Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Hesketh

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Lee P

Hi

Its the first time I have used this forum so not sure if this thread is still live or whether to create a new thread. 

I went to the Somme last year with the school I am a governor at and since read as much as I can about WW1. I also took the family at easter and went back a few weeks ago with school again.

Since I went last year I found out that my great grandad was a solider in the war so I have been trying to find out where he was and what he did.

The details I have got is his name is George Greatorex. He joined the Notts and Derby regiment, number 14491, and then joined the machine gun corp, number 154683.

I have got his medal record from the National Archives but don't understand what it all means.

I would like to find which company, battalion, regiments he was in to try to read up on what they did to try to understand what he did and hopefully visit some of the places he may have been to. 

I may be going to Ypres next year so it would be good to know if he was there.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it or point me in the right direction to look for more info.

Thanks 

Lee

Mick G

I do not know if i am in the correct place, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out when my Grandfather John Richard Garfoot joined the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was initially enlisted in the 7th Lincs sometime between Sept and Oct 1914 Service No.12976, but at some point ended up in the 11th. This could have been early 1916 after he was sent home with Trench Foot in November 1915, his Notts. Service No. is 73189.

Any help gratefully received.

Mick

ss002d6252
33 minutes ago, Mick G said:

I do not know if i am in the correct place, but I was wondering if anyone knew how to find out when my Grandfather John Richard Garfoot joined the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was initially enlisted in the 7th Lincs sometime between Sept and Oct 1914 Service No.12976, but at some point ended up in the 11th. This could have been early 1916 after he was sent home with Trench Foot in November 1915, his Notts. Service No. is 73189.

Any help gratefully received.

Mick

#73185 was issued with 11th Bn on 1 Sep 1916 following a transfer from the Lincs - I would suspect that a group of men were probably re-badged following return from illness or injury.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Mick G

Hi Craig

Many thanks that might make a lot of sense as he was wounded on the 17th of August and on that that notification he was put as Service No.12976, it was just that I was lead to believe that he was transferred earlier and was on the Somme with the 11th. However as with many of his generation he did not discuss this readily so that is quite probably (obviously now) wrong.

Many thanks

Stebie9173

The records of 73185 Daniel Pettitt show that he was originally attached to the 11th Battalion Notts & Derby on 13th July 1916 before the official group transfer on 1 September 1916. I have seen this attachment and then official transfer (usually on 1-9-1916) with numerous groups of transfers around this time. It seemed to be the standard way of transferring during July/August/September 1916 before a more efficient way of processing the transfers was set down in the instructions.

I am sure your man followed this same attachment then transfer process on the same dates.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Mick G

Thanks very much for this information, it certainly seems to join up a few dots and would answer why his old service number was on the wound notification.

Either way whoever he was fighting with he certainly put a shift in here is a shot of his medals. 

Medal's Front.jpg

Edited by Mick G
spelling