Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/9th Manchester Regiment

Guest Lynne Simpson

Guest Lynne Simpson

Charles Garlick enlisted in 1916 in the 2nd 9th Territorial Force, Manchester Regiment as a machine gunner. The dog tags I have in my possession show L/Cpl C Garlick: 108753 MGC CofE and he always referred to himself as a member of The Manchesters. He was my grandfather.

The anecdotal story I have from Dad is that Charles had fought in Salonica in Greece. Dad also remembers a story that Charles was shaving outside early one morning in Italy when he was buzzed at low altitude by a German aircraft and had his photo taken by one of the crew. We surmise that this may have been on the trip back from Greece. We know that Charles was in the group of men sent to Lys to relieve the gaps in the line left by retreating Portugese. There was some mention about Grenadier Guards as well.

Dad remembers clearly his father recounting that the men in his line at Lys were so thin on the ground that they were spaced at 30 yard intervals. Casualties were very high and the line was gradually withdrawing their position. Charles was wounded on 15 April, taken to a field hospital and immediately shipped home. He spent some time in Grangethorpe Hospital in Manchester.

Would be grateful for any discussion about the 2/9th Manchesters between 1916-18.

Cheers

Lynne Simpson

Hi Lynne

Looking at the medal index card (MIC) for your G/F, It has him as the 108753 Pte C. Garlick MGC, this is the only info on the card, I would say he may of join up in 1915-16 in to the 2/9 Battn Manchester Regiment and trained as a Machine Gunner with this Battn. Then at some point he was tranferred to the MGC befour March 1917 as this is when the 2/9 Battn move out to France. In your post you say he was in Salonica, the 2/9 did not go to Salonica.

The only Battn of the Manchester Regiment in Salonica were the 13th Battn.

The MIC will only show the first operational theatre in which the individual first served and the date when the individual first entered that theatre, do you have hes MIC & can you post in on the forum. Cheers Roy

Hi Lynne,

The 2/9th Manchester Battalion was in the 198th Brigade of the 66th Division.

My Great Grandfathers unit was one of the artillery brigades for the 66th Division. I have researched and compiled a day by day account of my Grandfathers movements from March 1917 to November 1918. Athough this info is not specific to your relatives unit, our relatives were in the same division and they would have been in the same areas at the same time.

My Great Grandfather would have supported your Grandfather and his unit as they advanced and attacked the German lines etc. For example on the 9th of October 1917 at Passchendale the 2/9th Manchester Battalion advanced in what was to become known as the battle of Poelcopelle. My Great grandfather manned one of the 18 pounder guns that supported that action.

In March of 1918 when the Germans launched thier Spring offensives, the 66th Division was basically wiped out in the first Battles of the Somme March 1918. Within a week of fighting, the Division was no more.

If you think this sort info would be of interest to you then by all means please reply. ILL see what I can do for you. I could certainly provide the movements of the 66th Division if nothing else.

Best regards Aaron.

• 7 years later...

Hi Aaron,

I saw your entry on a discussion on the above regiment and as it happens I am researching my great uncle 2nd Lt Francis Cyril Hampson, promoted from Pvte withthe 2/6th manchester Battalion to 2nd Lt 2/9 Manchesters on 26 Mar 1915.

I would be very interested in any light you can shed on the movements (poss Regt war diaries) for the 2/9 and in particular if you have seen any references to my great uncle. He was seconded to the MGC 42nd Battlaion, this occured in about June 1916.

I have copies of his commission docs, there is some confusion as in places it refers to the 1/9 Manchesters and in others the 2/9 Manchesters. However the commission doc from the East Lancashire Association Territorial Force shows 2/9th and was signed by a Lt Co Cunliffe, initials could be T N or F N?. He is shown as the commander of the 2/9th's.

Sorry to waffle on a bit but I would be so grateful for any info you may have. Funnily enough I too live in NZ, in Christchurch.

Regards,

Tony

• 5 years later...

The 2/9 Manchesters was a feeding battalion for other units, up until 1916(exact date unknown).

I have a magnetic brodie with liner stamped 9Man 4441.

From this tiny bit of info, I found 4441 pte anthony bradburn, 2/9 Manchester's, attatched to 1/7 kings liverpool regiment.

He arrived in france ?, and he died of his wounds on the 9th september 1916, at 36th Casualty Clearing Station at Heilly. Where he is buried.!

After reading the war diary of the 1st and 1/7 Kings Liverpool, I have come to the conclusion that he recieved his wounds on the 6th september, while on front line duty, in tea trench, between High wood and delville wood.

Diary of the 1/7 Kings reads,

Dernancourt 1st 2nd 3rd church parade , construction of strong point

Trenches 4th sept 1916 Battalion moved from Dernancourt to trenches between Delville wood + Highwood. Relieved a Battalion of the Northampton regt.

Trenches 5th sept 1916 Relief completed by 5am c+d front line , a+b support. 2nd lt Rhodes wounded

Trenches 6th sept 1916 Bombing attack on Teatrench 2/lt b.cook, missing , 2/lts betts + yeoman wounded capt randall R.A.M.C wounded

Trenches 7th sept 1916 Battn. moved into support 9th Kings

Trenches 8th sept 1916 working parties + salvaging

Trenches 9th sept 1916 Battn. moved into front lin (2 coys b+c) 2/lt harrison.w.wounded.

---"---     10th                  a + d coys (in support) relieved by 2nd N.Z.R.B.

11th                  b + c coys (in support) relieved by 11th queens.

Battn moved to Buire-sous-corbie . During last days , casualties

=9 killed , 83 wounded 5 missing , 2 died of wounds.

12th                Inspections and Coy training.                     

Edited by Lammy
more to add

My guy could be one of the 2 that died of wounds. He could have been wounded anytime between the 4th and 8th , having died of wound on the 9th at Heilly , which is 23km behind the front line fighting. The Diary only mentions the officers apart from the last entry.. Tea Trench was a huge long trench. So im guessing it was the 6th that pte bradburn got injured in the bombing and was one of the 2 that died of wounds at heilly.

After reading through this thread I thought it might be useful to provide a very brief summary of the early days of the 2/9th Manchesters:

The 2/9th battalion Manchester Regiment was formed at the Armoury in Ashton-under-Lyne in August 1914 after the 1/9th left Ashton for Bury, the divisional headquarters of the 126th (East Lancashire) Infantry Brigade. The 2/9th was formed as a feeding battalion for the 1/9th, eventually providing men to replace their heavy casualties in Gallipoli. They supplied significant reinforcements for the 1/9th Battalion on three separate dates; July 23, 1915, August 22, 1915 and October 22, 1915. Once the men of the 2/9th landed at Gallipoli their role with the 2/9th ceased and they became members of the 1/9th. Consequently, the service and pension records of these men often contain references to both the 2/9th and 1/9th.

At the end of 1915, when the 1/9th left Gallipoli for Egypt, the role of the 2/9th as a feeding unit ended and they were brought up to full battalion strength from recruits drawn mainly from the Chester and Merseyside area. In March 1917 they landed in France and fought on the Western Front as part of the 66th division.

Peter

5 hours ago, Lammy said:

My guy could be one of the 2 that died of wounds. He could have been wounded anytime between the 4th and 8th , having died of wound on the 9th at Heilly , which is 23km behind the front line fighting. The Diary only mentions the officers apart from the last entry.. Tea Trench was a huge long trench. So im guessing it was the 6th that pte bradburn got injured in the bombing and was one of the 2 that died of wounds at heilly.

The Medal Rolls Index Card for 4441 Anthony Bradburn lists two other men of the 2/9th who were also attached to the 1/7 Kings Liverpool Regiment: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/5119/41629_625537_9718-00050

For what it's worth, I thought it interesting that the other 2 men were both Killed in Action on the same day, September 7, 1916. Anthony Bradburn died of wounds on the 9th (or possibly the 8th depending upon whether or not you believe the Registers of Soldier's Effects). Seems likely that Anthony Bradburn was mortally wounded on Sept 7, 1916 in the same action that killed his 2/9th comrades.

4497 Lewis Walker             KiA    Sept 7, 1916   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60506/42511_6129999_0049-00112
4485 Samuel Smithies       KiA     Sept 7, 1916   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60506/42511_6129999_0049-00088
4441 Anthony Bradburn    DoW   Sept 8, 1916   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60506/42511_6129999_0049-00110

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello there,

I've been trying to track the movements of my beloved grandfather, William Bollard (born in Liverpool, West Derby, Lancashire, Oct. 1897). I know that he served in WWI as a private. I've figured out that he was in 2/9 Manchester Regiment. His attestation papers don't seem to have survived. I've seen his medal record, his service number was 352769. He was wounded in the groin/thigh but survived the war, thank God. He eventually emigrated to Canada, had a family, and died in Toronto. I remember him with deepest affection but was too young to ask him about his service. He never discussed it with his family. Can anyone help me figure out his service? I think from the posts above, he must have trained in Crowborough until sent to France, but I don't know what battles he was in, or when he was wounded, and if he was sent back into battle after recovering. I'd be grateful for any help you can offer. 

Thanks, Christine (Toronto)

Hello Christine, greetings from Liverpool.

Just in case there is another Wm Bollard, born Liverpool 1881 in the RFA

Dave

Name: William Bollard
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Event Place: Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Civil Parish: Cosham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Mary Magdalen Widley With St Peter & St Paul Wymering
Sub-District: Fareham
Registration District: Fareham
Relationship to Head of Household: Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated): 1881
Birthplace: Liverpool, Lancashire

Thanks, Dave. 

I'm very sure that the person you kindly listed above is not my grandfather, b. 1897. I've done a lot of research with surviving family members and on Ancestry. William was the youngest of 4 born in Liverpool. His older brother, Richard Bollard b. 1895, also joined up in WWI. They both survived and emigrated to Toronto. 

Attached is a photo of my grandfather William. He looks so terribly young. The cap badge took me ages to figure out was Manchester Regiment. Not sure why he's wearing an overcoat and not a uniform.

Christine

William Bollard 1914-1918 #352769 2/9 Manchester Reg.

2 hours ago, Christine C said:

his service number was 352769.

2 hours ago, Christine C said:

I don't know what battles he was in, or when he was wounded

I took a photo (attached) of the death plaque for Corporal Thomas Mitchell which is on display at Tyne Cot.  He was KiA on 9.10.1917 at the Battle of Poelcapelle.  I noticed it because he was 2/9 Manchesters and was killed on the same day as a soldier I was interested in, 2Lt HG Ainsworth who was in D Company of 2/9.  Thomas Mitchell's number was 352889, not a million miles from that of your relative.  It is possible, therefore, that your relative fought there too - a particularly uncomfortable time for 2/9.

Reg

DSC06249.JPG

Beneath his overcoat I wonder if he wears hospital blues indicating he is recovering from sickness or injury?

Simon

He also has an armband which I think indicates he is a patient as opposed to a soldier at home on leave in an identical great coat.

Simon

Could he be Pte William Bollard (352769) Mcr Regt? If it is him his MiC shows he didn't serve in a theatre of war before 1916 and I think his number dates from 1917. I don't have access to ancestry to see if anything else on this man is available, his service record may give details of address and NoK thus ruling him in or out if of course it survived the Blitz.

Do you have any further detail on his brother?

Simon

Edited by mancpal
missed the middle bit out

My grandfather, Pte William Bollard (352769) Manchester Regt lived at 34 Boundary Lane, Liverpool 6 with his mother, Catherine Bollard, his father Richard Bollard, his older sisters Catherine and Isobel and his older brother Richard John Francis Bollard. 

His brother Richard seems to have had 2 service numbers: Border Regiment #4621 and Labour Corps #257586. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of him.

I've attached the Medal Cards and Pension documents for both William and Richard Bollard.

Christine

poss our RichardBollard Medal Card WWI.jpg

RichardBollard WWI Pension p1.jpg

William Bollard Medal Card WWI.jpg

WmBollard WWI Pension p1.jpg

The remarks below by Simon are really interesting. If he had his photo taken while recovering from injuries it might account for his pinched and pale-looking face. He did suffer a gunshot wound to his thigh/groin. Not quite sure when as I find it hard to decipher the acronyms and short forms on the army records.

Christine

46 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Beneath his overcoat I wonder if he wears hospital blues indicating he is recovering from sickness or injury?

Simon

39 minutes ago, mancpal said:

He also has an armband which I think indicates he is a patient as opposed to a soldier at home on leave in an identical great coat.

Simon