Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Street Fighting

Ralph J. Whitehead

I came across an account of the figthing near Arras in May/June 1915 that sounded more like the fighting at Stalingrad in WWII. Has anyone else come across similar accounts that do not seem to fit the accepted ideas of trench warfare?

Ralph

Yes, on 9th April 1917 there was street fighting amongst the ruins of Fampoux, for example. Nothing like what we would imagine.

And once the war became mobile in late October 1918, the fighting in the final phase was much like Normandy in 1944 - even the ground was similar, as anyone who has looked at the ground east of Le Cateau will confirm (bocage style country); fighting was from field to field, wood to wood, village to village. Not like out popular conception of WW1 at all.

Quite a few accounts from the Eastern Front. I'll expand on this if necessary.

Dave.

Would the attack on Messines village by the New Zealanders on the 7th June 1917, classify as street fighting?

There are a lot of accounts about street fighting in 1914 (especially from the German viewpoint, because most of the British troops involved were either killed or captured). The fighting in Cruiseecke, Gheluvelt (Veldhoek!), Zandvoorde, Wytschaete, Hollebeke, Messines all involved some kind of street fighting and house to house combat. There were sometimes even still civilians present in a few cellars when the Germans captured the villages.

Jan

There was street fighting at points where open warfare reasserted itself-e.g. the early stages of the battle of Cambrai and the 1918 German Offensives and Allied 'Hundred Days'. A few examples: 1st Lancashire Fusiliers at Marcoing on the first day of Cambrai, 2nd Worcesters at Neuve Eglise in April 1918 and New Zealanders at Le Quesnoy during the final offensives.

What about the Battles for Mons (including the BEF rear-guard action) and the Marne? It was only after the conclusion of these battles that the trench system was set up.

Regards,

Matt

Interesting this. Were the soldiers trained for house to house, streetfighting combat at all? Did they have any special tactics in these circumstances?

John

I remember reading, forgive me I've forgotten where, about street fighting in Albert, France during Germany's Operation Michael, late Mar or early Apr 18. The part that sticks with me is the German’s were using a truck mounted anti aircraft gun in the direct fire mode to help clear the area near the church. Defiantly not you’re stereotypical WW1 action.

Cheers,

Jon

Lens ?

Quite a few accounts from the Eastern Front. I'll expand on this if necessary.

Dave.

Tannenberg? Masurian Lakes?

Regards,

Matt

Lublin, Chelm, Warsaw,Przemysl, Lemburg. These being some of the earlier 1914/15 accounts.

Others in the west - Fleury, Beaumont, Ornes etc. Other Verdun villages. Flers?

Dave.

The Eastern Front was far more mobile than the war of attrition in the West. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the conlicts in the East is limited, as I have always seemed to concentrate on the battles of the West.

Regards,

Matt

I think that troops of the 9th (Scottish) Division may have been involved in street fighting against the German 14th (Bavarian) Division at St-Laurent-Blangy on 9th April 1917.

Terry Reeves

I feel it is fair to say that street fighting took place in the village of Loos on the morning of 25th September 1915 by elements of the 15th and 47th Divisions...I believe the Official History by Edmonds even calls it 'street fighting'. It is recorded that Germans were still being winkled out of cellars four or five days after the 25th.

There was also a constant fighting in the ruins, cellars and houses of Hooge on the Menin Road from 1915 till 1916 (apart from the mining there).

Jan

Will Bird talks about Street Fighting in "Ghosts have warm hands" This took place on Nov 10-11 1918 in Mons. He won his MM for his part in the fighting.

Dean Owen

• 1 month later...

Their was also street fighting during the the third battle for Gaza in 1917 and also in a number of other towns and cities in Palestine such as Nazareth and Deraa to name but a few.

From Thomas McCall

At page 96 of John Laffin's "The Cost of Victory" is an account of the 23rd Bn AIF's

experiences at Ville -sur - Ancre in May 1918. A similar & controversial episode

was depicted in the ANZACS [Vale Marty]