Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grangethorpe Hospital, Manchester

Guest Lynne Simpson

Guest Lynne Simpson

I have posted a message to Units and Formations which probably should belong here.

My grandfather, Charles Garlick, of 2/9th Manchesters was wounded on 15 April 1918 at the Battle of Lys and was immediately sent home. The edge of his tin hat was shattered by a shell and schrapnel entered his head. He spent many visits to Grangethorpe Hospital in Manchester sitting fully conscious while doctors probed about through his temple trying to extract bits of metal.

I am wondering, since he was an outpatient for some time after the war, whether the medical records are available anywhere.

Grateful for advice

Cheers

Lynne Simpson

Canberra Australia

Lynne, see http://www.manchesterhigh.co.uk/history/grangethorpe.htm for potted history of the hospital.

It says that soldiers who died in there are commemorated by a blue and gold banner and in a book of remembrance, which are kept in the church of St. James, Birch-in-Rusholme. If you can find a link to St James, eg thro Google, they may have some info. about where the medical records went.

Alternatively, the page states that records are kept at the National Archives, link provided. But I am not sure, from a quick glance, whether they will cover the period you are interested in.

Another possibility is the Red Cross. the man who set up the hospital was a member.

An enquiry to your grandfather's Manchester Regiment, not sure if that is its current name, might be worthwhile, to ask if they can provide any suggestions.

Hope you find what you are looking for,

David

Sorry about the link not working. I must have screwed up using the link button, because it is the same as John's.

Best wishes

David