The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Nek, 7 August 1915

Bill Woerlee

Mate,

I have to agree, I don't know where they got that list from as it does not appear to be as the 10 LHR is shown in most records?

these I list there Anzac known records;

A Sqn

HELLER Thomas James  Lt 10 LHR A Sqn B Troop 10-14 shown A Sqn 1 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) shown possibly A Sqn B Troop or shown by Kidd A Sqn C Troop at the Nek 7-8-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli  (18 LH to ASqn 1-7-13 CMF 7 years)

BURKETT George Alexander  Lt 10 LHR A Sqn C Troop 10-14 shown A Sqn 2 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) evac to hosp UK (stomach ulcer) 5-15 (G) disch 24-6-17 MU ulcer

COLPITTS John Watson  2/Lt 10 LHR A Sqn D Troop 10-14 shown A Sqn 3 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 30-5-15 concussion of spine bomb in raid at Quinns Post & recom - for his part in raid (G)

CAMPBELL Neil  2/Lt 10 LHR A Sqn D Troop? shown A Sqn 4 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 29-5-15 chest & shell shock reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G) RTA wounded

B Sqn

SHERWOOD Claude Augustus  Lt 10 LHR B Sqn A Troop 11-14 (replaced McMasters) shown B Sqn 1 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 29-5-15 L/hand bomb reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G)

CRAIG Leslie  Lt 10 LHR B Sqn C Troop 10-14 shown B Sqn 2 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) shown B Sqn D Troop or B Sqn B Troop? at the Nek WIA 7-8-15 L/leg & R/arm in charge at the Nek (G)

KIDD Thomas Anderson  Lt 10 LHR B Sqn D Troop 10-14 shown B Sqn 3 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 30-5-15 face in raid at Quinns Post recom Legion of Honour 5th Class Chevalier awarded MID - for his actions at Quinns Post 30-5-15 (shown possibly B Sqn A Troop or shown by Kidd had B Sqn B Troop at the Nek 7-8-15) and in attack at Hill 60 30-8-15 to Regt Scout/Intell officer 8-15 after charge to B Sqn C Troop 8-15 prom Capt 9-15 to T/2ic RHQ 10-15 when Maj Scott killed (G)

SCOTT Ernest Charles Gordon  2/Lt 10 LHR B Sqn B Troop 10-14 shown B Sqn 4 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 15-7-15 head shot by sniper in No1 post at Walkers Ridge (G) died on HS "Sicilia" NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Gnr No1 Tas Bty AFA 9 years to CSqn/25 LH 1-7-12 CMF 2 years) brother John Maj 10 LHR KIA

C Sqn

ROWAN Andrew Percival  Lt 10 LHR C Sqn 2ic & C Sqn A Troop 10-14 shown C Sqn 1 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 27-5-15 neck minor at Quinns Post WIA 29-5-15 minor reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post prom T/Capt 2ic B Sqn 8-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek buried Ari Burnu Cemetery Gallipoli  (Boer War Lt 5 VMR) (AFA 1902-06 to RofO CMF) born 31-3-1876

OLDEN Arthur Charles Niquet  Lt 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop 10-14 shown C Sqn B Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 24-5-15 shoulder one of five officers checking the lines near Quinns Post rtn 7-15 shown WIA 31-7-15 reported WIA 1-8-15 head, hip & body reported by Trench mortor bomb with Lt Williams 9 LHR & Pte Regan at Walker's Ridge rtn 10-15 (G)

HAMLIN Herbert Bowen  Lt 10 LHR C Sqn D Troop 10-14 shown C Sqn 3 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) prom T/Capt 7-15 prom T/Capt T/Adjt RHQ 8-15 (some show C Sqn C Troop or B Troop? at the Nek) revert 9-15 (G) RTA MU enteric

JACKSON David Alexander  2/Lt 10 LHR C Sqn D Troop? shown C Sqn 4 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) WIA 10-7-15 head fall in of dugout at Walkers Ridge shown Bombing officer at the Nek (not known if commanded his Troop?) 8-15 or possibly C Sqn A Troop?) (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (CMF 4 years) brother Robert 10 LHR

S.B

Well for 4th line I have Maj Joe Scott commanding, and who was OC C Sqdn. A 5th reo officer Lt Hugh McDonald, recently arrived was posted to C Sqdn. 2/Lt Irwin Burges, recently commissioned and sent to C Sqdn from B. I think they had D and C troops on left, but who had what unknown. Then Hamlin with B troop. His diary stopped on 4 August unfortunately. Then Lyall with A troop of C Sqdn. Sid Livesey was a bomb carrier with this troop. Ironically, a few years after we published the history, I got a copy of Sid Livesy's letter to the father of the Gillam brothers, explaining how they died at Hill 60 in late August. Livesey claimed to be in C troop of C Sqdn, same as the Gillams. But then, I do not know how the bombing parties were chosen and allocated in both lines. All I know is that Jackson commanded them, what they carried and that Archie Crowe and Livesey were both bombers, all in C Sqdn. The accounts of Bain and Foss maintain very few of C Sqdn charged, probably only Bill Lyall's A troop of C Sqdn. C Sqdn lost 9 killed and 6 wounded, much less than A and B Sqdns, aligning with only one troop going out.

On the right we have D and C troops of B Sqdn. Craig had one troop and the other I don't know. May well have been Turnbull. Rowan commanded this part of the line.

I think it important to continue to seek further answers to this charge, etched as it is into so many Australians minds. More than happy to be proven wrong. Just glad we found a lot of new stuff that we could put to print. History is fluid as Harvey Broadbent wisely mentioned once.

Cheers

Ian

Mate,

I surpose we like to think officers were stable in their Troops but the truth is different.

Some officers did stay in one Troop for a time but others did move around.

This is Lt Johnson 7 LHR who is well recorded in routine Orders

JOHNSON Harold Ireland  Lt 7 LHR 9R att C Troop ASqn/Comp LHR 11-15 tos C Sqn D Troop? 1-16 shown C Sqn C Troop (unit RO's) 2-16 shown C Sqn A Troop (unit RO's) 2-16 shown C Sqn B Troop (unit RO's) 3-16 shown 2ic C Sqn (unit RO's) 11-16 shown C Sqn to 2ic B Sqn (from Easterbrook) 12-16 shown T/att CTC 12-16 att school of Instruction (cavalry course) Zeitoun 1-17 rtn 2-17 prom Capt (from easterbrook) 3-17 T/att school of Instruction (hotchkiss instructor MG course) Zeitoun 8-17 to OC CSqn/2 LHTR (from maddrell) 9-17 T/att school of Instruction (unknown course) Zeitoun 12-17 rtn ? Sqn ? Troop 1-18 shown T/OC B Sqn at Amman 3-18 not confirmed shown T/OC C Sqn 4-18 (after Maj Barton WIA at Amman) (OC C Sqn Troop Lt's Williams - Waddell - Walker) 4-18 prom T/Maj OC C Sqn 5-18 prom Maj 6-18 to hosp (fever) 9-18 rtn 10-18 shown OC C Sqn 12-18 (Prov 2/Lt 16-12-14 to Lt B Troop BSqn/28 LH 8-3-15 to Lt 16-12-14 CMF rtn 28 LH 1919 to LtCol 21 LH 1-11-26 to 1/21 LH 1-7-29 to 31-8-35 to 4 Cav Bde 1-9-33 to Hon Col 1-9-37 to UL 8-10-39 Later WWII 4 Cav Bde 1940 retired Hon Brig 10-1-42 ED)

Over two months he was recorded in at lest three Troops?

While he is an extream case other officers did move around more often then we think?

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Yes I don't disagree Steve. What I am sure of is that Kidd was B troop B Sqdn right up to the Nek. A and B sqds subsequently amalgamated following the Nek and fought at Hill 60 as A sqdn. I have little doubt Kidd on far left in 3rd line. From Kidds troop locations and Throssell saying he was C troop in A sqdn and that McMaster took his position in the line is partly proven in Kidds diagram, although I think troop allocations wrong for officers. We know C troop had no casualties and McMaster's troop got badly cut up. I also think Harpers A troop of B sqdn did not go over in 3rd line next to Kidd. He ended up mg officer and later went to 9th LH.

Casualties in C sqdn much lighter and two C sqdn men said they did not go over due to congestion in the trenches and confusion as to whether the charge was to proceed for 4th line. And we know one troop of C sqdn did go over. The bulk of B sqdn casualties occurred in the 4th line on right. Kidd said his troop in 3rd line only had one wounded. I found two.

How the bombing parties were spread out across the two lines is unknown and their officer Jackson is unaccounted for his location and line taken. There is plenty of room to discover more as new info comes to light. It would be great to accurately finalise the 10th LH lines as nicely as the 8th LH. Never say never.

Cheers

Ian

Steve & Ian,

From my research regarding the 8th LHR it would appear that men from each Troop of the three Squadrons were selected to be trained as 'Bombers'. Lt Andy Crawford in the second line on the left recalled that someone shouted out an order "advance the bombers". The 8th LH Bomber CO was Lt Howard, who went out in the second line on the far Right, he could have shouted that order, but it seems unlikely that it would have been heard out on the left.

It has been some time now since I have revisited the charge at The Nek, but your discussion has brought me back to going over what I have recorded. Before Ian sought my assistance with his research for his part of the 10th LHR history, I had totally given up on trying to work out the Troop structure of the 10th. Got it totally wrong with my first attempt, as can be seen from what I had put forward for Kim place in this topic.

Ian, I have stated before, your drive to find an answer to this question made me look into the subject harder than I had to that date for the 8th LH. A great deal of work , but a most rewarding outcome.

Back in October 2014 I was approached by the AWM for assistance with diary records from Gallipoli for their research in conjunction with Wingnut films. I submitted all I had recorded of the 3rd LH Brigade from its arrival in May until the evacuation in December. What ever became of that research, I have never heard.

To give this discussion a bit more go on, in a following post I shall put up what I have recorded of the third and fourth lines of the charge at The Nek.

Most of the credit for this work should go to many others, but principally to Ian Gill.

Regards,

Jeff 

As the second line of the 8th LHR made its charge, the 10th LHR began to file into the front trenches to take up their positions for the third line of the charge, and the fourth line started to move forward to take up the positions vacated by the third, as outlined in the map AWM G7432 /G1 S65. This could not be achieved as smoothly as the original orders had specified, for the front saps and trenches were crowded with the dead and wounded men of the two lines of the 8th LHR. As well, those men of the 8th LH who were able to get back continued to drop into the trenches or were dragged in by comrades.
The Western Australians of the 10th Regiment were forced to make many halts to allow the stretchers and walking wounded to pass, making their way to the rear. Lt Col Brazier later in one of his accounts of the charge he forwarded to C.E.W. Bean, wrote; “Owing to the trenches being chocked with dead and wounded, it took the 10th a little longer to take up their positions.” From about 4.32a.m. the third line was in position and prepared for the signal to make their charge.
At about 4.35a.m. Lt Col Noel Brazier, who unlike Lt Col White of the 8th LHR, had decided to direct the advance of the two lines of the 10th LHR from the front trench, endeavoured to ascertain what the situation was. Leaving No. 5 Sap where he had established his regimental headquarters, he went to No 8 Sap, this being not far in front of the Brigade headquarters dugout, to see if he could observe what the situation of the first two lines was.
Realising it was far too dangerous to raise his head above the parapet he used a periscope to observe the scene out in front, quickly realising that the two lines of the 8th LHR had failed to make the Turkish trenches. All that he was able to see were the men of the 8th Regiment lying prone about six to ten yards out and most of these seemed to be bloodied and lying quite still. He noted that those lying prone at no more than ten yards away were waiting for a lull in the fire, or were killed and no sign of any red and yellow flags could seen in the Turkish lines, that would have signified that they had been reached and taken. The Turkish fire began to slacken off, and by about 4.40 a.m. had almost stopped.
Major Tom Todd who was in command of the third line, at No. 2 Sap, reported to him at 4.40 a.m. that he could not advance as the 8th Regt was held up and expressed the opinion that success would be virtually impossible. Brazier seems to have been of the same opinion and was reluctant to give the order to charge until he had confirmation that sending any further men to their deaths would serve any purpose.
At this point, as C. E. W. Bean states, ‘a staff officer from brigade headquarters came to him and asked why the third line had not gone forward’. This officer was most probably Lt Kenneth McKenzie, of the 9th LHR, seconded to the 3rd Bde, who was one of the officers assigned to dictate the timings for each of the lines. This must have been some little time after 4.40 a.m. Brazier informed him that he would not give the order until he had had confirmation from headquarters as to whether he was to continue or have his orders for the charge cancelled. He stated that he told this officer; “in view of the scene in front of the trenches and the fire of the enemy machine guns not having been affected by our artillery I did not intend to send my men over until I had reported what I had seen and had my orders either cancelled or confirmed.”
He then made his way back to the brigade headquarters dugout in White Street trench, (AW Phone on the Nek Forming-up Plan, AWM G7432. G1 S65, Gallipoli x 1.12.) about twenty yards to the rear, to raise the question with Brigadier Hughes and Brig Major Antill. When he arrived at the headquarters dugout, after pushing his way down the crowded lines of trenches, he found only Brig Major Antill there. He told C. E. W. Bean later that he found the Brigade Major Antill sitting in his dug-out with his back to the wall and that he had made no attempt to go up to the firing line to see what the situation was.
Brigadier General Hughes had gone up to a bombing sap near the front line, most probably near the end of Sap No. 5, at about the time the second line had charged, to determine how the advance was progressing. At this point the senior command structure of the 3rd LH Bde was now split. There appears from this point on to have been no further communication between the C.O. Hughes and the Brigade Major.
The antagonism between Brazier and Antill again erupted. Brazier informed Antill that in view of the strength of the enemy’s fire, the task laid upon his Regiment was beyond achievement. Antill was furious that Brazier had left his post to query the orders for the advance, which had been firmly laid out.
He told Brazier that in light of the sighting of the signal flag in the Turkish trench that the 10th Regiment ‘must push on at once’. Brazier informed him that he had been observing the front line and had seen no sign of any signal flags and could see no evidence of the men of the 8th Regiment having occupied the trenches.
This belief that the Turkish trenches had been captured is also backed up by the message sent to Sgt Clifford Ashburner, of the 9th LR Machine Gun Section, at Turks’ Point, by Major Reynell.
Sgt Ashburner without orders brought his Maxim gun back into action, firing across onto the Turkish trenches, after the third line had charged. Reynell ordered Sgt Ashburner to stop firing, with the message reading; “Aren’t you firing on our own men?”
Brazier later told C. E. W Bean that Antill responded to his appeal to reconsider the order for the third line to charge, by simply roaring, ‘Push on’! It is apparent that Antill made no attempt to consult with Brigadier Hughes or Divisional Headquarters, or to establish whether the signal flag was still there, or if any others had been sighted. It would appear that Antill had not left the command dugout at any stage during the charge. He determined that the orders laid out for the charge were to be carried out regardless of the obvious failure of the first two lines to achieve their tasks.
The map of the 3rd Brigade’s trenches on Russell’s Top, AWM Printed Records Maps, G7432 / G1S65 outlines the movement and numbers of men for the third and fourth lines as they moved up through the reserve trenches, to take up their positions in the firing line for their respective advances, as each proceeding line charged.

The men of the 10th now waited for the order to advance.
Lt Col Brazier made his way back to the front trench, where he was met by Capt Piesse, Capt Rowan, Lieutenants Turnbull and Kidd, Sergeant-Major Springhall, Sergeant’s Saunderson and MacBean.
They were waiting for his return to find out what the decision was, at the junction of the trench back to headquarters and the front trench between No. 5 and No. 6 Saps. Brazier informed then that the charge was to proceed as planned. Saying; “I am sorry lads but the order is to go.” They all said goodbye to each other, shook hands and moved off to take up the positions with their men for the charge, at about 4.45 a.m.
Major Todd after receiving the order to proceed with the attack, took up his position in the centre, as the word spread along the line. At about 4.46 a.m. with a wave of his revolver, he gave the order and led the third line out. As soon as the men of the 10th LHR rose above the parapet the Turks again opened up with a tremendous volume of fire, and most of the men were cut down before they had managed to advance a yard or two from the trenches. Sgt Cliff Ashburner of the 9th LHMG from his position at Turk’s Point was able to see the three lines go out, he has left this description; “The first and 2nd lines went out running-charging. The third line bent, with rifles on guard, walking. When they got as far as the knoll they turned, and those who could get back to the trenches did so. Then a long time before the last lot.”
It was now daybreak and beginning to become light and the men of the third line were far more exposed to the Turks as they left the trenches.
In addition to the rifle and machine gun fire, two Turkish 75mm field guns well back on Baby 700 had begun bursting shrapnel low over no mans land at three hundred yards range, as fast as they could be loaded and fired.

It is still difficult to definitely establish exactly what the over-all structure of the two lines of the 10th Light Horse was. The set out of the third line as recorded by Lt Tom Kidd would seem to be accurate based upon what has been recorded by some of the participants, the casualty lists put against those men’s service records, and other supporting documentation. His notes indicate:

3rd Line L-R.

T.J. Todd leading 3rd line.

V. Piesse – leading left of line.   P. Fry leading right of line.

“B” Sqdn.

“B Troop – Kidd.   “A” Troop – Harper.

“A” Sqdn.

“D” – no I.D.   “C” Troop – Heller.   “B” Troop – McMaster.   “A” Troop - Throssell.

4th Line L-R.

J.B. Scott leading 4th line. 

Leading left of line – no I/D.    A. Rowan leading right of line.

“C” Sqdn.

“D” Troop – no I.D.   “C” Troop – no I.D.   “B” Troop – no I.D.   “A” Troop – no I.D.

“B” Sqdn.

“D” Troop – no I.D.    “C” Troop – no I.D.

The structure of the fourth line has proved to be far more difficult, due in the main to a lack of recorded accounts, the lack of a set structure in Lt Kidd’s notes, and from what documentation there is. The following is what can be presumed from the available evidence, but for officers such as the adjutant and the bombing officer Lt David Jackson there positions in the charge can still not be accurately accounted for.

THE THIRD LINE.

Commanded by Major Tom Todd, “A” Sqdn, from the centre of the line near to No. 2 Sap, being made up from “A” Sqdn and half of “B” Sqdn, “A” & “B” Troops.

It is possible that Capt Walter C. Robinson, WIA 7/8/15, went out with Major Todd. Two reports state he was wounded with a gunshot wound to neck, one report shrapnel wound to arm and thigh. He was evacuated to Mudros Island. Robinson was appointed Adjutant of the 10th 1/8/15, but I can’t really place him to a particular point in the third line. It could also be possible that he was the officer leading the left of the fourth line, but there is nothing recorded to indicate exactly where he was.

This also applies to Lt David Alexander Jackson (O.C. Bombers). It is still unclear as to which line of the charge he went out in, third or fourth, nor to which troop he led. Pre August documentation have Lt Jackson commanding “D” Troop, “C” Sqdn. C.E.W. Bean in his notes, letter to Lt Col Noel Brazier in 1924, (notebook, 3DRL 1722, item 4), has Lt Jackson as the bombing officer going out with the third line, but as with the names of other officers who Bean thought made up the third and fourth lines, he has some of these wrong, and pointedly, no mention of Lt Throssell going out in either line. The following are the only details that have been found that give an account of his role in the charge, but even these give no clear indication to his actual position, and the time given is wrong. “Captain Jackson, on the right, was hit very early. He continued to cheer his men on, however, and actually rose to his feet for a second effort, when he came within the zone of a machine gun, and his legs were practically cut to pieces by bullets. He retained his calmness to the end of the fight, however, and was one of the last to be dragged back into a recess. That was at half-past 4, when the dawn was just touching the tips of the ridges. He died shortly afterwards smoking a cigarette, without one word of complaint.” (Argus Oct. 14-1915 p6).

Third Line, Left.

Capt Vernon Frederick Piesse, 2 I.C., “A” Sqdn commanded the right of the line, frontage ‘C’ to ‘B’ (Nek Forming-up Plan, AWM G7432. G1 S65, Gallipoli x 1.12.) The three troops under his command were from “A” & “B” Sqdn’s. Capt Vernon Piesse was killed as he led the men out and his body was never recovered.

C. E. W. Bean recorded an account of what happened to Capt Piesse as related by Sgt Colin Hendrie MacBean No. 220, “D” Troop, “B” Sqdn.

“Sergt. MacBean and Capt. V. Piesse went out together. They had been lying in a bit of a hollow. Had to keep heads down because M.G. bullets were just clearing them (they were on the cap of the hill next to the right troop). MacBean said that he had a periscope with him. He was looking through a periscope towards the T. trenches. Piesse was a man who always thought of his men - he said: 'I wonder how the rest of them have got on”- and looked up and was shot through the head immediately. MacBean got in and was killed afterwards at Hill 60. ... Captain Vernon Piesse, Lieut. Turnbull, Cap. Rowan, Lieut. Kidd, Sergt.Sanderson, S.Maj. Springhall, and Sergt. MacBean met and shook hands at the corner of the Sap waiting for the front trenches to clear after the first line had gone, said 'Goodbye' to one another and shook hands.” (Bean, diaries, No. 223 p11).

If the accounts of, Sgt MacBean and Capt Piesse going out alongside one another, as recounted by Charles Bean, are correct, there must have been a change with MacBean’s placement within the troop structure of “B” Sqdn for the third line, but it is more likely that the following was the case. Sgt MacBean is recorded as being a member of “D” Troop, “B” Sqdn, of the fourth line, before and after the charge. The possibility of them both lying out in the hollow before Capt Piesse was killed could suggest that Piesse was not actually killed until after the fourth line advanced, and he and McBean going on a little further together. This would put Sgt McBean to his right troop of the fourth line, and with that, to the right position for the charge of “D” Troop, “B” Sqdn.

C. E. W. Bean has recorded in his diary the following account of the death of SSM John Springall:

“Sergt. Maj. Springall was on the parapet kneeling, facing the Turks with his rifle in his hand. He was shot just under his row of South African ribbons. He went out immediately after Vernon Piesse (who had come sick from Imbros the day before on learning of the stunt). Springall was killed and stayed there.” (Diary 223; Bean, C.E.W. p11. ML MSS).

Trooper James Herbert Cannon No. 249, ‘B’ Squadron related in 1936 his last conversation with Sgt Major Springall: “Our original R.S.M., Jack Springhall, an old Imperial 21 year service man, and a soldier every inch of him, even though he was a little chap. What he didn’t know about cavalry work was not worth knowing. The last time I saw S.M. Springhall alive and as fit as a fiddle was on the morning of August 7, just a few minutes before we hopped over. He told me that orders were that stretcher bearers had to be in the hop over in battle order, including stretchers. Being a bearer, I said: “How the hell can we work with all that gear?” The reply was: “That’s your affair, not mine. Orders are orders.” And with a parting shout, he said: “Anyhow, I won’t see you get over.” And he did not. He got a bullet through the head and fell back in the trench dead. Finis – A soldier and a man.”

Troop Dispositions of the Third Line.

Extreme left, “C” to “P” of Secret Sap – Lt Tom Kidd, “B” Troop, “B” Sqdn.

“B” Troop, “B” Sqdn was under the command of Lt Thomas Anderson Kidd. The 20 men of this troop were positioned from ‘P’ to just past ‘C’, the Secret Sap, running from the cliff edge of Malones Gully. The Troop had moved up into position for the charge from their waiting position in the communication trench, “O” to “P”, filing into the Secret Sap, “P” to “C”.

Lt Kidd has left this account of the charge: “When the order ‘Advance Third Line, with the exception of one troop’, we leapt the parapet and the four troops on the right were practically annihilated before they could advance 5 yards. I went over with my troop; it was necessary to move to the right front in order to gain the Nek. The pace was slow owing to the heaped up dead, rubble, bush, and wire.

A slight depression in the ground afforded use a little protection, advantage of which had been seized by men of the 8th regiment who had escaped the holocaust. Just as we were forcing our way over the slight protecting rise, the order to ‘Halt and Dig In’ passed down the line.”

Lt Kidd has also left a sketch of the trenches on the Nek in which he shows where each of the troops of the third line went out from and gives a good idea of the rise leading up to the Turkish trenches on the left of the line. He also indicates that the structure of the third line was, two troops on the left in the Secret Sap, and four troops on the right, extending with the first troop positioned in No. 1 Sap running from the entrance of the Whispering Tunnel through to the firing line trench, up to the entrance of No. 2 Sap. The remaining three troops extending along the firing line out to No. 8 Sap. This structure is at odds with the Forming-up Plan, which places three troops on the left and three troops on the right.

Tom Kidd would write after the charge: “Looking over the parapet before the charge impressed one with the immensity of our job. To my mind it looked an utter impossibility that we could succeed, unless, providing a vigorous attack elsewhere drew off a considerable number of their garrison. We knew the enemy possessed numerous machine guns covering every piece of ground which we would have to traverse & that the trenches were fully manned. Owing to the conformity of the ground, we had one firing line only whereas the enemy had parallel & successive trenches, each trench overlooking the one in front. Theirs was an ideal position & practically the Key of defences to BATTLESHIP & the heights of CHUNAK BAHR [sic], overlooking the DARDANELLES. On the face of it, it was ridiculous to suppose that the enemy would weaken his garrison @ The Nek & BABY 700. Turks held the Nek and a line of trenches on our side of it. The sides were almost cliff-like & practically unassailable. To assault their position it was necessary for attacking parties to converge leaving a dense mass of men trying to squeeze through a neck of land about 50 yards wide, whilst about a dozen machine guns played on them from the front & right, so enfilading. In addition to this trench upon trench packed with rifle-men.”
Lt Tom Kidd also recorded that he had only one man wounded in the charge, and from the records of killed and wounded for the 7th August, Tpr Jacques MONY No. 358 is the only man of “B” Troop recorded as having been wounded, bullet wound to the left arm.

The Troop occupying the centre section of the Secret Sap, “P” to “M” was “A” Troop, “B” Sqdn.

This troop was under the command of T/2nd Lt (Sgt) Harold White Harper, No. 216, (Vice Lt Sherwood, WIA), and comprised 30 men. This particular section of trench was from the right of communication trench “L” to “Z” and ended at the entrance to the Whispering Tunnel. The Troop had filed into position from the communication trench “L” to “Z” and extended to their right along the Secret Sap.

From what can be established from the records of killed and wounded for the charge, it appears that there were no casualties inflicted to this troop in the charge, bar the possibility of one, Tpr William Cuthbert McKENZIE No. 813. “A” Troop, “B” Sqdn. (KIA). This would suggest that possibly Lt Harper’s troop were unable to get into position in time for the charge, and may be the troop that Lt Tom Kidd recorded as: “Advance Third Line, with the exception of one troop”. It could also suggest that the troop did jump over and that Lt Harper put his men to ground before they cleared the rise running out along the left flank. It is also known that the troops on the left were delayed moving into position, which may have had a bearing on this troops timing with the advance, but to-date there has been no personal account found from a member of this troop.

The last troop on the left was “D” Troop, “A” Sqdn. T/2nd Lt Leopold James Cecil Roskams (Vice 2nd Lt John Watson Colpitts), 25 men. This Troop occupied the line from “M” to “B”, from the right of the Whispering Tunnel running just up to the junction of the Secret Sap and the Main Street trench, this section of the sap was the existing No. 1 Sap. They had moved up into place from the communication trench “Z” to “M”.

Lt Roskams was initially wounded leading his troop out and lay just beyond the parapet but rising up again a few minutes later he was shot in the head and killed instantly.

Cpl Henry Foss, who was in “C “Troop,” C Sqdn that was in the reserve trench from the communication trench, ‘Q’ – ‘L’, and was unable to get into position in time, has left a description of the movement of  “D” Troop.

He stated: “In the meantime my troop sat down in a fire trench waiting orders, while “D” Troop of “A” Squadron filed past us. I spoke to Gres Harper and Wilfred, Bob Lukin, Hassell, and Geoff Lukin, and some others I knew.

They were cheery and confident, and soon passed on. A few minutes later a terrific fire told us our first line had gone. There was a short lull of scattered fire then another burst more furious than the first signalled the second line had moved. ” [H. Foss, Diary. AWM 1 DRL 298]

The known members of this troop were:

Tpr William Fleming ANDERSON No. 101. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Harold BARRACLOUGH No. 103. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Joseph Leo BLACK No. 104. (WIA)

Sgt Basil Middleton FENWICK No. 109. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Oscar Donald Humphrey HASSELL No. 112. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Gresley HARPER No. 113. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Acting QMS Wilfred Lukin HARPER No. 114. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Sgt William John HENDERSON No. 115. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Dudley LUKIN No. 116. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr John Percival LEWIS No. 120. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr John Blacklock McJANNETT No. 123. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Thomas MURRAY No. 124. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Gordon McRAE No. 125. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Edward Fortescue MORRIS No. 126. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Edward Lockier OLIVER No. 127. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr William Allardice ROSS No. 130. “D” Troop. (KIA)

L/Cpl Jack Wentworth RUSSELL No. 131. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Sgt Reginald Johnstone MOORE No. 138. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Third Line, Right.

The right commanded by the 2 I.C. Capt Henry Philip Fry “A” Sqdn. Three troops occupying positions B to A of the firing line. It appears that Capt Fry followed the advance out for a few yards from possibly No. 3 Sap before taking cover.

The Troop occupying the firing line, “B” to “X” was “A” Troop, “A” Sqdn, under the command of T/Captain, Lt Robert McMasters, 4th Reinforcements. This troop had moved up into position from the communication trench “K” to “F” and comprised 35 men.

In a letter from Corporal Maitland Hoops, No. 75, “A” Sqdn, 10th LHR, invalided to Egypt with enteric and influenza, from Heliopolis, Cairo, September 1915:  “We were stationed up on Walker’s Ridge all the time I was there, to reach which from the bank you have to climb Cathedral Hill and the ascent is tedious. The first two days we were camped in Shrapnel Terrace, and then we had the charge the next morning. We were forming the third line, the 8th Light Horse were the first and second. At about 3.30 a.m. our officer called us and we put on our equipment and filed up onto [into?] the saps. We got to our place and had to wait a bit until it got lighter. Then the first line charged, but they never got 20 yards before they were all shot down, as a perfect hail of lead opened on them from rifles and machine gun, and bombs were falling amongst them in dozens as well as shells. The fire from the rifles and machine guns was like a heavy shower of rain on a roof. Well, with a cheer, the second line charged, but this got no further than the first, and then we charged but they dropped like flies. We did not advance further than the first line.

I can tell you it looked terrible to see your chums toppling over on the ground and lying in all sorts of attitudes. I dropped down and a chum put out his hand and shook hands and said ‘Good-bye’ as he said he was done. He was shot through the lungs and was bleeding from the mouth, but he got back into the trench and is in hospital here now. As soon as I had shaken hands with him I heard someone calling me, and discovered it was Geoff Howell, a particular chum of mine. He desired me to shoot him as he said he was settled. It was a rare sight to see the smile on his face all the time, I will never forget it. Poor fellow, he got a bullet through the head a little later. I was lying down alongside Captain McMasters [sic] and he got two bullets through the head and I had two through my haversack which was on my back, and a piece of nickel struck me full above the right eye, but it was only a scratch. The bullets were still flying like rain and the bombs were lively, so I thought it time to get back into the trench. This I succeeded in doing and I could see Leo Roskams lying wounded just over the trench. I took off my putties [sic] and put a stone in the end and threw them out. Someone pulled, so I started to haul in – Who should it be but Jack Linto - a Yorkite. I was just throwing it out again when Leo, who must have become suddenly deranged, stood up for a second facing the Turkish trenches and he got one in the eye which laid the poor fellow out. He was promoted to a lieutenancy the day before. (In article “Letters from the Light Horse”, by Ian Gill, in “The Gallipolian”, Autumn 2000, p35-6).

The known members of this troop were:

Tpr William Henry LAILEY No. 33.  “A” Troop. (KIA)

Sgt Frank Eric THROSSELL No. 64. “A” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Michael Joseph MAGHER No. 66. “A” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Leslie BURROWES No. 67. “A” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Ross Richard Vivian CHIPPER No. 68. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Hubert Hawden BROCKMAN No. 69. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr James Thomas WILKERSON No. 71. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Cpl Maitland HOOPS No. 75. “A” Troop.

Tpr Roland Harold PEAKE No. 77. “A” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr F. W. SCRIVENS No. 79. “A” Troop. (DOW 20/8/15)

Tpr William Reginald Eustace NORTHEY No. 80. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr George Wallace RICHARDSON No. 82. “A” Troop. (WIA)  (DOW 7/8/15)

Cpl Leslie James RICHARDS No. 83. “A” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Norman Charles DYER No. 84. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr H. C. Okes No. 87

Dvr Tom COMBLEY No. 93. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Geoffrey Castell HOWELL No. 96. “A” Troop. (KIA)

L/Cpl Lindsay Lewis Sterling CHIPPER No. 97. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Reginald Garry DEMPSTER No. 539. “A” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Okes No. 87, in a Red Cross witness statement given at Heliopolis on the 24-2-1916, stated that he never saw Dyer again after he jumped out over the parapet.

The centre position “X” to “H” was manned by “B” Troop, “A” Sqdn, under the command of Lt Thomas James Heller who was killed and his body never recovered. This Troop had moved up into position from the communication trench “D” to “H” and comprised 20 men. Of these men 14 are known casualties.

The known members of this Troop were: -

Tpr Richard Edward CUMMING No. 139. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Frederick William KIRSCH No. 141. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Albert George COBB No. 142. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Edwin James WHITE No. 143. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr William John SNUDDEN No. 147. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Louis Alfred KLOPPER No. 150. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Harold RUSH No. 152. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr John Charles EYRE No. 153. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Fred GILMORE No. 154. “B” Troop.

Tpr Walter Frederick WEATHERALL No. 155. (WIA)

Cpl Clarence SHEPHERD No. 157. “B” Troop. (KIA)

L/Cpl James K. LYALL No. 160. “B” Troop. (WIA)

L/Cpl Thomas Francis BURGES No. 165. “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Amos Leonard DOUST No. 166. (DOW 7/8/15) “B” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Carl Oscar LINDELL No. 167. “B” Troop.

Sgt Ernest McALIECE No. 170. “B” Troop. (KIA)

On the extreme right, occupying the firing line “H” to “A” up to the entrance of No. 8 Sap was “C” Troop, “A” Sqdn. under the command of 2nd Lt Hugo Vivian Hope Throssell, C.O. 2nd Reinforcements. (Vice Lt George Alexander Burkett.)

Hugo Throssell recorded in his diary, 7/8/15 “Anzac”, the following general account of the charge. Although he gives no detail of his troops position for the charge, the number of men, nor what action he, and his men, took in charging, he does explain the reason for the discrepancy to his actual troop and position in the line, as against the troop disposition set out by Major Tom Kidd, in his diary, prior to the charge.

“Great charge of the 3rd LH Brigade on the Nek. 10th lost 7 officers killed & 96 men – 8th & 10th between them suffered about 450 casualties. Ric shot thro lungs & sent to Cairo – Capt McMasters took my position in mistake, he & 26 of his Troop were killed. No casualties in my troop – Night before Ric, 2 Chippers & self spent night on cliff watching warships bombard (our 1st taste of Whisky – I stole a bottle from Mjr Todd), both Chippers killed –“

Lt Throssell elaborated further in an interview published in the Northam Advertiser: “In May, when our boys moved off to the firing line, I was left in Egypt with the horses. At the end of July, I got my marching orders and arrived at the Peninsula on the 3rd of August. I joined the rest of the 10th on Russell's Top and Walker's Ridge. Those of us who had just arrived were fit enough to jump out of our skins, and just spoiling for a fight, but sickness was beginning to make itself felt amongst those who had been there for three months. We were just in time to take part in the terrible charge of the 7th of August in which poor Tom Heller and so many other fine fellows lost their lives. In the engagement the 8th Light Horse (Victorians) formed the first and second lines, and the 10th provided the 3rd and 4th lines. Between us we lost about 450 men in about a quarter of an hour, and not a man got near the Turkish lines. Our front trench was about 30 yards from the Turks. It was at 4.30 a.m. that the bombardment from the warships and the artillery stopped, and at once the 8th charged, first a body of 150 men, and then another 150 men.

They were mowed down mercilessly and our turn came next. We got out about 10 yards and then lay there for an hour and a half, until Major Todd sent word back that it was hopeless attempting anything, and only throwing life away to remain there. Then we got orders to return to our trenches.”

The volume of fire from the Turks was so great as they leapt out of the trench, he realised that the task of reaching the enemy lines was impossible and ordered his men to throw themselves to the ground, taking advantage of a small hollow just out in front of the trench. He is reported to have shouted to his men; “A bob in and the winner shouts.”

In a letter sent by Hugo Throssell to the mother of No. 176 Cpl Sid H. Ferrier from London on the 4th March 1916, he gives some further details of the charge: “I joined the regiment in Western Australia as a trooper where I served in the ranks as a non-commissioned officer for 4 months, and so became more intimate with the men than many of the officers who held commission rank there. Possibly you may know that I was given a commission and for the time being left the main body of the regiment and was put in charge of the secondary reinforcements; subsequently my boys were absorbed by the regiment, and when the main body went on to the Dardanelles I was left some time in charge of the horse back in Egypt, and it was not until the end of July that I rejoined the men at Gallipoli. I was then given charge of  “C” Troop of “A” Squadron in which you doubtless know Sid was a Lance-Corporal (he was afterwards promoted to Corporal which carries an extra portion of the day pay, and I will be glad to know if this adjustment was put in order).

Naturally, I came into close contact with Sid and admired his calm ways immensely. We went through that awful charge on the neck at Russell Top harmless together, where the 8th and 10th lost about 450 men inside half-an-hour without even drawing blood on a Turk: then with greatly reduced numbers we held the position for three weeks, being in the firing trench continuously within 30 yards of the Turks and subject to shell fire regularly three times a day.”

(1 DRL/581: Letter concerning death of Cpl Ferrier and recommendation of Captain H.V. Throssell, VC, 10th Light Horse Regiment, AIF.)

Sgt John Lachlan MacMillan No. 5020, “C” Troop, in an article published in the WESTEN MAIL, Friday 26 November 1915. “It was on August 7, when the Light Horse made that charge from Russell’s Top, which has been described by Captain Bean in the Australian Press as the charge of the Australian Light Brigade. It is still a terrible memory with us how we charged into a hail of shell and machine-gun fire and lost hundreds of brave fellows without ever reaching the enemy’s trench.

“Before we charged, Lieutenant Throssell said to us – “Boys, I am to lead you in a charge. It is the first time I have ever done such a thing, and if any man among you has any misgiving he may go with someone more experienced.” But not a man among us made a move.

“A few minutes afterwards we were facing that awful concentrated fire of rifle, machine-gun and artillery. When Lieutenant Throssell saw we could not get through he ordered us down, and we lay as flat as we could in the scanty cover of a little hollow. Presently a shell fell a little too near to us to be comfortable, and we got the word to retire.”

The statement by Lt Throssell that his troop had no casualties from the charge would seem to be substantiated by the absence of any men listed as killed or wounded from the likely members of “C” Troop. This would also seem to indicate that Lt Throssell had his troop already lying out in front of the fire trench and forward saps before the order was given to charge, and once that order was given he quickly put his men back to ground.

Neither Throssell or MacMillan give any indication of the fourth line following them out, and from what MacMillan mentions, it would appear that “C” Troop retired back into the forward trench before the fourth line on the right made its charge. If this were the case, with the members of this troop re-occupying No. 5 Sap and the firing line trench which was already holding many of the 8th LH survivors of the first and second lines, it goes a long way to explaining why there appears to have been no further advance out on the extreme right.

The three statements of, Capt Hore, Major Deeble and Lt Crawford, 8th LHR, from their respective positions on the right, centre and left of the front, give a picture of what happened to the men of the third line and the survivors of the 8th.
C.E.W. Bean relates the experience of Capt Leslie Hore as he took cover out in no mans land on the right. “In front of him, as he lay, was the swollen body of a Turk, killed apparently on June 30. Hore, who had so far only been tapped on the shoulder by a bullet, crept close into the shelter afforded by this corpse and lay waiting. He could see no other living man. It was useless to go forward; yet he could not stay on indefinitely where he was. Probing his conscience to discover his duty as an officer, he determined to wait until one of the other lines came up, so that he could go on with them. But, though he seemed to wait interminably, no other line came to him.” (He was apparently unaware that the third and fourth lines had charged. This would indicate that those on the right did not manage to advance any considerable distance before being cut down or immediately flinging themselves to ground.)
Bean goes on to state; “But as he lay he saw two brave men, first one and later another, run swiftly past him each quite alone, making straight for the Turkish rifles. Each, after continuing past him for a dozen yards, seemed to trip and fall headlong. They were undoubtedly the remnant of the two lines of the 10th Light Horse. A bullet struck him in the foot, rendering him useless for any further advance. He therefore began to edge back, inch by inch, to the Australian line. Before he withdrew, one Australian had crept up to him in no mans land and asked his officer’s advise as to what he should do. Hore told him to make his way back, if possible. Hore himself regained the trench, but the other man appears to have been killed.”

Major Arthur Deeble, C.O. “C” Sqdn, 8th LHR, in his report to the 3rd ALH Brigade H.Q. after the charge and recorded in the War Diary of the 3rd ALH Brigade, stated; “I determined to wait for the third line and sweep forward with them, this line was considerably late in starting, fully 25 minutes, and scarcely left our trench before being broken, and the few men with me managed to dash a yard or two forward before falling down. I threw myself a second time on the ground and prepared for any further lines, which might come forward.
Seeing one or two to my left whom I could make hear me, and who were the few alive, I told them to scratch a little cover to wait for the next line.”

Lt Andy Crawford of the 8th LHR states that he attempted to move on with the third line as they made their charge, but was wounded again and took cover. He states that those men of the 10th who reached his position managed to gain a few more yards before being checked. Lt Crawford also makes no mention of any further advance by the 10th after the third lines advance.

Tpr John Faulkner No. 61, ”A” Troop, “A” Sqdn, 8th LHR had also laid out under cover, although badly wounded, he began to edge his way back to the trenches when the Turkish fire had died done. He wrote: “I saw our second line of men leap forward into the tempest and then wilt away before a terrible hail of lead. The third line, made up of the 10th Light Horse, fared no better; running forward to meet death instantly. One of their sergeants was the only man to actually reach the Turkish trench and he jumped straight in, and fought and died like a hero. (Here we have another mystery of the charge. Who was this man?)

Peter Burness in his book, The Nek, (page 108/109) states that Major Love, 2 I.C. of the 10th LHR made an effort to find out what had happened to the men of the third line. He crawled out in front of the sap, where there was some protection, to see what could be done. He found Deeble of the 8th Light Horse, lying not far away, unable to move, and spoke briefly to him. Both officers agreed that it was quite impossible to advance against such firepower. Almost everyone else seemed dead or wounded, so Love made his way back. It is unclear what role Major Love played in the attack, but it would be fair to assume that he was supervising the fourth line of the regiment on the left flank. After the third line had charged and Major Todd had reported the situation back to Lt Col Brazier, where upon he had at about 5 a.m. again gone to Brigade Major Antill to try and have him call the attack off.
After being ordered to ‘Push On’ again, Brazier had made his way back to the front trench. Receiving the message from Major Scott, who was in command of the fourth line, that the third line had been shot away and the task could not be achieved, Brazier decided to find Brigadier Hughes and raise the matter with him.
Brazier, after searching out for the Brigadier, some time after 5.05 a.m., he reported to Hughes, who had taken up an observation post in one of the forward trenches, possibly at the head of sap No. 5 out on the extreme right of the line.
Brazier later told C. E. W. Bean; “As the fire was murderous, I again referred the matter personally to the Brigadier. I told him the whole thing was nothing but a ‘bloody murder’ to push on, and he said to get what men I could and go round by Bully Beef Sap and Monash Gully.”

Noel Brazier would later write: “The message was on a bit of pink paper. I took it back to Antill who refused to listen to me, and ordered me to push on again. I made him write it on the paper. On getting back to the trench again – only 15-20 yards – there was a similar message from Major Scott, on the right flank, asking for instructions. I would not go to Antill again as he had never left his trench, and looked for the Brigadier. After explaining the position and telling him it was murder to push on he said ‘Try Bully Beef Sap’!”

The men of the fourth line who were able to do so had moved forward to take up their positions in the front trenches as the third line left and waited for the signal to advance. Major Scott who was in command of the fourth line, “C” Sqdn and part of “B” Sqdn, had instructed his troop leaders to order the movement to charge with a wave of the hand, as the noise of the Turkish fire was too great to signal by word of mouth. It would appear that only “B” Troop, “C” Sqdn, and “C” & “D” Troops of “B” Sqdn were able to take up their positions for the charge, and did go out. As for the remaining three troops, “A”, “C” & “D” troops of “C” Sqdn, it is still unsure as to their actual positions on the left for the charge, although it is known that none of them went out. Major Kidd in his papers written after the charge has the four troops of “C” Sqdn occupying the Secret Sap and firing line, positioned as “D” Troop on the extreme left, then “C”, “B’ & “A” Troops, with the later manning the fire trench from the junction of No. 1 Sap to just past No. 2 Sap. Tpr Evan Bain No. 172, most probably in “C” Troop, “C” Sqdn gave the following information in the Western Mail: “I was in “C” Squadron, and can consider myself lucky, as only one troop out of “C” Squadron went over on that fateful morning at the Nek. That troop was led by Bill Lyall, who was wounded. A big percentage of his troop were killed. My troop leader was Paddy Hamlin. It was nerve racking waiting there for orders to go out, while the 8th Light Horse wounded dragged themselves back past us.”

At about 5.10 a.m. the Turkish fire had again died away and Major Scott had been waiting about ten minutes for Brazier to return from seeing Hughes, to find out what the decision was, and if the attack was to be stopped. As events transpired Brazier’s return with Brigadier Hughes decision would be too late.
Brigadier Hughes claimed he had ordered the attack across the Nek to be stopped and a new direction of advance via Monash Gully with the Royal Welch Fusiliers to be undertaken. It would appear that Brigade Major Antill was unaware of Brig Hughes new orders and was issuing orders for the attack to continue. The plan for the advance was that as soon as the 3rd Brigade had captured the front trenches at the Nek, two companies of the 8th Battalion Welch Fusiliers would advance up the head of Monash Gully between Russell’s Top and Pope’s, climb the slope on the right and commence a flank assault upon the Chessboard, joining up with the 3rd LH Brigade on the left and the 1st LH Brigade on the right from Pope’s Post.
Sgt Henry Nugent of the 8th LHR in the letter sent to his mother has the interesting comment of what he was ordered to do after he had regained the trench: “I was then sent to bomb a machine gun on our right, and dominating a valley through which the General intended to move a Battalion. I found that not one gun, but a dozen, dominated the valley. A bullet hit me in the hand and put me out of action.”
This would also appear to be another confirmation of Brigadier Hughes change of plan for the advance.
According to C.E.W.Bean, the 8th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers, with a party of engineers of the 71st Field Coy had filed down Bully Beef Sap from Russell’s Top at 3.30 a.m., just before dawn on the 7th. They had moved up Monash Valley and passed through the barbed wire at the farthest Anzac post. Here they waited under cover for word that the Turkish front line trenches had been taken by the Light Horse.
Lt Col Hay, the commanding officer of the 8th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers described his orders: “At 5.10 a.m. a message was received that the Australian Light Horse were holding the “A” line of trenches, and I was instructed to move forward at once.” He split his troops into two parties, one, “B” Company under Graham on the left, to attack the Turkish trenches at the head of Monash Gully and the other, “A” Company under Capt Walter Lloyd on the right, to advance on the Chessboard in a flanking move to join up with the 1st Light Horse Regiment attacking a hundred yards away to the east from Pope’s. “B” Company advanced up a steep head of Monash Gully.
Due to the steep terrain and dense undergrowth they could only advance in parties of ten men at a time, climbing up in single file. No sooner had the first party of “A” Company started to climb up they came under fire from the Turks, with bombs being thrown from the trench at the edge of the cliff face. C.E.W.Bean states: “The 1st Light Horse, watching from Pope’s, observed the Turks running forward from their trench, rolling bombs down the cliff-face. The leading men of the Fusiliers were blown back and, in falling, swept away those on the uncertain foothold below. The enemy, who seemed inclined to follow, were instantly stopped by the light horse snipers, who quickly picked off a score of them. But the task of climbing the washaway seemed hopeless, especially as the muzzles of two machine-guns could be seen protruding over the parapet.”

From the history of the Royal New South Wales Lancers, page 94, the following account is given of the advance: -
“The troops for its assault were to be the 8th and 10th Light Regiments of 3rd Australian Light Horse Brigade, assisted by the 8th Cheshires and also by the Royal Welch Fusiliers who from the head of Monash Valley would attack the nearer Turkish positions of the Chessboard, eventually connecting with the 1st L.H. from Pope’s.
The attack by the 1st L.H., which would be directed by Major T. W. Glasgow, commandant of Pope’s, was to be made by two squadrons, about 200 men. Instructions were to go over the top when the 8th L.H. left their trenches to attack on the left; no shots were to be fired and only bayonets to be used until the trenches were occupied. White patches were sewn on the backs of the men’s shirts so that mistakes could not occur in the dark. Rations and water were carried as it was hoped to push on.
The attack was gallantly led by Major J. M. Reid, of Tenterfield, who lost his life. The storming party reached the third line of trenches and held on for two hours, but the enemy attacked in great force and bombed the already thinned-out regiment back. (The ground contested had been fought over by the Royal Marines at the first landing and many of the bodies still remained in no-man’s-land.) The regiment lost heavily, viz.-15 killed, 98 wounded, 34 missing (mostly killed) , total 147. The casualties included all the officers of “B” Squadron; Major Reid’s and Lieutenant Nettleton’s bodies were not recovered; Captain Cox and Lieutenant Tinson died from their wounds a day later. The following officers were evacuated wounded: Captain Holman, Lieutenants Reid, Macmillan, Stewart, Weir, Harris and White.
Lieutenant Harris showed great gallantry in leading the advanced storming party, and, although wounded, remained in the foremost position until the retirement. The grit of the men when being carried to the beach was remarkable; some 3,000 passed through the dressing station that day, and boats in strings of four and five, towed by small tugs, took the wounded off to empty transports where accommodation for them was hastily improvised. Much suffering occurred on the voyage to Alexandria, and many wounds were septic by the time Cairo was reached.
There were many acts of gallantry performed on August 7, notably those of 566 Corporal T. J. Keys, 437 Trooper R. C. Tancred and 397 Trooper F. Barrow in carrying much-needed bombs to the forward party over ground swept by machine gun and rifle fire.” (The History of the RNSWL 1885 to 1995 by Vernon.)

The 8th Bn RWF War Diary states; “Steep slopes on both sides and thick with scrub. Casualties occurred at once and the men falling back knocked over the men coming up behind. Leading platoons of “B” Company sweeped with MG’s fire. Ordered to fall back and remain under cover in the Gully.”
”A” Company advanced up a steep washaway on the right and almost immediately at its starting point came under heavy machine gun fire. Capt Walter Lloyd was shot and killed, his subaltern next to him wounded, and every man in the first party being hit.
The Fusiliers met the same fire as the men of the 3rd Brigade had encountered and the attack failed. Lt Col Hay found that the advance could only be made in single file and that any attempt to renew it was at once met by the fire of a machine gun and by bomb-throwing, he abandoned the attack and reported to Brigade Headquarters that he was held up.

From the 3rd L.H. Bde War Diaries there are two message reports of the 8th RWF written by Lt Col Hay:

The first: -

“To H.Q. 3rd L.H.Bde. With reference to your message re manner of individuals for special mention I have none who exactly comes under the provision of your message but I should like to bring to notice the name of Captain Walter Lloyd (killed in action).

This officers Company was the one that suffered most severely on the left advance from machine gun fire & bombing – the whole of the leading platoon (including Captain Lloyd) being killed and wounded. I am therefore unable to any evidence as to the conduct of any individual, but Captain Lloyd was previous to the attack, leading his company as I personally saw him at the head of it & his body was subsequently found right in front with seven or eight others & I therefore consider that his name deserves for mention for gallant leadership when exposed to an extremely heavy fire.

Signed, A. Hay Lt Col, O.C 8th RW Fusiliers.”

The second: -

“Report of part taken by 8th R.W. Fusiliers in the operation of 7th August.

In accordance with Bde Order the Battalion (less 2 Companies attached to 1st L.H. Brigade) moved off at 3300 am & proceeded via Bully Beef Track to MONASH GULLY.

On arrival at the barbed wire barrier about 200 yards from the junction of BULLY BEEF TRACK & MONASH GULLY the column halted to allow the R.E. detachment to cut the wire & clear the road. After passing through the barrier the GULLY branches & according to my instructions already issued “A” Company proceeded up the right hand branch while “B” Company continued up the main Gully.

Owing to the narrow front & difficulties to be anticipated in climbing up the frontiers of the Gully

Companies had been directed to send their men forward in parties of 10 at a time – 4 as bombers, carriers and lighters & the other 6 as bayonet men. Companies moved up their respective routes to as far as they could with safety while the bombardment from 4.0 to 4.30 was in progress.

At 5.19 a.m. a message was received that the A.L.H. were holding the “A” line of trenches & I was instructed to move forward at once. My intention was that “B” Coy should proceed to the head of the Gully & work along C6a, while “A” Coy was to get the trench at the junction of C6a & C6b & work along to the right.

I proceeded with “A” Company & almost as soon as the leading party of 10 men had commenced to move bombs were thrown at them over the top of the parapet & the muzzles of 2 machine guns could be clearly seen. Casualties occurred at once & the men in falling swept men who were coming up off their feet as the surface of the ground was loose earth. Bombs continued to be thrown & owing to the presence of the machine guns I considered an advance that way impractible.

I therefore proceeded up the other route taken by “B” Coy. Here I also found that the advance had been checked. The head of the company come under heavy machine gun fire almost at once, the Coy Commander had been killed, the subaltern with the first platoon wounded & the whole of the first two parties of 10 men killed or wounded.

A fresh attempt to advance was made but on the least movement on our part the machine gun opened fire & in addition bombs were sent down from the trench. I therefore considered it was impossible to attempt an advance, especially as owing to the thick scrub any advance could only be made in single file.

The check was reported to G.H.Q. & instructions were shortly afterwards received to remain under cover & await orders. The Battalion remained in the Gully until 6.45 p.m. when it returned to Bivouac.

Signed, A. Hay Lieut Col

8th R.W. Fusiliers”

The 8th Bn RWF War Diary also states that Capt W. Lloyd KIA. 4 officers and 61 men killed or wounded.
Killed in Action, Charge at the NEK, Russell’s Top, Walker’s Ridge and Monash Gully 7th August 1915.

8th ROYAL WELCH FUSILIERS
Captain Walter LLOYD ‘B’ Company. M.I.D. Age 41.
Pte T. BROSTER No. 11882. Age 36.
Pte F. J. COOMBS No. 12516. Age 24.
Pte J. C. HARDING No. 11884. Age 39.
Pte George HARNEY No. 12376. Age 35.
Pte Alfred HICKINBOTHAM No. 19746.
Pte R. J. HUGHES No. 13175.
Pte Randall Foulkes MORRIS No. 11895. Age 23.
L/Cpl Douglas ROGERS No. 12785. ‘B’ Coy. Age 24.
Pte William John SMITH No. 12684. Age 24.
Sgt W. B. WILLIAMS No. 11910. Age 21.

8th CHESHIRE REGIMENT

Company SM George HARP No.6089 (DOW 7/8/15).                                                                           Pte William LEE No. 2242 (No know grave, Heller Memorial)                                                               Pte   Ernest POLLITT No. 413 (12731) (8/8/15 Ari Burnu Cemetery, ANZAC)                                    Pte Fred SKINNER No. 131 (12561) 8/8/15 (NKG Helles Memorial)       

At this point it is stated the Brigadier (Hughes) diverted two companies of the 8th Cheshire Regiment down the Bully Beef Sap into Monash Gully to support the Royal Welch Fusiliers, but they did not advance as the attack had failed. Both companies moved back up onto Russell’s Top on the evening of the 7th.
It would appear that total confusion was now in force, as differing orders for the cancellation or continuation of the advance would appear to have been coming from the two different positions on Russell’s Top. By the account of the situation at this time it would appear that Col Hughes was unaware of the failed attempt of the Welch Fusiliers in Monash Gully and had come to the conclusion that any further advance against the Nek could not succeed, had given orders for the attack to be called off and the survivors to go down into Monash Gully to assist the Royal Welch Fusiliers.
It would also appear that he might have been aware of the report that some of the men of the 8th had occupied the Turkish trench out on the right, although he later claimed no knowledge of it. It is probable that Lt Col Brazier may have raised it, but as related, he would have probably dismissed the probability of it being true.
After the war, Hughes in a letter to C. E. W. Bean, claimed that he had stopped the attack after the second line had gone out. He also implied that Brazier was responsible for the continuation of the attack and the loss of the third line. With Brazier not being at his position in the front trench when Hughes claims to have forwarded the orders to stop the advance, he implies that Brazier committed the third line to the attack against his orders. He stated to Bean; “as the runner was unable to find anyone to deliver the orders to.” It is clear that his orders were not forwarded to Antill and it is unclear as to just who this runner was to pass the order to. It is also obvious that the order was not relayed to any of the Staff Officers controlling the movement forward of each of the lines. Antill also related to Bean after the war, his account regarding the issuing of the order for the attack to be stopped. He wrote; “After the zero whistle had blown, no further orders were issued until the attack had been abandoned. The Brigadier was on the spot himself, and if an order were given, or to be given, it was he, and he alone competent to give it. But no such order was given.” The fact that Brazier, Love and Todd all reported the failure of the attack to Hughes, after the third line had advanced, would seem to be at odds with Hughes assertion that he had already called the attack off. It is even harder to understand, if he had already done so, why this had not been relayed to Antill, who despite his assertion that no further orders were issued, continued to order the advance of the third and fourth lines.

There are so many unanswered questions here. If as he claims, why did he the Brigadier order the 8th Royal Welch Fusiliers to attack if he had no knowledge of the signal flags and the occupying of the Turkish A1 trench? The signal S.C. 329 7/August/15 sent to the G.O.C. N.Z.&A.Div at Anzac Cove by Brigadier Hughes also puts his statement to C.E.W. Bean as wrong in fact. Here he clearly indicates that he ordered the attack on the Nek to be called off after the third line had advanced, then redirected the survivors of the 8th & 10th regiments to join the 8th Cheshire regiment and advance with the 8th Royal Welch Fusiliers.

That signal reads as follows:

“Despatch on Operations 6/7 August 1915

No. 4 Section, Russell's Top

I have the honor to report that in compliance with the Operation Orders contained in Divisional Order 11 and subsequent instructions, the dispositions of the Force under my command were accordingly prepared and every possible effort made to carry out the task assigned to me. (My Op” Orders (Operational Orders) have already been submitted to you.)

The Navy and Artillery shelled the Nek and Chessboard from 0400 to 0430 with increasing rapidity. From 0420 very heavy rifle fire and incessant MG Fire continued from the whole of the positions in front without intermission.
At precisely 0430 the 1st Line, followed by the 2nd (8th LH) jumped out of the saps and trenches in the face of an overwhelming rifle and MG fire, our position having been heavily shelled up to midnight.
The fire was so deadly that only a few of the 1st Line on our extreme right reached the enemy trenches. This and the other two lines were almost decimated, so much so that I withdrew the few who were not shot down and sent them with the Cheshire Infantry Battalion to support two companies of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers detailed to attack the "C" Trenches via Monash Gully. The Royal Welsh Fusiliers soon after opening their attack were held up by heavy MG and bomb fire and could make no headway. After persevering until 0730 it was found impossible to break through or make any impression on the Turk's defences.
Units were then collected and dispositions made to resist any possible counter attack.
In my mind the whole of the enemy's trenches are fully manned and the position bristles with MGuns, a few of which only had been located.
In my opinion the position is impossible to capture by frontal attack.
The casualties are heavy so far as can be gathered. 410 out of about double the number who took part in the assault. Of these, 16 out of 18 Officers of the 8th ALH were casualties.
I desire to bring under your special notice the gallant conduct of Lieutenant Colonel AH White, CO 8th LH Regiment who notwithstanding he had only partially recovered from a shell head wound received on June 30th, took command of the 1st assaulting line and insisted on leading his men in the face of the heavy MG fire and is reported to have fallen before the trenches were reached. This cool and gallant conduct was one fo the finest examples of leadership that could possibly be imagined. Many of his men fell before they left their own parapets. It is with the deepest regret that I have to report the death of Lieutenant Colonel Miell, CO 9th ALH Regiment. He was a keen energetic soldier who always did his duty well and conscientiously. I cannot refrain also from referring to the splendid behaviour and discipline of the troops who charged forward so bravely in the face of such overwhelming and heavy bomb and MG fire.
All honour to those men who did their best for King and Empire.
In conclusion may I express my appreciation of the gallant services of the officers and men of the 2nd Cheshire Battalion and the 8th Royal Welsh Fusiliers Battalion.
I must also record the very valued assistance I have received from my Brigade Major Lieutenant Colonel JM Antill CB, whose keen and energetic services have always been of most value to me.
I intend to bring under your notice in a subsequent report some of those instances of gallantry which are being brought under my immediate notice.”

Who actually did relay the order to advance to Col Hay, C.O. RWF? He claims it was from 3rd Brigade HQ, but Col Hughes claims to have issued the order. Antill makes no mention of issuing such an order. Furthermore, how was the order transmitted; by runner, by phone, or signal? Questions we shall probably never find an answer for!

With Lt Col Brazier still in discussion with Brigadier Hughes in the trench somewhere behind the centre of the line, Major Reynell of the 9th LHR was urging Brigade Major Antill to continue the attack. He later wrote: “I felt so strongly that it could get forward that I reported to the Brigade Major that if he gave me authority to do so I would guarantee to get the trenches with the men of the 8th and 10th that were there. However an order was sent to them to rush the trenches but officers on the spot considered it impossible and they were withdrawn.” [C. Reynell, Diary. AWM PR86/368]
C. E. W. Bean confirms this in the Story of Anzac, where he states; “It was known to the troop leaders, but not the men, that the stopping of the assault was under discussion, when at 5.15 a.m. there appears to have come to the right of the line some officer who had possibly heard of the first decision of brigade headquarters, and who asked the men why they had not gone forward.”
It would appear that who ever this officer was, he had spoken to Capt Rowan with regard of the fourth lines failure to advance, as set out in the 3rd Brigades orders for the assault on the Turkish positions at the Nek. It is most probable, with the confusion and tension of waiting for the outcome of Braziers discussions with headquarters, that Capt Rowan took this as an order for the continuation of the advance, although the evidence of Reynell would indicate that the order to advance was actually sent.

THE FOURTH LINE

Commanded by Major John Burns Scott, C.O. “C” Sqdn, with this line being made up of the four troops of “C” Sqdn and the other half of “B” Sqdn, “C” & “D” Troops.

The Fourth Line, Left

The left was under the command of Temp Capt Herbert B. Hamlin, 2 I.C. “C” Sqdn. (Vice Capt S. E. B. Grimwood). He had command of the three troops manning the trenches from C to B.

2nd Lt Hugh MacDonald, C.O. 5th Reinf’s, “D” Troop, “C” Sqdn. Allotted position of the 20 men of this Troop for charge, Secret Sap C to P. The troop had waited in the communication trench O to Y, its movement forward was to be by Y to C, then C to P. It is unclear if “D” Troop had actually formed up in the Secret Sap by the time the left of the line went out. This troop did not charge.

T/2nd Lt Irwin Carleton Burges, “C” Troop, “C” Sqdn. (1/8/15. Vice Lt Olden, WIA) Allotted position for charge, Secret Sap P to M, having waited in the communication trench L to O, and then moving into position via O to P.

This Troop had no got totally into position for the charge when orders to stand down were delivered.

Cpl Henry Foss No. 404 who was in “C” Troop, “C” Sqdn that was in the reserve trench from the communication trench, ‘L’ – ‘O’ behind the secret sap, and were unable to get into position in time, has left a description of the movement of “D” Troop.

He stated: “About 3 o’clock in the morning they roused us. I had slept fairly considering, but did not feel fresh. After about half an hour we commenced filing into position. The front line was to go from a secret sap in front on the left, while on the right they were to go from the firing line. My troop sat down in a fire trench waiting orders, while “D” Troop of “A” Squadron filed past us. I spoke to Gres Harper and Wilfred, Bob Lukin, Hassell, and Geoff Lukin, and some others I knew.

They were cheery and confident, and soon passed on. We made a fresh move forward. The artillery fire had ceased and a few minutes later a terrific burst of fire (mainly machine gun) told us our first line had gone. There was a short lull of scattered fire and then another burst more furious than the first signalled the second line had moved. Blocks ahead made our progress slow, and we found the bottom of the trench fairly littered with wounded men trying to get back for aid. With difficulty we passed them only to be blocked again, and word came back that some of the 8th LH were in the trench in front. A third burst of fire, followed soon by a fourth and fifth, told us our chaps were still moving. The machine gun fire was terrific, and I have never heard anything like it before or since. The bullets came like hail, literally mowing off the scrub, and, as I heard afterwards, towards the last our chaps only got a few yards from our trenches before they were down. Still we were blocked. A few men trickled past belonging to the 8th LH and told us they were the survivors of a troop. A few minutes later came the order “about turn”, and we filed out again.” [H. Foss, Diary. AWM 1 DRL 298]

“B” Troop, “C” Sqdn. The commander of this troop was Temp Capt Herbert B. Hamlin

The 25 men of this Troop occupied the Secret Sap from M to B, having moved into position via Q to L, then L to M.

Fourth Line, Right

The right commanded by Capt Andrew Percival Rowan, “C” Sqdn.

He had command of the three troops on the right from the frontage ‘B’ to ‘A’. He signalled for the men to charge with a wave of his hand and as he climbed out of the trench was instantly hit by bullets through the head and chest, falling dead from the parapet back into the trench.

In a Red Cross Information Bureau, Missing and Wounded Statement of the 20-8-1915, Sgt Frank Eric (Ric) Throssell stated that he saw Capt Rowan die whilst being attended to by Cpl Moore.

C. E. W. Bean noted in his Gallipoli dairy:

“Rowan was killed on the parapet - body recovered at once. Turnbull (Rhodes Scholar), Roskams and Lyall got stars night before.” (Bean diary No.32 p 6. ML MSS 159).

“As Rowan moved to Sanderson, Sanderson saw him get up and fall back (dead into the trench as Sanderson later found). Tpr Weston just on Sanderson’s right (Sanderson was troop Sergt.) fell right beside Sanderson as they got out of the trench - back into the trench. Tpr Begg also next him [sic].

Sanderson went all he could for the T. trench. Tpr P.H. Hill running beside him towards the trench was shot through the stomach and spun around and fell. Sanderson tripped over a Rhodo. bush and fell over a dead Turk right on the T. parapet. There were 2 dead men to the right of Sanderson towards the top of the hill, lying on the T. parapet. They looked like the Harper brothers Wilfred and Gresley Harper.”

(Bean, diaries, No. 223 p 9).

“A” Troop, “C” Sqdn commanded by T/2nd Lt William McIntosh Lyall, (1/8/15. Vice Lt Neil Campbell, WIA). This troop of 35 men taking up position in the firing line from B to X.

“A” Troop had only just filed into position when the order to charge was given by Capt Rowan.

Lt Lyall was the first man out leading his Troop, he was slightly wounded but managed to later regain the safety of the trenches with about 8 of his men.

Tpr Sid Livesey No. 433: “The time for us to charge was not that far off now and we began to get ready. Some had to carry picks and shovels and some had bombs. I was one of the bomb-throwers, and I had two haversacks with five bombs in each, besides my rifle and 225 rounds of ammunition and food and water for 24 hours.  The 8th Light Horse had to go first, and the 10th was to follow. The 8th Light Horse was already in the trenches waiting for the word to go and we were just behind them. And the Turks were throwing bombs from a trench mortar in among us. It was terrible. We were so closely packed in the trenches that men could not get away from a bomb after it fell. Well, 4.30 a.m. came and the 8th Light Horse jumped out of the trench and rushed straight for the enemy. They did not get far. The Turks were waiting for us and they opened a terrible fire with machine guns, rifles, and bombs, and shrapnel; it was hell on earth. No man could get through it. The first line got cut down, and the second got the same reception. Then the third line went to their doom, and then the fourth. I was in the fourth line, and I thought it would be the last line I would ever be in. I knew only a miracle could save a man there. We just got in the firing line, and we got the word to go. And our officer, Jim (Bill) Lyle (sic), was the first man out.

We scrambled out of the trench and rushed towards the enemy but half of the men were down before we got a dozen yards. And our officer cried out “it’s no use; get down lads” and we dropped on our faces. We got the order to get back the best way we could. It was like a dust storm. You could not tell who a man was 10ft., away from you. I turned my head around to see the best way back and I could see the bullets hitting the ground all around me so I stayed where I was for about 10 minutes till the fire died down a bit. I was expecting a bullet to hit one of my bombs any moment and blow me to glory or somewhere else. I wished those bombs anywhere but around my neck. When the fire eased off a bit I crawled slowly towards our trench. When I got within 6ft., I made a rush on all fours and tumbled head first into the trench. The trench was in a terrible state; dead and wounded men lying everywhere. Some were lying dead half out and half in the trench, some got a yard away, some got more, some were killed trying to get out. About 10 yards away from our trench they were lying in rows and heaps. It was awful.

We could not get many of the poor chaps in and they had to stay there and rot. Most of them were never buried, unless the Turks buried them after the evacuation. Billy Blake got killed and Neil Conway got a few splashes of lead in his arm and hand, but it was not much.

Mr A. Y. Hassell’s son Humphry (sic) was killed in that charge. Our losses were 83 killed and 85 wounded. The 8th Light Horse suffered worse than us. They lost over 250 killed and wounded.”

The known and possible members of this troop were:

SSM Duncan Farquhar Grant BAIN No. 364. (KIA)

Tpr Richard Henry BESSEN No. 370. (WIA)

Tpr William BLAKE No. 372. (KIA)

Tpr Frederick John BUNCE No. 379. (KIA)

Cpl Denis DuVAL No. 394. (KIA)

Tpr Alfred Wyndam FIELDS No. 399. (WIA) 

Cpl Richard Andrew FORBES No. 403. (KIA)

Sgt John Alexander GOLLAN No. 409. (WIA) (DOW 30/8/15 Egypt)

Tpr Sydney Claude LIVESEY No. 433.

L/Cpl Alfred John McCLUSKY No. 450. (KIA)

Tpr Herbert Angelo POPE No. 631. (KIA)

Tpr John VANCE No. 641. (WIA)

Tpr Andrew John WALKER No. 642. (WIA)

Tpr James Percival CAMERON No. 937. (KIA)

“D” Troop, “B” Sqdn commanded by Lieut. Leslie Craig. 20 men from X to H.

Lt L. Craig had his foot shot away as he led his men out. He was later rescued and brought back into the trench by L/Cpl W. Hampshire.

Lt Col Olden. A.C.N. in his book “WESTRALIAN CAVALRY IN THE WAR” Chapter VIII, GALLIPOLI - RUSSELL'S TOP, has this account of the incident:

“Russell's Top was not an occasion where one might single out special acts of gallantry in the Regiment. Many have expressed the opinion that “Each man who went over that day deserved the V.C.” But perhaps the splendid heroism of Lance-Corporal Hampshire may be recounted here.

His troop leader, Lieut. Leslie Craig, was very severely wounded whilst leading his troops into action, and lay helpless in “No Man’s Land.” Hampshire, after discovering that his officer was still alive, immediately jumped over the parapet of the trench to which he himself had safely returned, and under a withering fire carried Lieut Craig back to cover. It was an act of utmost bravery, performed in perfect sang froid, and coupled with a miraculous escape for both.”

C. E. W. Bean states that Sgt Sanderson saw Capt Rowan sign to them to go, at the same time rising himself and waving his hand, only to fall back dead from the parapet. Sanderson repeated the signal and the men in the centre sprang out. Sgt Sanderson’s account has been recorded by Bean in the Story of Anzac.

“The rhododendron bushes had been cut off with machine-gun fire and were all spiky. The Turks were two-deep in the trench ahead. There was at least one machine-gun on the left and any number in the various trenches on the Chessboard. The men who were going out were absolutely certain that they were going to be killed, and they expected to be killed right away. The thing that struck a man most was if he wasn’t knocked in the first three yards. Tpr (F. H.)Weston (No. 357), on Sanderson’s right, fell beside him as they got out of the trench. Tpr (J. T.) Biggs (No. 240) also fell next to him. Sanderson went all he could for the Turkish trench. Tpr H. G. Hill, (No. 283) running beside him, was shot through the stomach, spun around and fell. Sanderson saw the Turks (close) in front and looked over his shoulder. Four men were running about ten yards behind, and they all dropped at the same moment. He tripped over a rhododendron bush and fell over a dead Turk right on the Turkish parapet. ‘The Turks were then throwing round cricket-ball bombs, you could see the brown arms coming over the trenches’.

The bombs were going well over, only one blew back and hit him slightly in the leg. There were two dead men to the right towards the top of the hill, lying on the Turkish parapet, they looked like the Harper brothers. Sanderson knew how badly the show had gone. He managed to get his rifle beside him and clean it, and got the first cartridge from a full magazine into the barrel. He expected the Turks to counter-attack, and decided to get a few shots if they did.

After about half an hour, looking back, he saw Capt Fry (of his regiment) kneeling up outside the ‘secret sap’. Sanderson waved to him, and Fry saw him. The Turks were not up (i.e., lining their parapet) at this moment, because the navy had begun to bombard, and lyddite shells were whizzing low over the parapet and exploding on the back of the trench, so close that they seemed to lift Sanderson off the ground every time, he was sure the first short would finish him. Major Todd (who had survived from the third line) came along beside Fry and presently shouted something which seemed to be:

“Retire the fourth line first.”

Sanderson looked around. There was none beside him except the dead. He crawled towards the secret sap, about halfway there was an 8th LH man, lying on his back smoking. (most probably Tpr Martin O’Donoghue “C” Troop, “B” Sqdn, 8th L.H. Regt.) He said: “Have a cigarette; it’s too bloody hot.” Sanderson told him to get back and keep low, as machine-guns were firing from across on the Chessboard and cutting the bushes pretty low. There was a lieutenant of the 8th LH there who had had some bombs in his haversack. These had been set off and the whole of his hip blown away. He was alive and they tried to take him in. He begged them to let him stay. “I can’t bloody well stand it,” he said. They got him into the secret sap, and he died there as they got him in. (O’Donoghue & Lawry, 8th L.H. Regt.) In front of the secret sap were any number of the 8th LH. The sap itself was full of dead. There were very few wounded, the ground in front of the trenches was simply covered. Sanderson went along the secret sap into the front line and there saw (dead) Capt Rowan, Weston and another Hill (A. H. Hill No. 292) and Lieut Turnbull just dying then. About fifty yards of the line had not a man in it except the dead and wounded, no one was manning it.”

Tpr McNEILL HENRY GEORGE, Trooper, No. 735, 2nd Reinforcements, was possibly a member of this troop. A comrade wrote: “It was on the morning of 7 Aug. when our unlucky regt. and another charged from Walker's Ridge and almost all got wiped out. When we had to retire back to the trenches that we started from, I looked for your son and to my sorrow could see him lying a few yards out. I watched him for a few minutes and could not see him move. I knew that he had given his life doing his bit. We could not get him in until it got dark, as it was only 50 yards off the Turkish trenches and it was death to show your head over the trench. But that night we got him and several more in and carried them down to our medical station. We could not bury them that night, as we could not he spared from the firing line for long, but the next night we carried your son down and gave him a decent burial, our Army Chaplain (Wakeham) reading the burial service and saying a short prayer. We mounded his grave up with stones and put a small wooden cross at the head of it with his name and regt. on it.”

Buried at Ari Burnu Cemetery. (The Nek, A Gallipoli Tragedy, Peter Burness, page 128, ref – The Roll of Honour, London Stamp Exchange Ltd London, page 239.)

The known and possible members of this troop were:

SSM John SPRINGALL No. 212. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Sgt William SANDERSON No. 219. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Sgt Colin Hendrie MacBEAN No. 220. “D” Troop.

Tpr Arthur John Thomas BIGGS No. 240. “D” Troop.

Tpr Thomas BUCKINGHAM No. 244. WIA. (DOW 10/8/15) “D” Troop.

Tpr James Herbert CANNON No. 249. “D” Troop.

Tpr Harry CORKER No. 252. WIA. (DOW 22/8/15) “D” Troop.

Tpr Henry George HILL No. 283. WIA. (DOW 11/8/15) “D” Troop.

Tpr Arthur Henry HILL No. 292. “D” Troop. (KIA)

L/Cpl William John HAMPSHIRE No. 293. “D” Troop.

Tpr Herbert Edward MUNDY No. 305. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr William Henry MASON No. 307. “D” Troop. (WIA) (DOW 9/8/15)

Tpr John Abington MacLEOD No. 318. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Daniel PEARCE No. 322. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr George Maynard PARKINSON No. 324. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Arthur Albert PEARSON No. 325. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Arthur Thomas PITTS No. 327. “D” Troop. (KIA) (Bomber)

Tpr Alexander RAE No. 331. “D” Troop. (WIA) (DOW 7/8/15)

Tpr Charles Archibald ROBINSON No. 333. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Harold ROACH No. 335. “D” Troop. (WIA)

Tpr Fred Eric SCHMIDT No. 343. (WIA)

Tpr Frederick Harold WESTON No. 357. “D” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Henry George McNEILL, No. 735, 2nd Reinforcements (KIA)

Tpr Leyshon VILLIS No. 748. “D” Troop. “B” Sqdn. (KIA)

“C” Troop, “B” Sqdn commanded by 2nd Lt Alexander Phipps Turnbull, (Vice 2nd Lt Ernest C. G. Scott, KIA 19/7/15). This troop of 20 men manning the line from H to A, but it would appear that they launched their charge from No. 5 Sap.

The 10th LH Routine Order No. 74 of the 5th August has 2nd Lt Alexander Phipps Turnbull appointed to “A” Sqdn, dating from the 1st August, but he does not fit into the known troop structure of “A” Sqdn for the charge. It is possible that the posting of Lt Throssell to the squadron saw Lt Turnbull allocated to “B” Sqdn for the charge. He was fatally wounded as he left the trench. He was got back into the trench but died on the floor at about 7 a.m., and buried at Ari Burnu Cemetery.

The known and possible members of this troop:

Sgt John Andrew SCOTT No. 226. “C” Troop. (KIA)

Sgt Frank Albert RAWLINGS No. 231. “C” Troop. (KIA)

Tpr Stanley Gordon ANDREWS No. 234. “C” Troop.

Tpr William John BAKER No. 235. “C” Troop. (WIA)

A few minutes after the men of the fourth line had charged the Turkish fire again began to subside, and those men who were able to regain the safety of the trenches scrambled back. The men of the 8th and 10th who had survived further out in no-man-land hugged what little protection they had, daring not to move for fear of being shot.
At this point Major Love again climbed out of the trench at what would appear to have been somewhere between the Whispering Tunnel and the start of the Secret Sap. He managed to get out to Major Todd and close to Major McLaurin of the 8th and after some discussion they all agreed that any further advance was impossible. Love and Todd inched their way back to the trench and apparently endeavoured to try and find Col Brazier. As other witnesses have related, movement through the front trenches was extremely difficult due to the number of dead and wounded, and they were unsuccessful in locating Brazier, so set off to find Col Hughes. It is apparent that while Love and Todd were making for Hughes, Brazier was making his way back from reporting to him.
Brazier later stated; “On returning to his position the C.O. 10th, (Lt Col Brazier) upon enquiry, was informed that every one had gone over. At the same time an officer from a company of Royal Engineers came up and said he was instructed to go into attack and what would he do. C.O. 10th Regiment told him he was not to proceed any further and that he, C.O. 10th, would accept all responsibility. Later in the morning the officer of the R.E. thanked the C.O. 10th for saving his men.”
When Majors’ Love and Todd reached Hughes they saw that he was ‘clearly rattled’ by the total failure of the attack and they outlined the impossibility of any further advance. Col Hughes instructed them to gather the surviving men of the 8th and 10th, and go round by Bully Beef Sap to support the Welch Fusiliers, the same orders he had given to Lt Col Brazier only a short time before. It would appear that Col Hughes was quickly convinced of the futility of any further advance on the Turkish positions and gave the order to retire.
Love and Todd made their way back to the front trench, where upon reaching there, set to work to withdraw the surviving troops from out in front.
It is difficult to put accurate timings to these various movements from the time part of the fourth line broke away at 5.15 a.m., but by all accounts it was around 5.30 a.m. when Capt Fry and Major Todd crawled out in front of the Secret sap and Todd gave the order, “retire the fourth line first’.
Lt Col Brazier would appear to have been aware that the attack had been called off before the fourth line broke away, but what orders to this effect he issued is still unknown.

Colonel Hughes after the war maintained that he had been trying to contact Brazier, he wrote: “The time for the waves to advance was given by two staff officers on the right and centre respectively and by regimental commander on the left flank. The staff officers received instructions to stop the third line, but owing to the regimental commander having left his post some confusion arose, as the runner was unable to find anyone to deliver the orders to. That section of the third line went forward and a few seconds later it practically ceased to exist. The enemy’s fire was still devastating and the advance came to an end.”
This statement seems to be totally at odds with all other accounts of what actually transpired.
Lt Col Brazier was convinced that he and the few men with him were all that was left of the regiment. He took up a periscope to observe the Turkish lines, fearing they would launch a counter attack. All he could see were the crumpled, bloodied khaki bodies of the dead and dying lying between the two opposing lines. Fortunately the Turks did not attempt to rush the Australian lines; it would appear that their focus was on getting reinforcements out to help defend the Chunuk Bair positions, as well as taking cover from the bombardment upon their trenches from the cruisers out off Anzac Cove.

He then sent a runner back to headquarters with a written report outlining that the trenches around him were empty and needed filling urgently in case of a counter attack by the Turks. Soon after a message was sent back to him stating; “Keep on observing.”
He later stated; “Meanwhile I remained observing in No. 8 Sap, and at 5.35 Lieut Lyall and 8 men of the 10th and some men of the 8th, returned to No. 8 Sap and reported that no one had reached the Turk’s trenches. Reported at 5.40 after observing again (presumably to Col Hughes), and held on here till relieved. The 9th finally entered the trenches and it was not till then and after I had told the engineers who were to go over also that it was futile to lose any more men, that I learned that both Todd and Scott had enough brains to hang on to their men as they had received no further orders from me. Todd’s men were partly protected and he withdrew them and some of Scott’s were killed and wounded before he stopped them. In the meantime Todd had been told by Hughes to try Bully Beef Sap!”
Major Deeble stated that; “At 6.05 I received word to join the 10th Reg. to reform. I wriggled back to the trenches and a few around me of small parties that were dropped in to almost impenetrable depressions got back.”
Major McLaurin upon receiving the word to retire, ordered the survivors of the 8th out on the left to begin making their way back to the trenches one line at a time. He remained out undercover until he was satisfied that all who could get back had done so, and was the last man on the left to retire back into the front trench. On the right of the line the only officer of the 8th left alive was Capt Hore, who was out in no mans land half way between the two lines, and one of the few not dead or badly wounded. He like Sgt Sanderson of the 10th began to slowly edge his way back when the Turkish fire had subsided and the Navy had begun to bombard the Turkish front trenches again at about 7a.m. It is unclear if any order to retire was sent out to the survivors on the right of the line, although Sgt John MacMillan of Lt Throssell’s “C” Troop states that they got the order to retire, but as to who issued that order is unknown, and it would appear that in this case it was before the fourth line advanced.
From 7 a.m. to 9.30 a.m. the Royal Navy cruisers “HMS Bacchante and HMS Endymion” standing off Anzac Cove, put down an intensive bombardment on to the Turkish trenches on the seaward slopes of Baby 700 and Battleship Hill. This fire was an attempt to stop the transfer of Turkish reserves that had been observed moving across the trenches on Baby 700 to reinforce the forces at Chunuk Bair, after the fighting at the Nek had subsided. It is evident that the bombardment had begun prior to 7 a.m. as reported by Sgt Sanderson and probably began to build in intensity as the movement of the Turkish reserves was observed.
Major Lachie McGrath in his history of the 8th, states the situation after the 10th LHR had made their charge and the order was received to retire: “After 20 minutes, the fire started to slacken gradually, though the enemy 75’s put in a terrific hail of high explosive at 500 yards range. Those nearest our trenches made their effort to get back, chancing almost certain death in doing so, as it was now becoming quite light.
For those able to run, the risk was soon over, but many of the wounded could only crawl or pull themselves along by their arms. One boy hopped in, his foot hanging by a sinew. He was laughing as he fell into friendly arms, and was still full of pluck. They lopped his foot off a few minutes after, at the clearing station, but he got home to Australia alright.
Those nearer to the enemy were in a terrible plight. The slightest movement of hand or foot brought a hail fire at them, and in this way many a poor fellow, moving in his agony, suffered death. Two men were out all day, in the burning sun and heat, getting back to our trenches at midnight. Our men in the trenches had been warned to be on the lookout for such as these, so they got in safely. Their experiences during that day were awful. They lay all day with their backs to the scorching sun, unable to move, as they knew that the enemy were constantly sniping the wounded as they moved on side. Unable to lift their heads, the flies and vermin from the dead bodies crawled up their nostrils and in their ears. They could hear the Turks conversing quite plainly, and could also hear our own people trying to get in wounded by means of grappling irons.”
Sgt Ashburner of the 9th LH from his position at Turk’s Point has left an account of the scene after the fighting had subsided. He could see the dead and wounded lying out in no-mans-land, the scaling ladders that had been dropped by the first party, men trying to drink out of water bottles and raising their arms, but with in three to four hours they all seemed to be dead.

The R.M.O. Dr Frank Beamish in his letter of the 15th August opened with this statement: “There has been heavy fighting at Anzac, attended by very heavy Australian casualties. The poor old Third Light Horse Brigade has practically ceased to exist – reduced in a few hours from 1600 to about 250 sound men; Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Regiments, Field Ambulance and Brigade Train all included. Of these the great majority were killed outright. The Turks used bombs, machine guns, and shells on our wounded as they lay. Before starting work our bearers lost seven men out of 37 in the first half hour of an awful night – two killed and one very badly wounded.”

Major McGrath in his history of the 8th LH states; “By 8 a.m., it seemed evident that all of the Regiment left alive were now in the trenches, that is excepting the wounded who were being hastily attended to at the rear and then sent down to the beach. Many of the men were quite dazed, and efforts were made to get them out to a ledge on the cliff face, to hold a roll call. After some time, this was done and the scene there was very heart-rendering. The casualty list of that day tells only too plainly, the horror of it all. 13 officers and 157 other ranks were killed, and 4 officers and 81 other ranks were wounded. Many of the men on the cliff face were so shaken, that they were almost helpless, and the evacuations during the ensuing days, from shock were heart breaking. After roll call and a scrap meal, we were put in some old gun pits near by, and given a couple of hours spell. A large number had minor wounds, which were never reported.”

Hi Jeff

Well a pretty compelling and comprehensive account, most of which I agree with. I still think Vernon Piesse was on the left in the third line and perhaps took Sgt MacBean with him. Chaplain Makeham's letter to Piesse's brother indicated him on the left, but that was all I had to go on, that and Kidd's stuff. I was chuffed we could sort Throssell out and Maitland Hoops and his account helped also. I could only surmise on some of C Sqdn troop officers, but is was clear only Lyall's troop fully charged. As for the bombers, that still remains not properly accounted for but I think Jackson went out on the right, but what line I don't know. Sid Livesey claimed he was C troop, C sqdn but went out as a bomber in Lyall's A troop. Archie Crowe was C troop, C Sqdn also and charged as a bomber as well. We have to remember as evidenced by the Gillam brothers, both of C troop, C sqdn, that a mining party of 76 men and some were likely spared the charge after coming off duty prior, and the Gillams assisted in carrying wounded down. All in all, the narrative has been well enhanced and it was great working with you and a few others to try and solve it. I am sure more will pop up over time, but in the meantime it's probably as close as we can currently get. Thanks for all the help! Could not have done it without you.

Ian

Mates,

Yes great.

But I am still confussed by the Bombing sections formed by the LH Sqn's pre August 1915.

The 1st LHR in its charge also shows the same problems

Lt Tinson bombing officer A Sqn 1st LHR

Also shown as Troop officer A Troop A Sqn

And

Lt Harris bombing officer B Sqn 1st LHR

Also shown Troop officer C Troop B Sqn

While I have not found a Bombing officer for C Sqn, this Sqn provided men for the charge?

These two officers appear not to have commanded their Troops, but the bombing sections for both Sqn's, so there positions in the charge is hard to find?

Also per the 10th LHR, where Lt Jackson is shown as bombing officer, possibly C Sqn, and possibly didn't command his Troop (D Troop C Sqn) during the charge?

If so who were the bombing officers for A Sqn and B Sqn 10th LHR, if there were any?

Jeff, the order to form these bombing sections is in the War Diary and they were to be formed for each Sqn, not one per Regt, even if these bombing sections would have been grouped into a bombing Troop from three sections?

Documention of these bombing sections is limited, to the order to form them and mention of them in the known records, but no other details?

Cheers

S.B

Jeff,

As to Capt Vernon Frederick Piesse, 2 I.C., “A” Sqdn commanded the right of the line

PIESSE Vernon Frederick  Capt 10 LHR A Sqn 2ic 10-14 shown A Sqn 2ic (in Army lists dated 7-15) to T/OC B Sqn 6-15 (shown 2ic A Sqn OC Right flank of charge at the Nek (G) reported killed shot to head by Sgt MacBean in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli married Bernice Chipper in Australia 28-10-14 (prov 2/Lt ASqn/25 LH 1-7-12 CMF 3 years) brother Charles Lt 11Bn KIA brother in law J.H. Watson Lt 16Bn

My records show he was made OC B Sqn in June 1915, while its unsure if he remained there, that may explain why he and MacBean were together?

I shown MacBean as;

MacBEAN Colin Hendric 220 Sgt 10 LHR B Sqn B Troop recom - for his part in raid at Quinns Post 29/30-5-15 (shown A Sqn D Troop at the Nek 7-8-15) prom 2/Lt B Sqn A Troop? (from Sherwood WIA) 8-8-15 (G) killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (1Sqn/18 LH & RHQ/25 LH CMF) AKA Colin Hendrie MacBean

others;

MacKENZIE William Cuthbert 813 Pte 10 LHR 3R tos A Sqn 5-15 shown B Sqn A Troop (Lt Harper) at the Nek 7-8-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli

I show he was in A Sqn from RO's when TOS in May 1915 not B Sqn, but he may have changed after May to B Sqn?

You show this man as

FRY Henry Phillip  Capt 10 LHR B Sqn 2ic 10-14 shown B Sqn 2ic (in Army lists dated 7-15) to OC B Sqn 8-15 (shown 2ic A Sqn commanded Right flank of charge at the Nek) MID - for his actions at Kaiajik Aghala (Hill 60) 28/29-8-15 (G) reported killed by bomb in attack at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli born 28-5-1882 (prov 2/Lt BSqn/25 LH 13-9-12 CMF 3 years)

All my records show he was 2ic B Sqn not A Sqn?

Other from C Sqn mentioned;

BAIN Evan 172 Cpl 10 LHR A Sqn B Troop to L/Sgt (shown possibly C Sqn C Troop) 8-15 att scout sniper 161 Bde 53 Div IX Corps at Suvla 9-15 to Sgt 10-15 (G)

LYALL William McIntosh 185 Sgt 10 LHR  A Sqn B Troop or C Troop? shown WIA 30-5-15 reported WIA 1-6-15 back bomb with Lt Colpitt's party in raid at Quinns Post evac to hosp 6-15 rtn 7-15 prom 2/Lt C Sqn A Troop (from campbell WIA & rowan KIA) 1-8-15 shown at the Nek WIA 9-8-15 L/arm shot at Walkers Ridge evac to hosp UK 8-15 (G)

HAMLIN Herbert Bowen  2/Lt 10 LHR C Sqn D Troop 10-14 shown C Sqn 3 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) prom T/Capt (from grimwood) 7-15 (some show C Sqn C Troop or B Troop? at the Nek) prom T/Capt T/Adjt RHQ (from robinson WIA) 8-15 revert when evac to hosp (enteric) 9-15 (G) RTA MU

Mate,

This bloke shows;

CONWAY Neil John 385 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop evac to hosp ship (influ) 5-15 rtn 12-15 reported WIA 7-8-15 arm & hand shrapnel in charge at the Nek TBC? (G)

His record shows him in C Sqn C Troop when embarked so did he moved later after illness before he returned from illness to rest camp Mudros 6 Dec 1915, no mention of him being at the Nek to get wounded?

But then again his record only shows him evac to a Hosp Ship not to a hosp in Egypt or Malta, so where did he go?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Mates,

Known A Sqn D Troop;

ANDERSON William Fleming 101 Pte 10 LHR
BARRACLOUGH Harold 103 Pte 10 LHR
BLACK Joseph Leo 104 Pte 10 LHR
CAMPBELL Neil  2/Lt 10 LHR
COLPITTS John Watson  2/Lt 10 LHR
CRUITE John James 105 Sgt 10 LHR
DEES Hubert Vincent 107 Pte 10 LHR
DRAKE-BROCKMAN Geoffrey  106 Pte 10 LHR
EDGAR Ronald Swan 108 Pte 10 LHR
FENWICK Basil Middleton 109 Cpl 10 LHR
FIRNS Hobart Douglas 110 Pte 10 LHR
GOLLAN Allan Bell 111 Pte 10 LHR
HALL Hubert Sylvian 100 Sgt 10 LHR
HARPER Gresley 113 Pte 10 LHR
HARPER Wilfred Lukin 114 T/QMS 10 LHR
HASSELL Oscar Donald Humphrey 112 Pte 10 LHR
HENDERSON William John 115 Sgt 10 LHR
LEAKE George Arthur 118 Pte 10 LHR
LEWIS John Percival 120 Pte 10 LHR
LIDDELOW Beverley John 121 Pte 10 LHR
LUKIN Dudley 116 Pte 10 LHR
LUKIN Geoffrey Harper 117 Pte 10 LHR
McJANNET John Blacklock 123 Pte 10 LHR
McRAE Gordon 125 Pte 10 LHR
MOORE Reginald Johnstone 138 Pte 10 LHR
MORRIS Edward Fortescue 126 Pte 10 LHR
MURRAY Thomas 124 Pte 10 LHR
OLIVER Edward Lockier 127 Pte 10 LHR
PEDLAR Morton Candey 198 Pte 10 LHR
PLAYNE John Morton 128 Pte 10 LHR
PRENTICE Frederick Samuel 196 Pte 10 LHR
REID Reginald Malcolm 186 Pte 10 LHR
ROSKAMS Leopold James Cecil 132 Cpl 10 LHR (possibly?)
ROSS Willian Allardice 130 Pte 10 LHR
RUSSELL Jack Wentworth 131 Pte 10 LHR
TURNBULL Alexander Phipps 164 Sgt 10 LHR (possibly?

not all were with the Troop at the time of the charge.

If you need more of these Troops I can fill in some of the blanks, but for anyone we find two to three go unrecorded.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Mate,

I know the mention of the 1st LHR charge is in passing, but the attack was in two parts.

A Sqn with all four Troops in two lines (two troops per line) attacked from their trenches across the gully, five minutes apart.

All four Troops were cut to shreds as they left the trenches and across the gully from MG's on the chessboard, and only parts gained the Turkish works on Bloody ridge, where B Sqn who attacked up Waterfall gully gained their objectives on Bloody ridge.

B Sqn attacked by Troops, climbed up the gully and arrived almost intake and carried out the main fighting to capture said three lines of Turkish works, and fought the main bomb fight in them.

Reinforcements and bomb supplies came through waterfall gully and the wounded brought out.

But other then reported that the 8th LHR left on time, they were to busy to say much on the 3rd LH Bde and the British fight to their left.

As to these men

"There were many acts of gallantry performed on August 7, notably those of 566 Corporal T. J. Keys, 437 Trooper R. C. Tancred and 397 Trooper F. Barrow in carrying much-needed bombs to the forward party over ground swept by machine gun and rifle fire"

These were C Sqn bombers who carried bombs up waterfall gully to reinforced the bomb fight by B Sqn, they are amoung a number of men who joined the battle, as did many RHQ men and numbers very, but the two hundred men mentioned as the attack forces was larger then that with extras arrived to the fight.

RHQ KIA 2 WIA 7 of whom 1 DoWs

MG Sect KIA 1 WIA 2

A Sqn KIA 31 WIA 42 of whom 6 DoWs

B Sqn KIA 20 WIA 33 of whom 4 DoWs

C Sqn  KIA 2 WIA 8

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Steve

This attack by the 1st LH would make a fantastic article, given the men gained the trenches and fought hard at high cost. Very much overshadowed by The Nek charge, as was the attempt at Quinn's. Do you know if anyone has attempted this? The 7th August 1915 was not a good day for the Light Horse,  that's for sure.

Ian

Mate,

Sadly no, not that I am aware of.

I have done a lot of research on their battle and started, but I never finished it.

One of many that needs to be finished.

S.B

Steve

From page 73 of our book, 2nd paragraph. mentions on 26 June, Todd taking A sqdn to No1 Outpost, while remaining squadrons lines Walkers Ridge upwards from the beach, with B sqdn under Piesse holding the lower section down to beach and C sqdn under Scott above them. This would have come from routine orders or war diary, I can't remember which. I am sure Piesse remained B Sqdn right up to the charge which aligns with Kidd's recollection.

Ian

Gilly,

Yes all my records also show him with B Sqn not A Sqn as Jeff has him.

I have many of the men mentioned in different Troops (specially C Sqn men), but most of my records only show there embarked Troops, not if they later moved around in Egypt or Anzac?

S.B

Steve

To your post no.159 regarding   385 Tpr Neil Conway of C Sqdn. While his service records have a big gap between evacuating Gallipoli sick just days after arriving in May, and his next record being at Mudros rest camp in early December, his Albany mate 433 Syd Livesey, also of C sqdn, recorded Conway being present at The Nek and also three weeks later at Hill 60. If Conway was wounded at The Nek, it certainly does not appear in his records, so perhaps only slight and not reported.

Interestingly, he was later in the Middle East, attended officer training school and was commissioned a 2/Lt in April 1918. Attached to 8th LH and KIA at Es Salt on 3rd May 1918. It just shows again that service records can omit certain movements or record incorrect dates.

Cheers

Ian

Mate,

Yes I agree

CONWAY Neil John 385 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop evac to hosp ship (influ) 5-15 shown rtn 12-15 also shown C Sqn A Troop WIA 7-8-15 arm & hand minor shrapnel in charge at the Nek N/R in file? (G) rtn 12-15 to L/Cpl 1-16 to Cpl 10-16 to T/Sgt (From Ricketts) 4-17 to Sgt 7-17 to 3 LHTR 10-17 to cadet OCS Zeitoun 12-17 prom 2/Lt 3-18 to C Sqn ? Troop 4-18 att CSqn/8 LHR 4-18 reported killed when 66th Turkish Regt attacked C Sqn at Kefr Hudr at Es Salt NKG listed on Jerusalem Memorial Palestine

Some other C Sqn C Troop I show plus possibly others given by Jeff;

BAIN Evan 172 Cpl 10 LHR A Sqn B Troop to L/Sgt (possibly C Sqn C Troop) 8-15 att scout sniper 161 Bde 53 Div IX Corps at Suvla 9-15 to Sgt 10-15 (G) to hosp (psoriasis) 10-16 rtn 1-17 WIA 19-4-17 L/Leg & foot shot reported 75 men wounded in attack at the Atawineh Redoubt at 2nd Gaza RTA wounded disch 15-2-18 (A Troop CSqn/25 LH CMF 4 years later WWII)  brother Duncan 10 LHR KIA

BARNARD Charles Edmund 601 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 8-15 (G) to 3 LH MGS 8-16 to L/Cpl 5-19 (British RGA 2 years later WWII

BINKS William 650 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 8-15 (G) to Dvr 1 LH FSE 7-16 to 3 LH Field Troop AE 2 LH FSE 2-17

BUNCE Frederick John 379 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop possibly shown C Sqn A Troop at the Nek? (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli

BURGES Irwin Carleton Temple 222 Cpl 10 LHR B Sqn B Troop to L/Sgt 3-15 prom 2/Lt C Sqn D Troop? shown C Sqn C Troop (from Olden WIA) 1-8-15 not shown in charge at the Nek to A Sqn A or D Troop (from McMaster KIA) 8-8-15 WIA 29-8-15 L/hand bomb in attack at Hill 60 evac to hosp UK 8-15 (G) disch 5-4-17 at mothers request having lost two son's only one alive (saving Pte Ryan)  later WWII LtCol VDC two brothers Thomas 10 LHR KIA ?

COCHRANE Alfred Bevan 389 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop? WIA 28-8-15 neck/chest (shown shot) reported shelled in camp at No 6 Sect Wellington Ridge before move to Hill 60 evac to hosp UK 9-15 (G) AIF HQ London 6-16 to LH Dtls near Salisbury UK 6-16 to 4 Trg Bn (16Bn) UK 9-16 to cadet 3 SMA Oxford UK 1-17 disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 26 Res Sqn RFC at Tara house Midlothian to 10 Sqn RFC (pilot) FK 8 (C3521) F&B

CONWAY Neil John 385 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop evac to hosp ship (influ) 5-15 rtn 12-15 shown C Sqn A Troop WIA 7-8-15 arm & hand minor shrapnel in charge at the Nek N/R in file? (G) rtn 12-15 to L/Cpl 1-16 to Cpl 10-16 to T/Sgt (From Ricketts) 4-17 to Sgt 7-17 to 3 LHTR 10-17 to cadet OCS Zeitoun 12-17 prom 2/Lt 3-18 to C Sqn ? Troop 4-18 att CSqn/8 LHR 4-18 reported killed when 66th Turkish Regt attacked C Sqn at Kefr Hudr at Es Salt NKG listed on Jerusalem Memorial Palestine

COOPER Claude Francis 388 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop? remain Egypt RTA MU VD relist 18R/5Bn (5352) Tos 8-16 WIA 23-4-17 R/buttock by shell at Lagnicourt F&B (CMF 18 months)

CRONIN Arthur Joseph Dennis 386 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop? (G) killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli

CROWE Archibald 387 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop shown bomber C Sqn A Troop at the Nek reported WIA 14-8-15 knee injury bomb at Russells Top WIA 29-8-15 head, hand & thigh bomb reported from premature bomb burst of own granade at Hill 60 also reported blown up making bombs (G) died at 16 CCS NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli

DACK Frank 613 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 (G) killed at Hill 60 reported KIA 29-8-15 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli

DALLING George 390 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop to L/Cpl 2-15 to Cpl 8-15 (G) killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Boer War Cape MR 5 years)

DeBAVAY John Francis Xavior 391 Cpl 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop (G) shown prom T/2/Lt 6-15 not commissioned due to illness disch 10-5-16 MU cardiac (CMF 2 years)

DU VAL Denis 394 Scout 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop to Cpl 2-15 possibly shown C Sqn A Troop at the Nek? (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli  AKA Denis Duval

FOSS Henry Clinton 404 A/Cpl 10 LHR C Sqn A Troop WIA 3-8-15 minor reported wounded by bomb with Pte Morphett and RSM Everington at Walkers ridge shown C Sqn C Troop at the Nek to Sgt 8-15 MID - for his actions at Kaiajik Aghala (Hill 60) 28/29-8-15 (G) To 13 Trg Bn in UK 9-16 to 51Bn 12-16 prom 2/Lt 28Bn 1-17 F&B reported killed and body left in trenches at Bullecourt NKG listed on Villers Bretonneux Memorial France brothers Capt Cecil MC 28Bn KIA and Ernest 11Bn KIA

GILLAM Hubert Evelyn 655 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 WIA 29-8-15 chest/lung bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) died at 16 CCS NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brothers Sydney 10 LHR KIA and Jack MM 44Bn

GILLAM Sydney Davenport 618 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 WIA 29-8-15 arm in attack at Hill 60 died at 16 CCS NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brothers Hubert 10 LHR KIA and Jack MM 44Bn

GODDEN Victor Leonard 408 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop WIA 9-8-15 poison hand at Walkers Ridge (G) to UK leave

GREEN Edward Cecil 411 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop WIA 8-10-15 buttock reported Maj Scott killed and 3 wounded in heavy shell fire at Canterbury Slope (G) to L/Cpl 10-16 to ER Cpl Orderly DMC camp 8-17 to ER/Sgt AIF Canteen 9-17 married Amy Macpherson at Haddenham UK 25-10-19 (British Assam LH in India 6 years) later WWII

GWYNNE Spencer 413 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop to L/Cpl 8-15 (G) to Cpl 1-16 to Sgt A Troop (from mann) 10-16 to Sgt 12-16 DCM & MID - for his actions rescuing Lt Martin at Magdhaba 23-12-16 to cadet OCS Zeitoun 12-17 prom 2/Lt 9-3-18 rtn C Sqn A Troop? 4-18 T/att ASqn/8 LHR 4-18 WIA 3-5-18 L/ankle shot reported when 66th Turkish Regt attacked C Sqn at Kefr Hudr at Es Salt rtn C Sqn A Troop? 6-18 T/att att school of Instruction (hotchkiss instructor MG course) Zeitoun 7-18 WIA 30-9-18 L/wrist shot reported shot by MG during advance to Sasa RTA wounded later WWII

HAMLIN Herbert Bowen  2/Lt 10 LHR C Sqn D Troop 10-14 shown C Sqn 3 Troop (in Army lists dated 7-15) prom T/Capt 2ic C Sqn (from grimwood) 7-15 (some show C Sqn C Troop or C Sqn B Troop & or 2ic C Sqn commanded left flank last line at the Nek) prom T/Capt T/Adjt RHQ (from robinson WIA) 8-15 revert when evac to hosp (enteric) 9-15 (G) RTA MU reemb tos Troop officer 3 double Sqn 6-16 prom T/Capt 2ic Sqn/3 double sqn 7-16 to 2ic B Sqn 9-16 rtn prom Capt C Sqn 12-16 WIA 19-4-17 thigh shrapnel reported 75 men wounded in attack at the Atawineh Redoubt at 2nd Gaza rtn 5-17 prom T/Maj A Sqn 5-17 prom Maj OC B Sqn ( from robertson) 8-17 T/att school of Instruction (Topo course) Zeitoun 2-18 DSO & MID - for his actions as Sqn OC at Jenin 20-9-18 and at Jisr Benat Yakub 27-9-18 and Duma 1-10-18 T/att CSqn/8 LHR rtn B Sqn to hosp (cardiac) 5-19 died heart attack at 26 BSH buried Ismailia War Cemetery Egypt (Pte BSqn/25 LH 1-13 to prov 2/Lt C Troop BSqn/25 LH 16-11-13 to Lt 1-7-15 to 1919 CMF) nick name "Paddy"

HUNGERFORD Frederick 421 A/Sgt 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop WIA 7-8-15 or 8-8-15 BW chest & L/thigh in charge at the Nek (G) disch 7-6-17 (Perth IR CMF)

LAKELAND Thomas Victor 430 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop remain Egypt tos A Sqn B Troop 9-15 (G) reported killed shot by sniper at Canterbury Slope near Rhodendoren Spur buried Ari Burnu Cemetery Gallipoli

LIVESEY Sydney Claude 433 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn C Troop? shown bomber with C Sqn A Troop at the Nek att escort to GOC GHQ 9-15 WIA 11-10-15 R/shoulder (chest/lung) reported shot at Rhododendron Spur on Canterbury Slope (G) disch 12-10-16 MU old wound

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Steve

Another piece of help comes from Hugh Gillam's diary on 13 May in Egypt, just prior to embarkation for Gallipoli. He stated that the 1st reos were all posted on strength of C Sqdn, while the 2nd reos went to B Sqdn and the 3rd reos to A Sqdn. The 4th and 5th reos, who came later, I don't know how they were distributed unfortunately. Snippets like this from diaries are often a huge help if unit war diary or routine orders make no mention of such.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Mate,

I would not disagree either, but there are the odd ones, these I record with the 1st Reinforcement, but I placed only their Anzac Tours;

FOSTER John George 97 Pte 10 LHR 1R (671) tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 WIA 8-9-15 R/thigh during move from Hill 60 to Rhododendron Spur (G) 
BARNARD Charles Edmund 601 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 8-15 (G) 
BAXTER William Stephen 604 Pte 10 LHR 1R joined at sea tos B Sqn 5-15 WIA 29-5-15 both thighs reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G) 
BELL George William David 605 A/Cpl 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
BROOKE Percy Frederick 606 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 8-15 WIA 29-8-15 concussion & shell shock bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) disch 25-9-16
BUTCHER Frank Gunn 607 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn D Troop 5-15 (G) 
CONGREVE William Kirkwood 609 A/Cpl 10 LHR 1R to Orderly Room T/Sgt RHQ 4-15 to Cpl C Sqn 5-15 to Sgt records sect 3rd Ech 8-15 rtn Orderly Room Sgt RHQ 10 LHR 8-15 (G) 
COX Donald Lindsay 610 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos B Sqn 5-15 WIA 7-8-15 head & neck reported shrapnel in charge at the Nek (G) disch 22-11-16 later WWII
DACK Frank 613 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 (G) killed at Hill 60 reported KIA 29-8-15 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli
DOWDELL William Thomas 615 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 WIA 10-7-15 deafness and shock on Walkers Ridge (G) 
GILLAM Sydney Davenport 618 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 WIA 29-8-15 arm in attack at Hill 60 died at 16 CCS NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brothers Hubert 10 LHR KIA and Jack MM 44Bn
HAYES William Thomas 620 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos B Sqn B Troop 5-15 WIA 29-8-15 face bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) 
HINES Alfred Joseph 621 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn A Troop 8-15 (G) 
HOCKIN Stewart Roy Luxmore 622 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn D Troop 5-15 (G) died dysentery on HS "Somali" NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (British OTS)
JENOUR Charles Evedon 623 A/QMS 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 4-15 evac to Intarfa hosp Malta (measles) 6-15 rtn 7-15 to Cpl 8-15 to Sgt - T/SQMS C Sqn? (from ainsworth) 10-15 evac to hosp Mudros (jaundice) 11-15 (G) 
JOHN George Davies 624 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) disch 2-6-16 MU enteric (British Pembroke Yeomanry 18 months) brothers Twin David, William 10 LHR and Joseph 28Bn KIA and Benjamin 44Bn cousin Benjamin DCM 11Bn KIA
BUTT Edgar Eden 648 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) to L/Cpl 10-16 to Cpl 1-17 to Sgt A Sqn? 5-18 (British British The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales's Own Royal Regt) 2 years)
BINKS William 650 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 8-15 (G) 
CROOKES Adam 652 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
DENNE George Albert 653 Cpl 10 LHR 1R Tos Sgt C Sqn 8-15 (G) 
FARQUHARSON Evelyn Maxwell Hutton 654 Sgt 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? WIA 27/28-5-15 R/thigh at Quinns Post reported sniped on Popes Post WIA 29-8-15 neck/jaw bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) RTA wounded
GILLAM Hubert Evelyn 655 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn C Troop 5-15 WIA 29-8-15 chest/lung bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) died at 16 CCS NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brothers Sydney 10 LHR KIA and Jack MM 44Bn
HISCOX Hubert Frank 656 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) 
HUNTER Bowes 657 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? shown B Sqn 5-15 (G) to C Sqn B Troop? 
KENNEDY Joseph 658 Pte 10 LHR C Sqn (548) & 1R possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
COONAN Marcus John 672 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 WIA 6-8-15 minor bomb at Walkers Ridge (G) 
COONAN William Michael 673 Pte 10 LHR 1R to C Sqn 5-15 (G) reported MIA killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brothers Joseph 28Bn KIA, Marcus and Michael 10 LHR
COONAN Michael Joseph 674 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) brothers Joseph 28Bn KIA, William and Marcus 10 LHR
MARSHALL Walter 626 Pte 10 LHR 1R reemb 24R later WWII records Remts (not identified)
MILNER John James Edward 627 Pte 10 LHR 1R NTOS WIA 11-4-15 broken leg accident fell down a hole near the pyramids disch 3-4-16 MU (WAMI CMF 2 years later WWII)
McGARRIGAL John Cecil 628 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn 4-15 WIA 29-8-15 R/arm/shoulder shot in attack at Hill 60 (G) 
POOLE William 630 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 WIA 3-10-15 R/leg at Rhododendron Spur (G) 
POPE Herbert 631 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 possibly shown C Sqn A Troop at the Nek? (G) killed in charge at the Nek buried Walkers Ridge Cemetery Gallipoli
PRIDE James Allan 632 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 to L/Cpl 7-15 to Cpl 10-15 (G) 
RUSK Walter Jordan 635 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) reported MIA killed in fighting at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli
SEAMAN Percy  636 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli AKA Percy Frederick William Seaman brother Albert 50Bn
SHARP Robert Kendrick Roberts 637 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
THORNETT John James 639 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn 4 Troop 5-15 (G) reported MIA killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli brother Charles ICC
TURNER Charles Harold 640 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
VANCE John 641 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 possibly shown C Sqn A Troop at the Nek? & WIA 7-8-15 in charge at the Nek N/R? to L/Cpl 8-15 (G) 
WALKER Andrew John 642 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 possibly shown C Sqn A Troop at the Nek? WIA 7-8-15 L/shoulder in charge at the Nek (G) 
WELLS Wallis Thomas 643 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) Ex C Troop C Sqn DNE
WHEELOCK Darcy Logan 645 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 8-15 (G) 
WISEMAN James Henry 647 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly A Sqn? 9-15 evac to (21 BGH) hosp (enteric) 10-15 (G) RTA MU enteric 
MacAULAY William 660 Pte 10 LHR 1R (543) to S/Smith 3-15 remain Egypt to S/Smith SHQ CSqn/Comp LHR 11-15 rtn C Sqn 2-16
MAWBY John Wilfred 661 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
O'HEHIR William James 662 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) to Dvr 11-15 
OWEN Walter Henry 663 Pte 10 LHR 1R tos B Sqn 5-15 WIA 29-5-15 R/hand shot reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G) 
RHONE Albert 664 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 3-15 (G) 

SHORTER Albert 665 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
SMITH Nicholas 666 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn?  5-15 (G) 
THOMAS Charles Edward 667 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 8-15 (G) 

WYATT Isaac Charles 670 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) disch 10-4-16 MU enteric 
MARRINER Walter Henry 675 Pte 10 LHR 1R Tos possibly C Sqn? 5-15 (G) 

Edited by stevebecker

And 2nd Reinforcement, again only there Anzac records;

THROSSELL Hugo Vivian Hope  2/Lt 10 LHR 2R tos 4-15 remain Egypt Tos (from burkett) shown by Kidd A Sqn A Troop? or A Sqn C Troop (mention by throssell) at the Nek 8-15 WIA 29-8-15 L/shoulder/neck & arms bomb shrapnel in attack at Hill 60 & VC + MID - for his actions in fighting at Hill 60 evac to hosp UK 9-15 (G) RTA wounded 

EYLES Howard Loftie 702 Cpl 10 LHR 2R tos C Sqn 8-15 to Orderly Room Sgt RHQ 8-15 (G) 
ADLAM William Edward 703 Pte 10 LHR 2R NTOS remain Egypt disch 27-3-16 MU (HCo CMF)
BALLINGER Ernest James 704 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 5-15 (G) 
BANGAY Frederick Walter 705 Pte 10 LHR 2R remain Egypt 
BETTS William Albert 706 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 29-5-15 face shot or shell reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G) disch 25-5-16
BICKLEY Samuel Absolom 707 Pte 10 LHR 2R NTOS to 12Bn (707a) 6-15 (G) 
BOLGER Frank 708 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 29/30-8-15 neck in attack at Hill 60 WIA 7-10-15 chest/lungs shrapnel at Rhododendron Spur (G) disch 21-8-16
BRADY Edgar Vernon 709 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Boer War DCo/4 ACH (2822) and Cpl South African Light Horse (2247) (WAIR and WAFA CMF 5 years) four brothers in AIF Ernest 28Bn DoW
BRENNAN Thomas Henry 710 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
BROWN Edward John 711 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 29-5-15 R/hand & L/shoulder shot reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post (G) 
BUTLER Albert James 712 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Boer War ECo/2 ACH (1139)
BREAR Henry Thomas 713 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
BURN Arthur Lowerly 714 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 2-15 to L/Cpl 4-15 tos C Sqn 5-15 (G) reported MIA 29-8-15 killed at Hill 60 NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Boer War British 16th (The Queen's) Lancers) (3850) 8 years) to Natal Carbineers and South African Constabulary) AKA Arthur Sowerby Burn brother Lt J.Burn West Nigeria Regt
CHAMBERS Basil Cecil 715 Pte 10 LHR 2R remain Egypt att BSqn/Comp LHR att Royal Engineers Matruth 11-15 
COVERDALE Francis Cyril 716 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 evac to hosp UK (dysentry) 9-15 (G) disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 3/4Bn East Yorkshire Regt prom Capt F&B
CUSACK Jack 717 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 reported in B Sqn with Sgt Harper 7-15 to MG Sect 7-15 shown WIA 7-8-15 but WIA 17-8-15 head, hands, chest, abdomen and legs shrapnel reported by 75 mm shell that killed two and wounded one at Russells Top (G) disch 2-12-16 MU (Boer War S/Smith 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers (4995) 4 years to 9th (Queen's Royal) Lancers 10 years)
DAVIS Rowland Dudlyn 718 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 5-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Ronald or Roland Dudley Davis)
DEAN George 719 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 reported WIA 24-7-15 minor at No 1 Out Post (G) 
DITCHBURN Henry Taylor 720 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
DINSDALE Simon George 721 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 8-15 shown WIA 7-8-15 shell shock deafness concussion by shell in charge at the Nek WIA 8-10-15 R/shoulder shrapnel reported Maj Scott killed and 3 wounded in heavy shell fire at Canterbury Slope (G) disch 29-9-16 deafness 
DORAN David 722 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos B Sqn B Troop 5-15 WIA 21-5-15 arm (BW forearm) reported shot by sniper while disembarking on Anzac rtn 8-15 WIA 29-8-15 thigh shown shot & bomb in attack at Hill 60 rtn 10-15 (G) 
EDWARDS Vivian 723 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 29-5-15 L/side & back shot reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post evac to St Andrews hosp Malta 6-15 rtn 8-15 possibly C Sqn? B Troop? (Lt Hugo Throssell Troop) to L/Cpl 10-15 (G)
EVERETT Frederick Richard William 724 Pte 10 LHR 2R stowaway to Anzac Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
FELSTEAD Walter 725 Pte 10 LHR 2R ToS possibly B Sqn? 4-15 reported WIA 20-10-15 leg & lung on Rhododendron Spur (G) died on HS "Delta" buried 3 miles off Alexandra NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli
GREEN Zebulan 726 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly C Sqn? 9-15 WIA 8-10-15 buttock shrapnel reported Maj Scott killed and 3 wounded in heavy shell fire at Canterbury Slope (G) 
GREGORY Percy Leonard 727 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 5-15 WIA 30-5-15 minor possibly with Lt Colpitt's party in raid at Quinns Post (G) 
HAHN William 728 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli (Narracoote LH SAMI CMF 3 years) brother John 9 LHR
JOHNSTON Harold Douglas 729 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
KILLENDER Joseph Robert 730 Pte 10 LHR 2R NTOS disch 15-12-15 MU
LITTLER Charles Eric 731 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
LAWRENCE Cedric Ambrose 732 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 8-15 (G) disch 24-9-16 MU cardiac AKA Cedric Onslow Lawrance
HEINRICH Richard 752 Pte 10 LHR 2R  possibly B Sqn? 5-15 evac to St Andrews hosp Malta (dysentry) 7-15 rtn 9-15 (G) 

WALKER Charles Frederick 701 Sgt 10 LHR 2R remain Egypt Tos 2-16 disch 3-8-16 MU (Boer War 2 Scottish Horse (31755) and Cpl 4 ACH (2231)
MAUNDER Richard Henry 733 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) disch 13-3-16 MU shell concusion AKA Richard Henry Mounder (British The 19th Yorkshire Regt Green Howards)
MIDDLETON John 734 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 7-8-15 R/arm bomb or bullet in charge at the Nek (G) 
McNEILL Henry George 735 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 possibly shown B Sqn D Troop at the Nek (G) killed in charge at the Nek buried Ari Burnu Cemetery Gallipoli brothers Charles MM RGA and John DCM RAMC British Army
NELSON Allan 736 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 2-15 WIA 30-5-15 head with Lt Kidd's party in raid at Quinns Post to Sig RHQ ? (G) 
O'DONNELL Patrick 737 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 2-15 WIA 29-5-15 R/leg shrapnel reported after mine exploded & during Turk attack at Quinns Post WIA 29-8-15 R/arm in attack at Hill 60 to T/Cpl 11-15 (G) RTA MU nervous debility 
OLDFIELD Thomas 738 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 5-15 WIA 30-5-15 L/arm bomb reported in raid possibly with Lt Kidd's party? at Quinns Post WIA 7-8-15 R/arm shot in charge at the Nek (G) disch 27-9-16 amputated R/arm
PATTEN Hilary 739 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn 2-15 WIA 30-5-15 foot in camp behind Quinns Post rtn 6-15 WIA 29-8-15 L/shoulder bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) disch 29-9-16 AKA Hilary Samuel Patton
PICKERING Thomas Charles 740 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
PAYNE Leonard Parker 741 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) killed at charge of the Nek buried Ari Burnu Cemetery Gallipoli
PRICE Leslie Clifton 742 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn? 2-15 WIA 29-8-15 both legs bomb in attack at Hill 60 (G) 
ROBINSON Duncan Ernest 743 Pte 10 LHR 2R remain Egypt to records sect 3rd Ech AIF HQ 8-15 
ROSE Harold Mervyn 744 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 reported WIA 14-7-15 at No 1 Outpost at Walkers Ridge (G) 
SMITH Harold George 745 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 7-8-15 L/am shot in charge at the Nek (G) 

STURTRIDGE Henry 746 Pte 10 LHR 2R NTOS remain Egypt disch 4-2-16 MU
SYME John Farquharson 747 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos B Sqn? 3-15 WIA 30-5-15 with Lt Kidd's party in raid at Quinns Post (G) to Gnr 10 FAB F&B
VILLIS Leyshon 748 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos B Sqn D Troop WIA 30-5-15 head with Lt Kidd's party in raid at Quinns Post & recom - for his part in raid at Quinns Post 29/30-5-15 (G) killed in charge at the Nek NKG listed on Lone Pine Memorial Gallipoli
WALKER James 749 Pte 10 LHR 2R Tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 (G) 
WALKER Hubert 750 Pte 10 LHR 2R NTOS remain Egypt disch 27-3-17 MU cardiac brother James 10 LHR
WOODS William 751 Pte 10 LHR 2R tos possibly B Sqn? 5-15 WIA 29/30-8-15 thigh shot in attack at Hill 60 (G) 

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Nice work on those lists of men in what troop and squadrons. Whilst researching the line up of 3rd and 4th lines I had to contend with Sgt William Sanderson's evidence to Bean, taken much later in the war on Western Front when Sanderson was an officer in the 43rd Battery, Aust Artillery.  It confused me no end and I subsequently discounted much of it in favour of Kidd's words and others like Throssell, Bain, Foss and even a 9th LH machine gunner at Turks Point. 

Sanderson claimed the following mainly regarding the 4th line.

Only 2 troops went over, namely D and C troops of B Sqdn

That all of B Sqdn were in 4th line, going only from fire trenches and not the Secret Sap, in following order left to right:  A troop under Harper, B troop under Kidd, D troop under Rowan, C troop under Craig and Throssell on far right round corner but no troop designation. Maj Scott between B and D troops.

4th line went over 3 to 4 minutes after 3rd wave.

No mention of C Sqdn at all, A sqdn all 3rd wave.

Very different to Kidd's account  and when taken against other evidence, hard to reconcile. This evidence taken some 2 to 3 years after the charge.

Overall, I think our account in the book comes closest thus far.

Ian

• 3 months later...
On 23 April 2006 at 16:56, Bill Woerlee said:

Mates

There are various sources for the KIA and DOW at the Nek. For those not in the know, this was possibly one of the greatest military disasters to befall the 3rd Australian Light Horse Brigade during the Gallipoli campaign. The person singled out for the most blame commencing from Bean was Antill. Even the movie Gallipoli paints him as the bungling idiot callously sending men to their deaths.

The sources used to create this list is a composite of that provided by Peter Burness in his seminal work on the Nek, Antill and his short history of the 3rd LH Bde produced in 1918, [inserted 24 April 2006] the work of Captain HR Gollan [end of insertion] and McLauren's history. There are other sources but until I am given permission to refer to them, they remain anonymous but insightful contributors. In addition to that I have made a careful analysis of the records and added some names that have not appeared in the above mentioned sources.

Note inserted 24 April 2006: I have received a note from one of the silent contributors who has done so much to clarify our knowledge of the action at the Nek - possibly the fellow whose knowledge about the Nek and the 8th ALHR is second to none - I speak of Jeff Pickerd from Melbourne. He has given me permission to acknowledge him and his great work on this subject and without his constant prodding I would never have discovered those things that I have placed upon this site. On this subject I owe him a massive debt and cannot speak too highly of his ability as a researcher. It is upon his primary work that I began my research.

The result of the work is to produce the following list:

678 Private Frank Leigh A'BECKETT

755 Private James Valentine AIREY

682 Private Rollo Charles ALBAN

756 Private Robert Osborne ALEXANDER

607 Private Patrick Joseph AMOR

801 Private Arthur Andrew ANDERSON

544 Private George John Stewart ANDERSON

778 Private James ANDERSON

235 Lance Corporal James Alfred ANDERSON

Lieutenant Leo William Hall ANDERSON

101 Private William Fleming ANDERSON

608 Private William Stawell ANDERSON

876 Private Stephen ARBUTHNOT

364 Sergeant Duncan Farquhar Grant BAIN

208 Private John Henry BAKER

103 Private Harold BARRACLOUGH

881 Private Walter Ernest BARTON

806 Private Percy Hamlin BECKETT

527 Private Robert BEILBY

878 Private James Alexander BELL

601 Private Charles BENSON

223 Private Albert Alfred BENT

234 Corporal Alexander Douglas BETHUNE

372 Private William BLAKE

338 Private Victor Eric BLAKENEY

805 Private Douglas BODDY

46 Sergeant Henry Otto BOHLSEN

Lieutenant Keith BORTHWICK

209 Lance Corporal John BOSWELL

934 Private Horace BOWER

880 Private Richard BOWERING

233 Corporal Alwynne Stanley BOWKER

709 Private Edgar Vernon BRADY

69 Private Hubert Howden BROCKMAN

244 Private Thomas BUCKINGHAM

379 Private Frederick John BUNCE

165 Lance Corporal Thomas Francis BURGES

342 Driver William BURKE

712 Private Albert James BUTLER

311 Private Morton Alfred CAKEBREAD

300 Sergeant Major Colin Henry CAMERON

937 Private James Percival CAMERON

605 Private James Pullar CAMERON

853 Private James CARNEY

59 Private Alfred Ernest CARPENTER

Lieutenant Charles CARTHEW

129 Lance Corporal Alfred CAVANAGH

860 Private Henry Thomas CHIPPER

97 Lance Corporal Lindsay Lewis Sterling CHIPPER

68 Private Ross Richard Vivian CHIPPER

281 Private Henry Norman CLAYION

776 Private Thomas George COATES

142 Private Albert George COBB

156 Private Dyson Frederick COLE

155 Private Lionel William COLE

787 Private Herbert Alfred COLLINS

93 Private Tom COMBLEY

689 Private Walter COMBS

115 Sergeant John Leslie CONNOR

151 Private John CONSIDINE

240 Private James CONWAY

70 Corporal Henry COWELL

534 Private Colin Heardon CRAMOND

58 Driver Alexander George CUMMING

139 Private Richard Edward CUMMING

884 Corporal Herbert Roulston Clifford CURRIE

Lieutenant Charles Coning DALE

718 Private Rowland [Ronald] Dudley DAVIS

791 Private George Ernest DE MOLE

539 Private Reginald Garry DEMPSIER

694 Private Percy George DEWHURST

89 Private Oliver Ernest DONALDSON

166 Private Amos Leonard DOUST

781 Private William DOW

542 Private Frank Napier DREW

690 Private Alfred DRISCOLL

394 Corporal Denis DU VAL

693 Private Thomas Alfred DUDDERIDGE

662 Private James DUFFY

692 Private Thomas Leo DWYER

84 Private Norman Charles DYER

817 Private Stanley EDMISTON

615 Private Wallace ESSAY

1804 Private William Williamson EUSTACE

368 Private Albert Lacey EVANS

369 Private Alexander George EVANS

889 Private Herbert Ernest EYERS

153 Private John Charles EYRE

109 Sergeant Basil Middleton FENWICK

212 Private Lawrence Gerald FINN

521 Private Jack FLUX

821 Private Benjamin FORBES

403 Corporal Richard Andrew FORBES

265 Sergeant Thomas Charles FORDE

158 Private Arthur William FYFFE

245 Private William Henry GALE

824 Private Edward GIBBS

160 Private Frederick Gilbert GIPPS

893 Corporal Hugh Garfield GORDON

286 Private Ernest Samuel GOULDEN

287 Private John George Letcher GOYNE

709 Corporal Hugh GRACE

894 Private Gerald Lawrence GRAHAM

929 Private Geoffrey Treacher GRANT

Lieutenant George Muir GRANT

559 Private Charles GREAVES

381 Sergeant Clifton Riversdale GRENFELL

698 Private Louis Gerald GRIFFIN

167 Private Alfred Henry GRIFFITHS

621 Private Mansell David GRIFFITHS

728 Private William HAHN

760 Private Frederick George HALL

828 Private Arthur HANCOCK

113 Private Gresley HARPER

114 Private Wilfred Lukin HARPER

250 Private Reginald Desmond HARRIS

361 Squadron Sergeant Major William Edward HARVEY

112 Private Oscar Donald Humphrey HASSELL

896 Private James HASTINGS

168 Private John HAY

Lieutenant Thomas James HELLER

541 Private Edward Percival HENDY

Lieutenant Edward Ellis HENTY

292 Private Arthur Henry HILL

247 Private Bertie HILL

283 Private Henry George HILL

213 Private William Arthur HIND

200 Corporal Russell George HINDHAUGH

314 Private Carl HOLMBERG

623 Private George Reuben HOPE

897 Private Harry HOSKINS

Lieutenant Thomas Spencer HOWARD

96 Private Geoffrey Castell HOWELL

803 Private Raymond HOWELL

201 Lance Corporal George Thomas HUGHES

Lieutenant David Alexander JACKSON

742 Private Samuel JAMES

229 Private Douglas JAMIESON

217 Private Donald Mathieson McGregor JOHNSON

316 Lance Corporal John Joshua JOLLY

828 Private Arthur JONES

394 Private Thomas JONES

130 Private Charles KELLY

547 Private Frank Winterburn KEMP

400 Private Robert KERR

703 Private Edward Richard KILPATRICK

831 Private Martin Frederick KING

83 Private Allan Bruce KINNAIRD

141 Private Frederick William KIRSCH

150 Private Louis Alfred KLOPPER

251 Private Archibald Roland KNIGHT

33 Private William Henry LAILEY

898 Private William LANG

762 Private Michael Edward LARKIN

834 Private Ralph Vivian Worthington LEES

133 Private Hugh LENNON

120 Private John Percival LEWIS

132 Private Thomas LONGMORE

116 Private Dudley LUKIN

906 Private Charles Russell MACNALLY

Second Lieutenant Lieut Cyril Godfrey MARSH

255 Private Robert MARTIN

307 Private William Henry MASON

903 Private Oscar John MATTHIES

170 Sergeant Ernest MCALIECE

744 Private Herbert MCCARTHY

450 Lance Corporal Alfred John MCCLUSKY

263 Private Samual Jeremiah MCCOLL

177 Private William MCELHINNEY

123 Private John Blacklock MCJANNETT

813 Private William Cuthbert MCKENZIE

962 Private Donald S. MCLEAN

Captain Robert Thompson MCMASTER

735 Private Henry George MCNEILL

125 Private Gordon MCRAE

Lieutenant Colonel Col Albert MIELL

414 Private Robert Reid MITCHELL

254 Private William MITCHELL

138 Sergeant Reginald Johnstone MOORE

542 Private Archibald Hubert MORETON

663 Private Patrick MORRISEY

138 Private James Edgar MOYSEY

766 Private Thomas Richard MURRAY

142 Private Walter Edwards NEWTON

325 Private Archibald NICOLSON

80 Private William Reginald Eustace NORTHEY

554 Private Bernard Lindsay O'MULLANE

432 Sergeant Sydney John O'NEILL

264 Private George booth ORMEROD

41 Sergeant Ebden Harcourt Roger PALMER

702 Private John PALMER

910 Private Walter Raymond PATTERSON

741 Private Frederick PAYNE

327 Private Leonard Parker PAYNE

325 Private Arthur Albert PEARSON

966 Private Ernest PENNY

232 Sergeant James Burnett PICKETT

Captain Vernon Frederick PIESSE

327 Private Arthur Thomas PITTS

631 Private Herbert POPE

746 Private Allan PREECE

482 Lance Corporal Godfrey Liddle PURVES

331 Private Alexander RAE

231 Sergeant Frank Albert RAWLINGS

198 Corporal Victor Norman RAYMOND

Major Thomas Harold REDFORD

463 Private John REGAN

82 Private George Wallace RICHARDSON

42 Sergeant Henry George ROBERTS

333 Private Charles Archibald ROBINSON

715 Private Frederick RODERICK

Second Lieutenant Leopold James Cecil ROSKAMS

130 Private William Allardyce ROSS

Captain Andrew Percival ROWAN

152 Private Harold RUSH

891 Private George Frederick Henry SANDY

226 Sergeant John Andrew SCOTT

62 Lance Corporal George Southwell SEAGER

182 Private John Alexander SHAW

913 Private Ernest Lloyd SHEARSMITH

453 Private Herbert Steven SHELDON

157 Corporal Clarence SHEPHERD

746 Private Frederick Joseph SMITH

147 Private William John SNUDDEN

722 Private Edward Reuben SOMERVILLE

212 Squadron Sergeant Major John SPRINGALL

750 Private Abraham Joseph STANFORD

857 Private Herbert Edward STANLEY

919 Private George STENZEL

643 Private James Alexander STEWART

296 Private Charles Tyler SUTHERLAND

898 Private Clarence Edward SUTTON

841 Private Patrick Joseph SWEENEY

858 Private Nicholas TACKABERRY

75 Private Stanley TAYLOR

304 Lance Corporal Arthur Norman TETLEY

184 Private James Gordon Ford THOMPSON

821 Corporal Thomas THOMPSON

902 Private Owen Stanley TIMMS

923 Private William TOLEMAN

551 Private William TOSH

752 Private Angus Duncan TREWIN

Second Lieutenant Alexander Phipps TURNBULL

748 Private Leyshon VILLIS

850 Private Reginald WALLACE

22 Private Claude Hallastone WALSH

150 Private Victor Kenneth WALTON

298 Lance Corporal John Fortescue WEATHERHEAD

784 Private William Bradley WELCH

357 Private Frederick Harold WESTON

Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Henry WHITE

143 Private Edwin James WHITE

Second Lieutenant Henry Eric WHITEHEAD

71 Private James Thomas WILKERSON

532 Private Roy WILLAN

261 Private Alfred Spedding WILLIAMS

475 Driver Richard WILLIAMSON

Lieutenant Eliot Gratton WILSON

29 Private James Joseph Reginald WILSON

225 Private Charles Melbourne WINGROVE

333 Private John Wylie WINNETT

Lieutenant Charles Talbot WOODS

British Casualties from the 8th (Service) Battalion, Cheshires.

2152 Private Arthur CHAMBERLAIN

1835 Private Tom DAVIDSON

2242 Private William LEE

413 Private Ernest POLLITT

1728 Private George SIDEBOTHAM

131 Private Fred SINKER

Information for the Cheshire's casualties at the Nek generously supplied by Patrick Gariepy

If folks have suggestions, corrections or other names to add, please put them on this thread and the above list will be altered to reflect that information if necessary.

Cheers

Bill

Bill, 

155 Tpr Lionel NELSON Cole (not William) was the brother of 156 Tpr Dyson Frederick Cole. They were both found by thier brother 485 Ernest Hext Cole (8th Light horse) and evacuated to the Hospital Ship the HS Delta, where they died of wounds and were buried at sea.

regards, 

Nicole

• 2 months later...

Colleagues....

I don't indulge too often  - but noted this discussion.

Please note photo of Sgt Michael Joseph Magher (No. 66 10ALH) - he is mentioned in one of the lists of chargers / wounded & is my brother-in-laws grandfather.

In one of life's odd  coincidences I was working at Ford Motor Co (Geelong) at the time of the 75th Anniversary... and while in the engine plant introduced my brother in law (grandson of above) to the person working next to him who was the grandson of Maj Olden - 75 years to the day the grandsons were working withing a few feet of each other.

Quite a handsome looking fellow...

Kindest Regards

agent13 ( www.kingedwardshorse.net ) 

IMG_0661.JPG.c4c24135c55a3258f063ccffb11505e5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Mate,

Yes nice one.

He is recorded as'

MAGHER    Michael Joseph    66    Pte    10 LHR    A Sqn A Troop WIA 7-8-15 head/neck & R/shoulder shot in charge at the Nek evac to hosp 8-15 (G) RTA wounded reemb A/Cpl 22R to 3 LHTR 12-16 tos A Sqn 1-17 to L/Cpl 4-17 WIA 14-9-17 R/leg accident kicked by horse at Abbassa rtn 1-18 to T/Cpl A Sqn A Troop (from hamersley) 3-18 revert 6-17 to T/Cpl A Sqn? (from towie) 6-18 to Cpl 8-18 to T/Sgt B Sqn? (from lovejoy) 5-19 to Sgt 7-19 

Cheers

S.B

On 24/09/2017 at 21:07, Fizgig said:

112 Private Oscar Donald Humphrey HASSELL

112 ODH Hassell is my Great Uncle, and my avatar. His last Christian  name should be spelt Humfray rather than the more common Humphrey. 

Edited by Crunchy