Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/9th Manchester Regiment

Guest Lynne Simpson

So it is the man I indicated. His GSW would explain him wearing hospital blues. In future it would help if you posted all the details (service numbers, addresses etc) you are in possession of to save members wasting their time finding something you already know.

Simon

Dear Simon/Mancpal,

I am sorry if I have wasted the time of members here. I am completely new to this forum and, in fact, only joined today.

However, with respect, in my very first post I named him, his city of birth, listed his service number and his regiment. The photos of various documents I just downloaded today because FOLD 3 is free for this weekend and I was able to find both my grandfather and great uncle's documents there. It took me a while to find his photo and figure out how to upload it and the other documents. Please understand that I am a complete newbie at this.

I wish to offer you and your colleagues my sincere apologies if I have offended you in any way. 

With respect,

Christine

No apology necessary Christine.  We just need one of our experts to come along with an approximate date he joined, based on his number.  Otherwise, it would require a search to see if any service records still exist for soldiers with near numbers.  You could also check out the Manchester Regiment Group website and the link to their Forum:

http://www.themanchesters.org/indexold.html

Christine. having re-read your OP  I can only apologise to you. I'm not sure how I managed to read it and so comprehensively forget the content!

Simon

• Admin

Christine, please acknowledge the sources of your documentation as per forum requirements.

Michelle on behalf of the moderator team 

I looked for him on the Manchester Regiment Forum and he is not mentioned. www.themanchesters.org

I looked for him on the Ashton Pals web site and he is not listed there either but there is a roll of honour for  the 2/9th and several men have service numbers that are fairly "close". https://ashtonpals.webs.com. I did a quick Ancestry search for service records for the 4 men with Service Numbers of 3527xx and did not find anything.

The War Diary for the 2/9th is a bit hard to find on Ancestry. It starts here: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/ and the 2/9th section starts on page 265.

Peter

Edited by PJS
Fixed broken link

Hello Michelle,

11 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Christine, please acknowledge the sources of your documentation as per forum requirements.

Michelle on behalf of the moderator team 

I'm sorry not to have followed protocol. If by sources, you mean the actual URL, I'm not sure that I have that any more. I had to take a screen shot of the documents for my grandfather and great uncle. I found those 4 documents on FOLD 3, an American website devoted to military records of all kinds. It is free for this American Memorial Day weekend (even though I'm in Canada) and so I looked around while I could for free. I will try to go back in and get what information about the sources before the free-window closes later today. 

The photo of my grandfather is from my personal family collection.

I'm not sure how to go back now and add sources to that post. Sorry for my newbie ignorance.

Christine

Acknowledgement of sources of documents posted 24 May 2020 for brothers Pte William Bollard, 2/9 Manchester Regiment (352769) 

and Pte Richard Bollard, Border Regiment (4621) and Labour Corps (257586): FOLD3 by Ancestry, fold3.com 

1. Publication Title: British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920. Content Source: The Western Front Association
  2. Publication Title: UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923. Content Source: The Western Front Association
  3. Photo of Pte William Bollard (352769) circa 1917-1918. Original photographer unknown. Personal collection of Christine Caroppo, Toronto, Canada
Edited by Christine C

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to the party on this one. This is the Officers serving with the 5th Batallion Manchester Regiment at Crowborough Camp.

Source: a Facebook page about Crowborough history. I don't have an account any more so I can't post the exact link.

World War One, Officers serving with the 2 5th Battalion, Manchester Regiment at Crowborough.jpg

Edited by Guest