Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army service Corps 1914-1915

pjaf

Hello all

I am doing research on the ASC as just started to trace my great grandads history, Please can anyone explain how I can find out which platoon/company he would have served in. He went across to France and Belguim on 4th April 1915 as a driver. If you can help I would be greatful I do not know alot about the army and feel like I am going round in circles.

pjaf

Hi Pjaf,

ASC are rather difficult as they are a Corp and individuals are all classed the same.

Does your man have a name and number?? His number may narrow down the type of service he was in.Where was he from? Did he enlist locally etc etc.

Roop

Hi Roop

Thank you for your reply. My great grandfathers name is Harry James Alexander his service number was T/4/056511. He lived in Winchester Hampshire and I believe that he did join locally. When I went on to the National Archives to see medal card his service number was a J, could this have been a miss print? His service number was comfirmed with the Kings own Royal Lancaster museum as he was transferred to the Kings own Royal Lancaster towards the end of 1915 with number 28677. If you can point me in the right direction it would be great.

Many thanks

pjaf

pjaf,I have looked into something similar with my GF who was in ASC. His prefix was TS which I understand now was horse transport (T) and S may have been to indicate he was strapper or stable hand driving horses. Motor transport may have been MT so your man could have been in horse? There is one good reference book about ASC written by Mike Young which is your best guidebook (or only guidebook) on the ASC,from library usually on request as limted availability I reckon.gd luck

My Grandfather’s number was T4/061684, he volunteered on 1st March 1915. He was a horse waggon driver before the war.

The T4 prefix signifies enlistment in a 4th New Army Horse Transport unit. Although that in no way prevents the army from transferring men to any unit that is in need of more men.

There is some background information on the Long Long Trail.

Tony.

LLT.