Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry, 2nd Bn.

John84

Do any pals have any information please regarding specifically the 2nd Bn., D.L.I. involvement around the Aisne heights, 20th September, 1914….any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John.

Hello John,

September 1914 was certainly an interesting period for 2/DLI. I have a draft manuscript available covering the war records of each and every battalion raised by the Regiment during the First World War, as a result of a lot of research prompted, initially, by researching my family's genealogy, later in pursuit of a Master's degree. One of these days I might get round to knocking it all into shape for publication.

Anyway, I hope the attachment, which cuts off at the end of 1914 because the whole chapter relating 2/DLI's experiences between 1914-1918 is too big for the website to handle, is of use to you. If you want a copy of the whole thing, let me have your E-Mail address and I'll send it thru'.

I'm unsure where you live but, if anywhere near Durham, you might find it useful to contact the Durham Records Office. The battalion's war diary is held there - it's extremely unlikely that an individual will be named unless, perhaps, an officer - and there's an enormous photographic database available online. The 28,000 images, and the DLI's document archive, are searchable by name. From memory, the website address is www.record-office@durham.gov.uk.

If there's anything you'd like to query or you need clarification or more help, feel free to come back to me.

Regards,

David T.

2nd_Battalion__DLI___1914.doc

How did I know David T would come to my rescue with this one, this is not the first time he has helped me out big time with D.L.I. research.....thanks a bunch Dave, this is just the kind of info I was after....I will PM you about your full draft manuscript ........thanks again.

Regards

John.

and there's an enormous photographic database available online. The 28,000 images, and the DLI's document archive, are searchable by name. From memory, the website address is www.record-office@durham.gov.uk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this kind of photographic database of soldiers of the regiment a one-off unique to the DLI, or are there other regiments that have the same resources?

Jon.

Is this kind of photographic database of soldiers of the regiment a one-off unique to the DLI, or are there other regiments that have the same resources?

Jon.

Jon,

I'm unable to comment on other regiments but think a few other Record Offices might have done something similar. Probably, it's a case of contacting whichever County Record Office &/or Regimental Museum you're interested in. If Pals know of any other photographic databases available online I'm sure many others will be interested if they'd like to post details to the Forum.

David T.