAMC.

Pete

[David

I can not find anything on this chap.

Pete

Pete,

Could I please request a look up for Lieut (Later Capt.) Henry Marston Layard Crawford, M.D. He won the Military Cross in Egypt (London Gazette: 15th March 1918)

I have quite a bit of information on him, but would be grateful for any more.

Many thanks

Gavin

Joe

He is listed as died of wounds in the Dardanells. Educated at Belfast and got a BA at Royal University of Ireland in 1909. MB BCh at Belfast 1911. Worked at the Mater Infirmorum Hospital, Belfast. Temp Commission in the RAMC 10 Oct 1914.

Pete

Gavin

It gives the Citation, so if you have not got it let me know and I will add.

Pete

Pete,

I do have a copy of the citation, but thank you very much for taking the time to look him up for me.

Regards

Gavin

Pete,

Can you search for Captain James Davidson RAMC, attached 10th Bn.KRRC kia 30/11/17?

He belonged Turriff in Aberdeenshire.

Thank you.

Derek

Sorry but the pages for late November, early December 17 are missing.

Pete

Pete,

This may be pushing my luck: I'm trying to find out about a Dr David McKail - Lt RAMC. He was the MO of the 16th Bn King's Liverpool probably since it was formed in Dec 1914,and I think, throughout most of 1915. I'm not sure what he did next though a David McKail appears on MIC (under RAMC) without rank or number so he may have gone overseas at some stage.

thanks

Julian

Pete

Have you anything on Capt John Clifford Metcalfe MC DOW 20-3-18 1ST West Riding Field Ambulance.

I think he was a surgeon at a Leeds Hospital prior to 1914.

Thanks Ady

Ady

I have it that he died of wounds in the casualty list published 27th March 1918. Educated at Leeds University and graduated MB ChB with 1st Class Honours in 1912. Went into practice at Liversedge, Yorkshire. Joined 1st WR Fd Amb 13 Oct 1914. MC 3 June 1917.

Pete

Ady

I have it that he died of wounds in the casualty list published 27th March 1918. Educated at Leeds University and graduated MB ChB with 1st Class Honours in 1912. Went into practice at Liversedge, Yorkshire. Joined 1st WR Fd Amb 13 Oct 1914. MC 3 June 1917.

Pete

Pete

Thanks

Ady. :)

Could you please look up Capt.(temp.) Joseph Patrick Pegum, R.A.M.C., killed in action 26 September, 1917.

Also Capt.(temp.) George Seymour Russell Stritch, Connaught Rangers who was, in fact, a G.P. I don't know why he was an infantry officer; he wasn't R.A.M.C., attached to the Rangers. He was killed in action 7th February, 1916.

Many thanks,

Michael

Michael

Nothing on Pegum.

Stritch was educated at the Royal School at Armagh he studied medicine at Trinity College Dublin and Edinburgh where he qualified in 1895. He became assistant medical officer at Argyle & Bute Asylum. Returned to Dublin in 1902 and was appointed to resident medical officer of the Lock Hospital.

He became a Justice of the Peace and Governor of the Lock Hospital. On the outbreak of the war he applied to joined the RAMC but was unsuccessful so accepted a Cataincy in his old regiment, the Durham Light Infantry and afterwards transfered to 6th Battalion Connaught Rangers. Age 42 when killed and left a widow and two children.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Many thanks, Pete,

Captain Stritch was my grandfather. I never knew before that he had applied for the R.A.M.C. You would have thought they wanted all the doctors they could get.

Could you possibly send me a scan of that entry?

Michael