Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC's from the NA

fstevens

Hi

Don't know if this is of any use, but when I downloaded some MIC's I was not impressed with how they looked when printed. A little bit of work in Photoshop and I had a nice blank MIC. More fiddling with Photoshop brought the writing from the scan to the new card, abd the result looks much better ( to me anyway).

I have dumped the blank on http://freespace.virgin.net/fred.stevens/medal/card.htm, so if anyone wants one you are free to download it.

Regards

Fred

A good idea as far a legibility & researching but does not allow for the fact the downloaded MiCs from the NA are original contemporary documents

I have kept the originals (well the pdf scans) in my records, this is just for displaying miniature copies of Grandad's and Grand Uncles medals.

Guest geoff501

Perhaps the originals could have been scanned at better quality, memory is cheap now, we have the technology. However I suppose it is a cost issue and we're lucky to get what we have. Doing poor scans and then considering destroying originals is senseless. My rant over.

Hi

Don't know if this is of any use, but when I downloaded some MIC's I was not impressed with how they looked when printed. A little bit of work in Photoshop and I had a nice blank MIC. More fiddling with Photoshop brought the writing from the scan to the new card, abd the result looks much better ( to me anyway).

I have dumped the blank on http://freespace.virgin.net/fred.stevens/medal/card.htm, so if anyone wants one you are free to download it.

Regards

Fred

Hello

very few had details so "not cost effective" - not my words I hasten to add

And if you think the MICs are bad (i think they are fine my self ) try reading some of the ww1 diaries - you need to be able to read ancient egyptian and more! I suppose writing in a trench under fire one wouldnt worry too much about handwriting...

Ian

And they didn't scan the reverse of the cards, and apparently some have pertinent info on the backs.

The online downlaoded MICs are near usless most Ive seen are almost impossible to read, typical rubbish you get in Britain thesedays,expensive and poor quality. My rant for the day. Gareth