Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BASRAH WAR MEMORIAL

Guest stephenf

I am currently serving on Op Telic 2 in Iraq and i have been lucky enough to visit the Basra War Memorial and see my Great Grandfathers name, i have taken a number of digital Pics of the memorial and if anyone would like a copy of the pics e-mail me and i will be happy to send you copies via e-mail. Or if there is a particular name or regiment you would like an image of i should be able to take some more pics. The memorial is mostly in a good condition however a number of panels have fallen down and are ruined. There are a number of local children in the area who seem to have drawn in chalk on some of the panels, but my own unit has spent time cleaning the area up. The momorial is about 50 metres long with a centre peice. The memorial comemorates all those who were killed in Mesopotamia and to all those who died in captivity in Turkey, it is broken down into Regiments then in Rank seniority. It is interesting to note that Most Indian Regiments do not mention the individual soldiers for example: 67 Punjabi Rifles 101 Indian Soldiers.

Like most war memorials it is humbling to see, and for me personally it was a very satisfying to see where my Great Grandfather is commemorated.

Steve

E-Mial flav2li@hotmail.com

Well done, Steve.

Your comment about the Indian regiments is interesting as CWGC records show that all Indian soldiers are engraved on the memorial by name. Perhaps some panels are missing?

The records say that the 67th Punjabis are all listed (206 of them) on Panels Nos. 47 & 66

Yes, Steve, well done and thanks to all the lads who helped in cleaning up a bit.

Particularly poignant for you to see your Great Grandfather's name and serve in the same theatre as he did.

Please keep your head down and I am sure we all wish you and all the guys a rapid , safe return from Iraq.

Steve

Best wishes for a speedy & safe return, mate.

If you do get chance for more piccies, three of my war memorial researchees are on there:-

12024 Pte F Horne, 8th Cheshires

11555 L/Cpl F Archer, 6th Royal Lancasters

46168 Pte S W Isherwood, 8th Royal Welch Fusiliers

Regards

John

Steve

Thank you for describing the condition of the Basra Memorial. If you have the opportunity would you please take a photograph of the following ?

Pte Norton G. Lloyd 2nd Bn Manchester Regiment - 3513440 - Panels 31 & 64.

He was 18years old and is also commemorated on The Rhayader Memorial, which I am researching.

Wishing you a safe return

Regards

Myrtle

Steve

Would you be kind enough to photograph the panel commemorating the 14th (King's) Hussars ?

Many thanks

Patrick

If not too late to ask, could you do me a picture of the memorial to Lieut R Cannon of the 6th Wiltshires? Died 5.4.16. Cwgc says he's on panels 30 & 64.

Also if you are near Amara (my atlas isn't detailed, so I don't know where that is!), I'd love a photo of Capt. John B Partington, 4th Devonshires, died 3.3.17. Said to be XXI. J . 5 , but I gather individual graves have been subsumed into a single memorial, so may be difficult to find. Both are old boys of Lincoln School

Good luck with the tour, and hope its cooling down a wee bit.

Thanks very much

Graham McAdam

Guest stephenf

Just to update you all i have received many requests and will push them all out to you in due course. If there are any requests for other memorials and cemetries in Iraq send me the details and i will do my best to get some Digital Pics.

Steve

Guest Pete Wood

I think this technology is great. I was in, what I believe is now called, 1st Gulf - the one where we got a gong for having a great sun tan B)

That was only 12 years ago, and we thought that having a Walkman was the undisputed king of technology - and that total media coverage of the conflict had been achieved by Kate Adey.

Now our 'lads' have DVDs, televisions, mobile phones, computers - and digital cameras, sending photos back to help members of this forum. Isn't the 21st century great??

Steve, I hope you'll post some photos of you and the guys at some of these war memorials soon.

Have a safe one!!

Your comment about the Indian units may make my request unattainable, but 3660 Sepoy Harke, 1/6th Jat Light Infantry, was killed in action (along with a goodly portion of his battalion) at Sheikh Sa'ad on 7 Jan.,1916. Supposedly his name is on Panel 50. If by any chance you spot it please let me know.

Cheers from the other side of the world (Canada),

Terry

Steve,

If possible could you please get me a photo of the memorial at Basra to,

Pte. W. J. Quinby,

9400. 1st Battalion, Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.

Panels 26 & 63.

Regards

Ian Chambers

G'day Steve,

Have you visited the Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery, I have a Great Uncle William Henry Lord buried there. He was an Air Mechanic with the Australian Flying Corps (Half Flight) who was captured at Kut and died while working on the railway through the Tarsus Mountains.

I have been informed that this particular cemetery has been desecrated do you know if this is correct.

Regards,

Andrew.

• 1 month later...

Steve, I would be very grateful if you could get me a photo of my Great Grandfathers deatils, on panel 7,

Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

6th Battalion

Surname-Mulville

Christian Name-Thomas

Died Date- 09/02/17

Died How-Killed In Action

Theatre Of War- Mesopotamia

Rank-A/SGT

No-14822

Many thanks

Ian G

Steve

If you get the chance could you get pictures of Baghdad(North Gate) cemetery and the grave of 34065 Pte Isaac Thompson Coates of 249 Coy Machine Gun Corps. Grave XIV.F.13

Thanks a lot and keep safe.

Garth

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

Did you realise what you were taking on when you offered this! Here are four more for your list:

Basra Memorial

47904 Gnr E F Martin, Machine Gun Corps

2Lt T Peel, 2/Black Watch

Amara War Cemetery

14861 Pte F Strickland, 9/Worcesters (XIX G.3)

Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery

265180 Sgt T H Maynard (XIX D.2)

Before the war these chaps all worked for the Board of Trade. The virtual memorial, if anyone cares to visit, is at dti.gov.uk/warmemorial. That's where the pics will be displayed, if any can be obtained.

Jill

Hello all,

I am back from Iraq and will be unable to take anymore photos, due to a lack of access to the internet i have not been able to check any posts made after 01 Oct, however i will trawl through the pics i have and we might strike lucky, all those requested pre 1st Oct i will send in the next 2 weeks. Unfortunatly i was unable to get to Amarah or Baghdad. My friend took some of the Amarah Cemetry with 35mm but will not be able to give them to me until after Xmas.

Steve