Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Day

chrisharley9

Let us remember all of those who lost their lives in the Raid on Zeebrugge this day in 1918.

I for one will be saying a prayer for them in church this morning.

Remembering those who fought and those who died in the raids on Zeebrugge and Ostend on St George's Day, 23 April 1918.

Remembering especially Captain Henry Crosby Halahan (whose stamp is my avatar), killed by machine-gun fire while supervising deployment of the landing brows on the foredeck of Vindictive as she approached the Mole. Buried at sea near the South Goodwins, a league off Dover, on 25 April 1918. Commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial.

Remembering all these fine man. A special thought for Wing Commander Brock.

• 2 months later...

We have proposed the following program to the city of Brugge/Zeebrugge for the 90th anniversary of the Saint-George's Day raids :

April 2008 : exhibition on the raids

Saturday 19th April 2008, international conference on Saint-George's Day 1918

1. Marinekorps Flanders and the importance of the Flemish harbours for the German U-boat, torpedoboat and destroyer weapon

2. Dover Patrol and the U-boat war

3. The RNAS : Bombing the Flemish harbours

4. Mines, torpedoes and aerial bombs of WW I

5. Saint-George for England !

6. Conclusions : A twist in the dragon’s tail ?

Sunday 20th April 2008, Memorial Service A.M. and P.M. a guided walk in the harbours of Zeebrugge and Oostende, a confrontation between the past and the present with photo's from the historical spots.

Sounds excellent. Keep us posted. I am in contact with numerous descendants of RN/RM participants who might be interested in attending.

Regards,

Dom

Dom,

Will most certainly do so, this forum will even be the first to know if the program is ok for the city of Brugge !

Saw you have some nice new pics of Zeebrugge raid from e-bay. Was going to participate in the auction till I saw your name. They are in good hands !

Best from Johan

Thanks Johan........yes. I was delighted to get the pictures. When I get a moment I will post the one of the King awarding medals on the forum in case anyone recognises an ancestor.

Cheers,

Dom

If the programme comes through, I'll be attending the walks and maybe even the conference. I've been to the monument two weeks ago on the Zeebrugge beach. A piece of fascinating history!

Regards

Jan

Did you receive my e-mail ? Hope you didn't try to answer it, there's a warning on top of the one you got concerning the firewall !

Happens... solved meanwhile !