Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Easter Rising 1916

HERITAGE PLUS

Can any PAL provide me with either a photo or a source for one of the following Dublin locations as they were in 1916 or before?

Davy's Bar (Now Portobello Hotel?)

Reilly's Bar (Fort)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I'm sure I might be able to help with your request. However, a scanner might be usefull! Let's see what I can do.

Ken

The only pic. I have is of J&T Davy at Portobello Bridge. My guess is that it was taken a few years before the "Rising".

Title: 1916 The Easter Rising.

Author: Tim Pat Coogan.

Publisher: Cassell & Co.

ISBN 0304 35902 5

The credit for the picture would appear to be: Collection of Sean O'Mahoney.

If you give me a bit of time I might be able to scan it and send it to you.

Regards,

Ken

The only pic. I have is of J&T Davy at Portobello Bridge. My guess is that it was taken a few years before the "Rising".

If you give me a bit of time I might be able to scan it and send it to you.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

That would be fantastic if you could. Many thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The pic I have is quite small, however, a young lady will scan it for me at high resolution so I expect it will be adequate for your purposes, whatever they may be. It will take a few days.

If Ican be of further help please let me know.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Once again many thanks. I am currently researching pubs with military connections, Daly's and Reilly's fall into this remit.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Reilly's is driving me ga, ga. Are you sure it was a pub and if so where the bloody hell was it? I've read about it and have a vague notion of where it is but just can't locate it. Put me out of my misery!

Ken

Ken

Reilly's Bar was near the crossing of Church and King Streets. During the rising it was fortified by sacks of flour and meal from Blanchardstown Mill which was on the opposite corner of the junction and occupied by about 20 men under Jack Shouldice.

Thanks for your efforts.

Dave

Dave, found this last night in my old school history book. Not sure of copyright etc as theres nothing mentioned in the book.

Will you send me a PM with your e-maiil and I'll send you a higher resolution copy also?

Isadore

Isadore

Many thanks. I have sent you a PM

Dave

Well God's Holy Trousers! That's the pic I was having scanned. Isadore, any chance you might be able to send me a few of your old school books?

"Only joking."

Ken

Not Easter 1916 but if you want some other English references you could have The Bustard Inn on Salisbury Plain, adjacent to a large camp on the Plain used by Anzac 3Div amongst others during the Great War.

Not Great War:

Ye Olde White Harte in Hull is where the English Civil War began, when Governor decided to refuse Charles I's summons to open the gates to him in 1642.

The Old Star in York was a field hospital during the 1644 siege.

Martin

The Bustard is well known to me as I was raised in Wiltshire but the York and Hull info I did not have.

Thank-you .

Dave

Isadore

Its geographical to GB and All Ireland. I have over 800 references so far covering from Saxon times through to the Falklands War.

Dave

I've found a new expression..........

I would love to claim originality for that. Alas! Sean Connery used it in the film "The Man Who Would Be King"

So, I suppose Kipling will claim the credit.

Have to get back to the research,

Pal Ken

I am currently researching pubs with military connections, Daly's and Reilly's fall into this remit.

Dave

Do you have the pub in Cambridge where WW II airmen wrote their names on the ceiling using candle flames? I can check the name if you haven't.

Michael

Hello Dave,

In an attempt to make up for the scan of Davys Pub, I am now attempting to do something for you in relation to Reilly's Pub. I happen to know it very well and the original building still stands. However, the pub exterior has obviously changed since 1916. I will be back to you when I have something useful.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Your efforts are much appreciated.

Dave

This is Church Street Dublin in 1920. The public house on the right is called the TAP and still exists. It bears a plaque to the memory of Kevin Barry who shot dead a British soldier outside the pub. The pub on the right no longer exists and I do not know what it was called.

wig

Wig

Very many thanks.

Dave

In this photograph we are looking west, up North King St. towards Stoneybatter and the Royal Barracks. The road in the foreground from left to right, from where the photograph is taken, is Church Street. The pub on the right is now the Tap, listed as 44 North King St., but in the photograph it is number 43. On the left of the photograph is, I believe, the retail shop of the Blanchardstown Mills and Bakery, which at a later date became Drennans Bakery.

Back later with more concrete information,

Pal,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pint in the Tap today. It has a very fine wall painting of Kevin Barry. And I took this photograph of the plaque on the outside of the pub. Feel free to use it. When it says he gave his life at Mountjoy Gaol it means he was executed (by hanging) for what the authorities described at the time as the murder of a British soldier.

HERITAGE PLUS

Wig

Very many thanks for this, really appreciated.

Dave

Archived